Left-Back

Guest jamesmartinsmith
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive difference between playing LB against Carlisle and playing as LB in the Prem, he is to much of a lightweight IMO for that role game in game out. We must buy a LB and Nicky Shorey is looking like the best bet right now..

Thats if we would around £7mill for him, personally I would pay it..

Wouldn't be keen on playing N'Zogbia at LB anyway, but too lightweight for the position? Reckon he'd be a lot more powerful than the majority of LB's in the Premiership.

I am pretty sure Zog has all the attributes to be a terrific LB but I don't think he'd put his heart into it. Considering he's unsettled as it is, might not work out, although I agree he's a far better bet than some of the names being bandied about. Would far rather see a real LB brought in and Zog given the left mid role.

If Zog was up for it, he would make a superb left-back, as I have said elsewhere. Aren't Roberto Carlos and Ashley Cole also a bit lightweight? I do agree though that I he probably wouldn't want to play there, and especially in his current frame of mind would probably spit the dummy if asked to do so.

Depending on the system I don't think playing there would necessarily have to be a waste of his talents either, Ashley Cole in his Arsenal days being the prime example (of course he did have a few canny players around him to pick up the pieces)

Don't know where people are getting this idea that Zog is lightweight. He's filled out a lot in the last two years and is physically bigger than many LB's in the Prem. And twice as hard.

Being lightweight doesn't matter a great deal. Gael Clichy is weaker than N'Zogbia, Lee Young Pyo is pretty lightweight as well. But it does help if you can knock people off the ball. Someone gave the example of Roberto Carlos but he's actually very powerful despite his lack of height. It's not the be all and end all though, IMO.

What's more important defensively is reading the game and not getting caught out of position. Pace and stamina help a great deal too. For someone who has grown up as a winger it may take a while to instil the defensive side of the game into him, because his natural urge will be to get forward. I think he could potentially be moulded into a LB but it would be a waste of his talents IMO.

I hope Zoggy isn't our 'new left back'  :undecided:

Being lightweight doesn't matter a great deal. Gael Clichy is weaker than N'Zogbia, Lee Young Pyo is pretty lightweight as well. But it does help if you can knock people off the ball. Someone gave the example of Roberto Carlos but he's actually very powerful despite his lack of height. It's not the be all and end all though, IMO.

What's more important defensively is reading the game and not getting caught out of position. Pace and stamina help a great deal too. For someone who has grown up as a winger it may take a while to instil the defensive side of the game into him, because his natural urge will be to get forward. I think he could potentially be moulded into a LB but it would be a waste of his talents IMO.

I'd take him playing there as cover for Bridge untill he is fit, if Baggio is right that is.

I'd take him playing there as cover for Bridge untill he is fit, if Baggio is right that is.

...he's off to Spurs. :cheesy:

:shifty:

Agreed, especially as Bridge shouldn't be out for too long.

But it is absolutely imperative that N'Zogbia is only a back-up, putting our faith in him to somehow become the answer to our LB problems permanently would be shocking. Thankfully I don't see that happening.

But it is absolutely imperative that N'Zogbia is only a back-up, putting our faith in him to somehow become the answer to our LB problems permanently would be shocking. Thankfully I don't see that happening.

:coolsmiley:

:coolsmiley:

I want to believe you, but you've hurt me too many times. :lol:

It would only be temporary and i think Sam said 'he could the best player at LB the club has atm'.

He could be prepared to wait untill end of august, so is planning to use Zog as an initial stop-gap.

I could be well "wide of the mark" here, but wasn't the Zog a full back when we pinched him from Le Havre?

*edit* pretty sure that I'm wrong on that, after checking his Wiki. Incidentally, do you know anyone who calls him "'Super N'Zoggy'"??

Don't be surprised if he comes in as our left-back. He was linked with Man City today but I will be surprised if Sam isn't snooping around him as well.

Very similar to Heinze. Tough left-back who can also play as a centre-back also. The only thing is that he is 31, but he was still effective and impressive for Sevilla last season. Contract is up next summer so he won't cost a lot of money either.

If Sam doesn't have an eye on him I will be dissapointed.

Make it happen Sammy  :coolsmiley:

Don't we have like 324214 other thread this could come under?

I counted only 324205  ... and they were clogged up with too much random stuff anyway.

Besides I think this player deserves his own thread and a proper discussion on his abilities. We really ought to bring him in.

Don't we have like 324214 other thread this could come under?

Yes, yes we do. Daves not about tomake the magic happen though :(

Stay away Dave  :knuppel2:

You'll only have to open it back up when we sign him anyway  :razz:

New name, new alternative, new thread.

Let it roll... :coolsmiley:

That was a dirty trick Midds! You'll pay for it too.

You must reopen my thread if he signs agreed? Meanwhile I'll get in touch with my Serbian contacts to make sure it happens.

:smiley6600:

*edit: You'll choke on that dollar note ChezGiven you just wait ...  :razz:

New name, new alternative, new thread.

Let it roll... :coolsmiley:

That was a dirty trick Midds! You'll pay for it too.

You must reopen my thread if he signs agreed? Meanwhile I'll get in touch with my Serbian contacts to make sure it happens.

:smiley6600:

Just for the record, I didn't merge anything.  :lol:

I thought it deserved it's own thread but I was overruled ... :undecided:

Sorry.  :blush:

Haven't reached the chapter that tells you how to un-merge threads in the N-O Mod Guidebook yet so going to have to leave it with you.

'Split topic'

Get on it.  :lol: