Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

£2 million for a GK never to play for the 1st team seems a bit areet to me.

Considering we got £6m from the richest club in the world for a proven, upper tier keeper (in January no less) I'd say it's fantastic.

It's very hard to guage his value because of his desire to remain at Celtic combined with never having played for us in the PL.

One would have thought a PL club would have come in for him by now if he was truely as good as thought, if not, then it'd be wise to take the money.

Guest Shaun

I find it funny that goalkeepers are the cheapest players to buy, but are the most important players on the field.

I find it funny that goalkeepers are the cheapest players to buy, but are the most important players on the field.

I wouldn't say they're the most important people on the field, but I know what you mean. I'm surprised every single keeper in the top flight isn't flawless really. When you think about it they should be the most perfect example of their position, every team only needs to find a couple.

I wouldn't say they're the most important people on the field, but I know what you mean. I'm surprised every single keeper in the top flight isn't flawless really. When you think about it they should be the most perfect example of their position, every team only needs to find a couple.

While that may be true it's very rare that people actually want to become a goalkeeper so, proportionally, there's less to choose from I'd say.

While that may be true it's very rare that people actually want to become a goalkeeper so, proportionally, there's less to choose from I'd say.

Very true, I thought that as I was typing it. Anyone who's half decent must have a pretty good chance of being a pro keeper!

I'd tell him to fight for his place at the club, we've got a lot of games next season, and 90% of them are bigger and more important than any game he'll play at Celtic. If he doesn't get the game time he feels he deserves after this then go, but I think it's daft for the player and the club to let him go now, he's still learning.

I suppose at the end of the day, the club has always towed the line that if a player doesn't want to be here, then they are free to leave, and the quicker the better. In how publicly Forster has come out he wants to stay at Celtic, combined with Pardew absolutely slating the quality of the football in that league, only buries this further. In that regard I very much doubt he'll ever play for us again.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2012/05/12/neil-lennon-fraser-forster-can-star-for-celtic-and-england-86908-23856253/

Neil Lennon: Fraser Forster can star for Celtic and England

May 12 2012 by Hugh Keevins

NEIL LENNON insists Fraser Forster can play a starring role for England – while staying with Celtic and building his reputation as a top-class keeper.

All the Hoops boss has to do now is get in touch with the player’s agent and hammer out a deal that keeps Forster in Scotland.

Lennon said: “We can’t wait forever and Fraser is aware of that. We’ve been talking for a few weeks but eventually we need to sit down with his agent and thrash a deal out.

“That’s what Celtic want to do but we can’t control people who might be telling Fraser different stories.”

Celtic have had a £2million offer for Forster accepted by Newcastle and Lennon believes the player wants to stay in the SPL.

Now he must convince Forster he can do that without harming his international ambitions.

He said: “Playing for England is a big carrot for Fraser but I don’t see any reason why he can’t achieve that here.

“Is there really such a big difference between England and Scotland?

“I can’t see a huge gulf between the bottom half of their Premier League and the top half of ours.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4311865/Lenny-raps-Fraser-Forsters-agent.html

Lenny raps Fras agent

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today at 00:02

NEIL LENNON warned Fraser Forster’s agent last night to stop messing him about.

The Celtic gaffer is desperate for the on-loan Newcastle keeper to sign a new deal.

A £2million fee has been agreed between the clubs.

But Lennon revealed Forster’s advisor hasn’t returned his calls.

And he rapped: “This is a priority. We will get Sunday out of the way and we really want to keep him.

“We have put a decent offer on the table, which we know because there is a clause in his contract.

“It’s a case of nailing down personal terms now. If you can get hold of his agent, we would appreciate it.

“He is being very elusive. We’re trying to make contact with him but that has been very difficult to do in the last two weeks.”

Forster is now mulling over his future and he is uncertain whether his international chances would suffer being in the SPL.

Lennon said: “I don’t see any reason why he can’t do it here, I really don’t. If he is playing as consistently well as he has been doing, then the exposure he gets here.

“And again, we can go on about the differential between England and Scotland. Is it so big? I am not so sure.

“Sure, it is in the top half of Premier League. But if you look down in bottom half and certainly in the Premier League there is not much of a difference. There is in terms of finance but some of players there are grossly overpaid — and I’d have never thought I would say that.

“The very top players get what is coming to them, but when we have gone in for players some of the figures are telephone numbers.

“You think ‘No, I will go elsewhere and try and find better’.

“I think Fraser would like to stay. We’ve had that chat already.

“His performances in Europe and consistency in the league here, whether or not people think he is tested enough here is another thing.

“But the progress he has made is phenomenal, to the point that people don’t talk much about Artur Boruc, and he was a world class keeper.”

Lennon cannot wait on Forster forever as he would need to find a replacement if he turns down the contract offer.

He added: “We can’t control it if others are telling him differently.”

Sounds like Forster is still dragging his heels on committing to Celtic. I don't blame him. He's won the Scottish Championship so there's not much left to win there. With Rangers screwed the Scottish League has gone from a 2 club league to a 1 club league. If he wants to be challenged he won't stay at Celtic.

:thup:

Really would like a good experienced keeper. Someone a little to old to demand a starting place but good enough as back up.

Mentioned Jussi at Bolton before, their fan said he was just being kept out by an impressive Bogdan iirc. Bit arrogant but warming our bench and maybe getting some European games would be better than warming the bench of a championship/struggling club? (Sorry jukebox).

If we're accepting offers for him then we'll probably need a new backup keeper for next year. I really doubt we'd be doing as well as we are if Krul got a bad injury in February.

NUFC put a £2m purchase clause option in Forster's loan contract to Celtic.

Forster has said previously that he wants to start every game. He doesn't want to stay at NUFC and play second fiddle to Krul.

If we're accepting offers for him then we'll probably need a new backup keeper for next year. I really doubt we'd be doing as well as we are if Krul got a bad injury in February.

NUFC put a £2m purchase clause option in Forster's loan contract to Celtic.

Forster has said previously that he wants to start every game. He doesn't want to stay at NUFC and play second fiddle to Krul.

He should for a year at least, one game in the English prem is worth 10 in the Scottish division. His profile will rocket off the back of a few good performances, or is he worried about his limited talent? Rather be a medium sized fish in a tea cup?

We need to be fighting on all fronts, with League Cup, FA & Euro competitions he should be looking at 15 games should he be good enough.

Heading back by the sounds of it with Craig Gordon going to Celtic...

As I've argued before, hope we keep him and play him in the cups next season and as a deputy for Krul so we have a ready made replacement if some club decides to put in an offer we can't refuse for Mr Unbelievable.

Guest Roger Kint

Seriously doubt Forster is going to come back here to sit on the bench for anything. he has had 3 seasons or so of constant football so going back to 5-10 cup games a season will not be an option to him.

The club and himself are probably better off waiting for a better option for him. I'm sure there is a premiership club out there willing to take him for bigger fees and wages.

If not he might fancing staying at Newcastle for a year or moving into the championship. The SPL is no place for a good young player. He would have been in the England squad by now had he not been up there.

The conspiracy theorists would claim we are going to cash in on Krul and use Forster but that won't happen.

Seriously doubt Forster is going to come back here to sit on the bench for anything. he has had 3 seasons or so of constant football so going back to 5-10 cup games a season will not be an option to him.

With the Europa League (if we manage to qualify for the group round) I suspect it will be more like 10-15 cup games in the first half of the season alone. It's up to him to make a good impression and push Krul for a first team spot from there on in, just like Krul has had to do with Harper last season. Whilst I obviously love Krul I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Forster could realistically see some Premiership action next season.

To me it doesn't make sense to let go of one of the country's most talented young goalkeepers, and a product of our academy, when we are facing the very real prospect of losing Krul as soon as somebody decides to put a 10m+ offer in for him.