Baines signs for Everton

Guest hindu times

Alan Irvine pretty much confirms it:

Alan Irvine has confirmed that Everton are hopeful of securing Leighton Baines.

Speaking after the Blues drew 0-0 at Crystal Palace on Saturday, Irvine stressed that although the deal was by no means complete the move for the highly-rated Wigan defender was ‘nearly there'.

"We are at least part of the way down the road," he said.

"But with the demands made by everyone these days I will only believe it is going to happen when it actually does happen.  We have been talking to Leighton and hopefully sorting things out with him."

In the post-match press conference at Selhurst Park, Irvine was asked whether or not he considered the rumoured transfer fee of £6m to be slightly excessive for a full-back.

The Everton assistant manager refuted that suggestion emphatically.

"When you look at the prices that are going around these days then £6m is not a great deal of money," he said.

"Leighton has got real potential to play for his country. Anyone who saw him in the European Under-21 Championships would have been impressed with him.

"He is a good footballer, a nice passer of the ball, he has loads of energy and he is quick so there are lots of reasons for wanting to sign a player like him."

Guest Knightrider

Speaking after the Blues drew 0-0 at Crystal Palace on Saturday, Irvine stressed that although the deal was by no means complete the move for the highly-rated Wigan defender was ‘nearly there'.

"But with the demands made by everyone these days I will only believe it is going to happen when it actually does happen.  We have been talking to Leighton and hopefully sorting things out with him."

In the post-match press conference at Selhurst Park, Irvine was asked whether or not he considered the rumoured transfer fee of £6m to be slightly excessive for a full-back.

"When you look at the prices that are going around these days then £6m is not a great deal of money," he said.

"Leighton has got real potential to play for his country. Anyone who saw him in the European Under-21 Championships would have been impressed with him.

"He is a good footballer, a nice passer of the ball, he has loads of energy and he is quick so there are lots of reasons for wanting to sign a player like him."

Aye, but you do know we are also in talks with him don't you?

Incase you've missed it:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_2640553,00.html

Skysports.com understands Wigan ace Leighton Baines is in talks with Everton and Newcastle.

Wigan have given permission to Baines to talk to both clubs after they accepted undisclosed bids from their Premiership rivals for the talented full-back.

The Latics have reluctantly agreed to let Baines move as they look to get their squad in place for the start of the new season next weekend.

Baines has attracted the interest of a host of clubs with Sunderland failing to persuade him to move to the Stadium of Light after having a fee accepted for his services last month.

Everton are in the market for a new left-back with Joleon Lescott being played out of position in the role last season.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admitted on Friday that he could make a move for Baines as he looks to reshape his defensive options at St James' Park.

Baines is set to meet both clubs to discuss a possible move and the defender is expected to make a decision on his future over the weekend.

It is believed Everton are favourites to land Baines ahead of Newcastle because the player is keen to stay in the North West.

Speaking after the Blues drew 0-0 at Crystal Palace on Saturday, Irvine stressed that although the deal was by no means complete the move for the highly-rated Wigan defender was ?nearly there'.

He's still ill/inj?

Speaking after the Blues drew 0-0 at Crystal Palace on Saturday, Irvine stressed that although the deal was by no means complete the move for the highly-rated Wigan defender was nearly there'.

Incase you've missed it:

Skysports.com understands Wigan ace Leighton Baines is in talks with Everton and Newcastle.

Wigan have given permission to Baines to talk to both clubs after they accepted undisclosed bids from their Premiership rivals for the talented full-back.

The Latics have reluctantly agreed to let Baines move as they look to get their squad in place for the start of the new season next weekend.

Baines has attracted the interest of a host of clubs with Sunderland failing to persuade him to move to the Stadium of Light after having a fee accepted for his services last month.

Everton are in the market for a new left-back with Joleon Lescott being played out of position in the role last season.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admitted on Friday that he could make a move for Baines as he looks to reshape his defensive options at St James' Park.

Baines is set to meet both clubs to discuss a possible move and the defender is expected to make a decision on his future over the weekend.

It is believed Everton are favourites to land Baines ahead of Newcastle because the player is keen to stay in the North West.

Quotes from Sam about Enrique FTW.

Incase you've missed it:

:lol:

Regarding Baines' supposed following for Everton football club ...

"As a boy I supported... Liverpool. As a local lad I used to watch from The Kop when Robbie Fowler was making his name. I started out at Liverpool's Centre of Excellence and although it was disappointing when nothing came of it, I was lucky that both Wigan and Wolves wanted to sign me."

http://www.fourfourtwo.premiumtv.co.uk/page/TheBoys/0,,11442~587312,00.html

Guest firetotheworks

Im not gunna come out with the usual crap that spurs fans tend to about missed targets (only signed for them for the money etc). I like Baines a lot, thought he was a good player in a poor side. I can see him doing well at everton. Id be happy if wor enrique turned out to be as good as baines, especially considering the transfer fee and age.

Im not gunna come out with the usual crap that spurs fans tend to about missed targets (only signed for them for the money etc). I like Baines a lot, thought he was a good player in a poor side. I can see him doing well at everton. Id be happy if wor enrique turned out to be as good as baines, especially considering the transfer fee and age.

Yep he had his faults and had a not so good season last season, but i'd have liked to see him come here and he remains a good player, but we've gone elsewhere, lets hope Enrique is the real deal.

Solid signing for Everton. I presume this means they'll be playing Yobo and Lescott together at CB now, with Jagielka at RB that's a very solid looking back 4. Still question marks over Howard for me though.

Why anyone would give a fuck who that midget Baines signs for is beyond me. Wildly overrated and mindbogglingly over priced.

I thought this story's relevance died on friday when it was confirmed we were signing José.

Guest niina

Hopefully Enrique will be good left back for us (not only a good left back but a good left back FOR us), otherwise I will regret very much the news Baines joins Everton...