José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Not a relevant question tbh.

The question you should be asking is who may be sold on the basis of that model.

Well that and what were his intentions of buying Ben Arfa when he was injured, loaning a headfuck at minimal cost and securing Tiote by giving him more money.

Why would he offer someone significantly more money for an extra years commitment?

Protecting his value (Tiote)

Grabbing a bargain (Ben Arfa & possibly Ireland)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the principles of the model, more the fact the club aren't just up front about it.

We are a feeder club now and the kids he'll buy in the summer, if they prove themselves by Xmas will be wrapped up in long term deals in order to sell to the highest bidder come next summer.

All good as long as Carr isn't hit by a bus, the team morale doesn't dive bomb a la relegation year (hence Nolan imho) and the fans don't stop turning up.

My understanding is that Liverpool were sniffing around Ben Arfa so the club decide to push the deal through early rather than wait until the end of the season and risk losing him.  Since they had agreed such a good price for him, once Ben Arfa signed that contract, they can almost certainly sell him for an immediate profit.  I know he has a lot to prove after the injury but even now before he has played again, they would easily get more than £5m for him.

Fucking Liverpool  :lol:

This Summer will surely show Ashley's true intentions once and for all.  He is in the last chance saloon.  Will he sell several of our better players and replace them with poorer ones?   With the £35m+ received in transfer monies (assuming Jose goes), he has no excuses and failure to strengthen the squad will make it obvious to all supporters that he is not interested in improving the club in any way other than financially.  At that point, I think a lot of fans who have given him the benefit of the doubt up till now, will decide enough is enough.

there are two schools of thought amongst NUFC fans, one as posted above by wallace and the other that says mike ashley is the devil incarnate and he is somehow syphoning off any transfer profits into his own pocket.

Rubbish. There will still be Ashley sympathisers on this forum no matter the kind of players we bring in this summer.

This Summer will surely show Ashley's true intentions once and for all.  He is in the last chance saloon.  Will he sell several of our better players and replace them with poorer ones?  With the £35m+ received in transfer monies (assuming Jose goes), he has no excuses and failure to strengthen the squad will make it obvious to all supporters that he is not interested in improving the club in any way other than financially.  At that point, I think a lot of fans who have given him the benefit of the doubt up till now, will decide enough is enough.

there are two schools of thought amongst NUFC fans, one as posted above by wallace and the other that says mike ashley is the devil incarnate and he is somehow syphoning off any transfer profits into his own pocket.

Rubbish. There will still be Ashley sympathisers on this forum no matter the kind of players we bring in this summer.

i'd doubt it.

This Summer will surely show Ashley's true intentions once and for all.  He is in the last chance saloon.  Will he sell several of our better players and replace them with poorer ones?   With the £35m+ received in transfer monies (assuming Jose goes), he has no excuses and failure to strengthen the squad will make it obvious to all supporters that he is not interested in improving the club in any way other than financially.  At that point, I think a lot of fans who have given him the benefit of the doubt up till now, will decide enough is enough.

:thup: Yup you described my position perfectly

I have confidence in Carr: he'll find a good replacement..

Hasn't he only been responsible for 1 signing for us so far, ie Tiote? One player isn't much to base any confidence on really.

Here's how £45m+ was spent at Man City under Eriksson when Carr was chief scout :

Benjani £3,870,000

Felipe Caicedo £5,200,000

Valeri Bojinov £5,750,000

Elano £8,000,000

Vedran Corluka £8,000,000

Javier Garrido £1,500,000

Martin Petrov £4,700,000

Geovanni Free        

Rolando Bianchi £8,800,000

and City signings pre-moneybags era from the rest of his time there (for an idea of how good he is at spotting cheap/unknown players who come good) :

Season 06/07

Andreas Isaksson £2,000,000    

Hatem Trabelsi Free

Bernardo Corradi Signed

Dietmar Hamann £400,000

Season 05/06          

Ousmane Dabo Free

Paul Dickov Free

Joe Hart £1,500,000

Matthew Mills £250,000

Georgios Samaras £6,000,000

Darius Vassell £2,000,000

Andy Cole Free

Season 04/05          

Ronald Waterreus Free

Danny Mills Free

Inspiring? ???

How will the squad gradually improve when constant turnover of top players? Surely, eventually, something has to give?

Constant turnover of top players? Isn't that to exaggerate a bit? Carroll's sale was the right thing to do. The deal was terrific. And Enrqiue wants to be sold. That's only two players. Together they have generated a whopping £50 mill. Used wisely, we could buy us a hell of a team that will be much stronger than a team consisting of Carroll and Enrique and mediocre recruitments.

The first thing I'll look at with interest is where Liverpool finish in the table and if they land a place in the Europa Cup.  If they don't then the immediate "I want European football" argument is taken off the table as neither Liverpool nor Newcastle will play European football next year (unless, of course, a big Spanish or Italian club move on Enrique).  Then it will come down to how Jose Enrique perceives the relative aspirations of Newcastle and Liverpool and from that outcome I think we'd be able to determine Ashley's commitment.

How will the squad gradually improve when constant turnover of top players? Surely, eventually, something has to give?

Constant turnover of top players? Isn't that to exaggerate a bit? Carroll's sale was the right thing to do. The deal was terrific. And Enrqiue wants to be sold. That's only two players. Together they have generated a whopping £50 mill. Used wisely, we could buy us a hell of a team that will be much stronger than a team consisting of Carroll and Enrique and mediocre recruitments.

Ashley's PR department would be so proud of you.

This Summer will surely show Ashley's true intentions once and for all.  He is in the last chance saloon.  Will he sell several of our better players and replace them with poorer ones?   With the £35m+ received in transfer monies (assuming Jose goes), he has no excuses and failure to strengthen the squad will make it obvious to all supporters that he is not interested in improving the club in any way other than financially.  At that point, I think a lot of fans who have given him the benefit of the doubt up till now, will decide enough is enough.

:thup: Yup you described my position perfectly

Completely fair position to be in. Given everything that has happened since he took over our club, you can't blame people for being pessimistic.

Isn't what he said fact?

Even Enrique hasn't left, so actually this is all based on one player sale.

More money than we ever dreamt of? No football dream I've ever had involved money, believe me. I don't get excited by signings, by bargains, by low wages or good fees. All I could give a f*** about is Newcastle winning on any given day.

Think this sums up my view perfectly.

More money than we ever dreamt of? No football dream I've ever had involved money, believe me. I don't get excited by signings, by bargains, by low wages or good fees. All I could give a f*** about is Newcastle winning on any given day.

Think this sums up my view perfectly.

Well it's slightly pointless debating about signings then, isn't it? When we win the club's being run properly, and when we don't it isn't.

Just wait 'til 5pm on a Saturday and talk about the result.

Then give me evidence! Where are all the key players that are constantly sold?

It will be a fantastic deal.

If we sign a hell of a team.

At the minute, we've lost our star player.  Which makes it a terrible deal.

As always, Carroll's deal (and Enrique's if true) will rest on what we do in the summer.

It's what people are predicting.

I have confidence in Carr: he'll find a good replacement..

Hasn't he only been responsible for 1 signing for us so far, ie Tiote? One player isn't much to base any confidence on really.

Here's how £45m+ was spent at Man City under Eriksson when Carr was chief scout :

Benjani £3,870,000

Felipe Caicedo £5,200,000

Valeri Bojinov £5,750,000

Elano £8,000,000

Vedran Corluka £8,000,000

Javier Garrido £1,500,000

Martin Petrov £4,700,000

Geovanni Free        

Rolando Bianchi £8,800,000

and City signings pre-moneybags era from the rest of his time there (for an idea of how good he is at spotting cheap/unknown players who come good) :

Season 06/07

Andreas Isaksson £2,000,000    

Hatem Trabelsi Free

Bernardo Corradi Signed

Dietmar Hamann £400,000

Season 05/06          

Ousmane Dabo Free

Paul Dickov Free

Joe Hart £1,500,000

Matthew Mills £250,000

Georgios Samaras £6,000,000

Darius Vassell £2,000,000

Andy Cole Free

Season 04/05          

Ronald Waterreus Free

Danny Mills Free

Inspiring? ???

Yes, I'd say so. All in bold were at the time inspiring signings imo.

As always, Carroll's deal (and Enrique's if true) will rest on what we do in the summer.

Totally agree. Everything depends on what's done this summer! Unlike you whining bitches, I got a positive feeling though :)

Enrique with years remaining on his contract probably fetches close to 25m. He's a top, top player. There isn't a reason in the world that can justify him leaving. If he does, there will only be one party to blame.

£25m? No club in the world would pay that when the likes of Evra, Abidal etc. were signed for much less.

Enrique with years remaining on his contract probably fetches close to 25m. He's a top, top player. There isn't a reason in the world that can justify him leaving. If he does, there will only be one party to blame.

£25m? No club in the world would pay that when the likes of Evra, Abidal etc. were signed for much less.

Man City spent £16 million on Kolarov, £22 million on Lescott ... £27 million on Milner?

Man City spent £16 million on Kolarov, £22 million on Lescott ... £27 million on Milner?

Maybe Man City as an exception but they've just signed Kolarov so you can rule them out as well.

Either way, even Real Madrid and Barcelona wouldn't pay that much.

£25 million is a lot, I agree.

If Enrique had signed say a three-year contract extension back in October (which if we were a serious club we would have offered him) how much would he be worth in your eyes?