Aldo Duscher arrives on trial - and promptly leaves?

Nicky

Got to agree with OML that it seems really strange we're looking at this. It seems that there is money to spend, a good young DM with a lot of potential that can compete for the holding midfield role with Butt seems to be as obvious a place as any to spend a bit.

Unless Allardyce has a couple of truly big money targets in mind this all does seem a bit strange.

Dare I suggest that maybe we won't be spending much money at all this summer. Mort has said there is money available, but for all we know that could be £10m, and we'll need to focus it all on defence in that case.

Perhaps the plan is to have Allardyce work on putting together a solid, cheap squad this summer that will do us for the season while Ashley and his people review the club thoroughly from top to bottom before really splashing out next year? I'm inclined to doubt it, but it's a possibility.

Begorrah!

In English, please.

You people spawned the language afterall, shouldn't be too much to ask.  ;)

Reading about a recent form dip, we should particularly be looking to avoid any Spanish based player who has sufferred a form dip over the past 12 months.

Dunno, I'd have Ronaldinho here myself.  :razz:

All those people arguing over this transfer need to button it for a week. Hes arrived here on a trial, not a free. He could be gone in a weeks time so just wait it out and see what happens.

I recall so many people on this board saying how he'd be the ideal player to sign not so long ago so he could be another free gem if we're lucky.

Guest David Kelly

I think when it comes down to it we all know our squad was paper thin last year leading to Rammage, Huntington, Edgar, Carrol, Pattison, O'Brien, Lua Lua & Triosi all being involved with the first team far too much.  We have then let Bramble, Moore, Bernard, Sibierski and Parker go and we have so far brought only four players in.

We are still very short on numbers pretty much everywhere but in keepers and strikers so we need to get quantity as well as quality in.

To get the sort of numbers we need it makes perfect sense to bring in any free transfers that are of the sort of quality we have been looking at.

Yes it will be great if we can sign Deco and Bridge and I'm sure we would all be excited by that but it won't do much good if we pick up a few injuries again and we don't have the squad to cope.

Even if Ashley is willing to spend £50m this summer it would still make sense to pad out the squad with some decent freebies.

ohmelads, you normally know your foreign players.  Is this bloke any good or not?  All I know about him is that he clogged Beckham.

Haven't seen him play in ages so I can't say I remember. He's not a player I ever really noticed, but I don't watch nearly as much Spanish football as I used to.

I'm going more off what the Depor fans are saying, which is that he was once a good player whose career has gone off the rails a bit because he let all the praise get to his head. He was always in the shadow of the excellent Mauro Silva, he was essentially a backup player who didn't complain and so many wish him well at his next club. But he didn't exactly move mountains there.

He seems like a typical Big Sam signing, someone who clearly can play a bit but has lost his way and his stock has fallen significantly. Sam's obviously hoping that a change of scenery and perhaps regular football might bring the best out of him.

Yea i agree with this, Ive watched Spanish football for a few years and he was good about 2-3 seasons ago but last season he got a few injuries and it was clear he wanted out of Deportivo. If SA can get the best out of him then we'll have a good player for free.

ohmelads, you normally know your foreign players.  Is this bloke any good or not?  All I know about him is that he clogged Beckham.

Haven't seen him play in ages so I can't say I remember. He's not a player I ever really noticed, but I don't watch nearly as much Spanish football as I used to.

I'm going more off what the Depor fans are saying, which is that he was once a good player whose career has gone off the rails a bit because he let all the praise get to his head. He was always in the shadow of the excellent Mauro Silva, he was essentially a backup player who didn't complain and so many wish him well at his next club. But he didn't exactly move mountains there.

He seems like a typical Big Sam signing, someone who clearly can play a bit but has lost his way and his stock has fallen significantly. Sam's obviously hoping that a change of scenery and perhaps regular football might bring the best out of him.

Yea i agree with this, Ive watched Spanish football for a few years and he was good about 2-3 seasons ago but last season he got a few injuries and it was clear he wanted out of Deportivo. If SA can get the best out of him then we'll have a good player for free.

I've followed Deportivo for a while now, the fans want him in the team but due to the fact a new contract can't be agreed he isn't played.

All those people arguing over this transfer need to button it for a week. Hes arrived here on a trial, not a free. He could be gone in a weeks time so just wait it out and see what happens.

I recall so many people on this board saying how he'd be the ideal player to sign not so long ago so he could be another free gem if we're lucky.

Agreed.  Look at Francesco Coco the other year.  He was shit, even against Yeading, so we sent him packing.  Once (if) he's signed, then get your knickers in a twist.

At the end of the day, if he signs, it will be free

We'll have to pay his wages, but that will be about that.

We were shown up last year, in our lack of depth, the squad was paper thin, and even if Duscher can't cut it as a first team player, I'm sure he'll be very good back-up.

The Depor fans are saying they don't want him, but thats just sour grapes, I'm sure that if he was to sign a new contract with them tomorrow they'd be delighted to have him back.

Just browsing the Depor forum out of boredom, they have a thread for each player so Duscher's thread goes all the way back to last summer. Even then they were saying they preferred De Guzman as backup than Duscher as backup and felt the best thing was to cash in on him while they could. Coloccini was also playing in defensive midfield and keeping him out the team, and he's first and foremost a centre back by trade.

Apparently Duscher had a tendancy to put on weight during spells on the sidelines/bench too. Perhaps Sam feels he needs to judge his condition and commitment more than anything else.

Just browsing the Depor forum out of boredom, they have a thread for each player so Duscher's thread goes all the way back to last summer. Even then they were saying they preferred De Guzman as backup than Duscher as backup and felt the best thing was to cash in on him while they could. Coloccini was also playing in defensive midfield and keeping him out the team, and he's first and foremost a centre back by trade.

Apparently Duscher had a tendancy to put on weight during spells on the sidelines/bench too. Perhaps Sam feels he needs to judge his condition and commitment more than anything else.

What your trying to say is, you read one post which said cash in and assumed the rest had the same opinion.

What your trying to say is, you read one post which said cash in and assumed the rest had the same opinion.

Well if you want I can point you to the thread, the vast majority are saying the same things. It's in Spanish mind.

Well if you want I can point you to the thread, the vast majority are saying the same things. It's in Spanish mind.

I'm a regular on the english version and i can assure you they rate Duscher.

Thanks, given this & putting aside all opinion I again ask why are we having to go down this route? What's going on to make this necessary.

People who are having a pre-knock at Duscher can you lay out clearly why?

Not having a pre-knock (what sort of sad loser has a pre-anything, anyway?) so to speak, but it does seem like there's not really much chance of this guy being any sort of improvement on Butt, just someone to provide depth.

While depth is all well and good, IF we have a bit of money to spend then it does seem logical to spend it on a young DM that will learn from, and ultimately replace, Butt, rather than someone like Duscher who seems to have a very limited upside.

They put free transfer + a few comments on the Deportivo forum and came to the conclusion he was shit.

As I suspected. And querying the transfer strategey of Sam or beginning to alreays is utter muppetry.

They put free transfer + a few comments on the Deportivo forum and came to the conclusion he was s***.

Are you his mother or something?

Personally I'd tend to put a fair bit of value on what fans of his own team have to say about him.

They put free transfer + a few comments on the Deportivo forum and came to the conclusion he was s***.

Personally I'd tend to put a fair bit of value on what fans of his own team have to say about him.

I would, i speak to a lot of them every week  :uglystupid2:

I would, i speak to a lot of them every week  :uglystupid2:

Post the link to the forum where they all say he's a good player, I'd like to read it.

Not when they've not seen him play. But then thats what this threads for, discussing Aldo Duscher I guess. I'll just reserve my judgement for now as hes on a trial and nothing more. I'll trust in Sam decision.