José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Certainly were, fortunately we had given ourselves the financial cushion of FCB's £££ to stop us heading the same way.

Ashley stopped us heading the same way as two teams who were in the same league as us, how does that work?

How many Premier League clubs have disappeared due to financial problems? None. Only one has ever gone into administration and they were punching way above their weight to start with.

The club's finances were in a poor state when Ashley arrived but some go way overboard with it IMO.

And also partly base their beliefs on statements released by the Ashley regime after it first took over. They seemed credible enough people at the time, but in light of subsequent events, these claims should also be revisited...  Not saying they weren't bad, they clearly were, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that point was spun to breaking point.

As I recall a number of the debts were called in due to the change in ownership, which obviously would make things look worse. I'm not saying the cash injection wasn't very welcome, but talk of the club not existing is laughable.

Yep, that's right. Even if some find it laughable, we had favourable loans based upon debtors having faith in our old administration. For whatever reason (not trying to criticise in this instance), they withdrew their credit when Ashley bought us.

Sorry but that is a very glib dismissal of the poor financial legacy of our previous owners. I've spouted long and hard on this subject elsewhere on this board. Not going to do so again - especially on a Jose Enrique thread  :lol:

I was talking in general about the financial model Ashley is operating. The Carroll deal is a case apart, as was Spurs' sale of Berbatov. As it happens I'm not concerned that the every penny of the Carroll money is reinvested tbh, its more a case of getting players in who can do what we need. Over the years some very good players have had cost very little - e.g. Lee, Solano, Given and now Tiote of course. So money spent isn't the criterion I would use.

I agree that quality comes before how much we spend, I'll be greedy and want the lot spent on the type of player you mention.  I think we've hit a bit of a jackpot once we get through this season.  To fritter it away would be crazy and I hope we take advantage of the situation rather than squander the unexpected opportunity.  We have money that couldn't have been budgeted for and we should use it.

How many Premier League clubs have disappeared due to financial problems? None. Only one has ever gone into administration and they were punching way above their weight to start with.

The club's finances were in a poor state when Ashley arrived but some go way overboard with it IMO.

And also partly base their beliefs on statements released by the Ashley regime after it first took over. They seemed credible enough people at the time, but in light of subsequent events, these claims should also be revisited...  Not saying they weren't bad, they clearly were, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that point was spun to breaking point.

As I recall a number of the debts were called in due to the change in ownership, which obviously would make things look worse. I'm not saying the cash injection wasn't very welcome, but talk of the club not existing is laughable.

Yep, that's right. Even if some find it laughable, we had favourable loans based upon debtors having faith in our old administration. For whatever reason (not trying to criticise in this instance), they withdrew their credit when Ashley bought us.

Sorry but that is a very glib dismissal of the poor financial legacy of our previous owners. I've spouted long and hard on this subject elsewhere on this board. Not going to do so again - especially on a Jose Enrique thread  :lol:

? It's true. Our structured debts suddenly got toploaded due to a security clause, when that happens by surprise it's liable to make any situation worse than it was before. You don't need to preach to me about problems the old regime did have, though, I'm converted.

Well, I'd just like to say (feeling a bit wistful here)....

The 4 years he will have been with us by the summer is a comparitively long time for someone to be at a club these days. So I'm feeling grateful.

Its been a complete joy watching him blossom into the best left back i can ever remember in a black and white shirt.

:thup:

Find it hard to imagine ever criticising the guy. If he ever does have to leave, I hope he handles everything in a reasonable enough way, and I expect he will. This non-negotiation is a good sign. And I promise I won't believe any 'what a complete b******' hijinks the club suddenly accuse him of as he goes out the door...

That wasn't suitably grateful-sounding, was it?

He's given all we could ask of him and more while he's been here. A great, decent and cheerful character who's played a big role in creating what's been, or should have been, a very special time for the club.

And despite everything that’s gone down at the club, there’s no doubt he’s loved it here.

Liverpool scout was there on Saturday watching José. Very interested apparently.

Anyone but them if worse comes to worse.

This.

I could just about take him going to Man U, Chelsea, Man City or Arsenal, but please not Liverpool.

If he was to go, how much do you think we'd get?

If he was to leave for say, £10-12m and we got Taiwo on a Bosman from Marseille in the summer it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world. Would sooner he stayed though.

£10-£12 million would be too low as any player coming in could prove to be a lesser player, quite a few players fail to settle into clubs and an Enrique replacement is no different.  He's the best left-back that I've seen at the club so replacing him to his standard is likely to cost more, if it's possible.

This is just getting stupid, i doubt Tiote or Jose will be off in the summer, but we have always sold a player if a significantly bigger club comes in for them. If we are genuinely blessed with 3 such players attracting offers in two windows then we are in pretty remarkable times.

Anyone care to list the players who have attracted significant bids in the past that we have managed to hold onto?

http://www.wealdenrangersfc.co.uk/sapphire/wealdenrangersfc/Links/Middlesbrough_FC_Club_Badge.gif

http://www.weddingsfc.com/_images/club_logos/leedsunited_logo.gif

http://www.officialfootballcreditcard.co.uk/images/logo_portsmouth.gif

http://www.gbsportsgroup.com/user_images/images/endresults/charlton-badge.jpg

Arguably...

http://www.kelmscottroos.com.au/UKclubs/Sheffield-Wednesday-Logo.png

http://www.jeremyjacobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/bradford-city.jpg

If he was to go, how much do you think we'd get?

If he was to leave for say, £10-12m and we got Taiwo on a Bosman from Marseille in the summer it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world. Would sooner he stayed though.

I am hoping that the fact he only has 2 years left will work in our favour. Clubs won't want to bid daft money and it won't be worth our while to sell him for say, £8m. He might end up running his contract down and that would give us a chance to build a team which would make players like Enrique want to stay.

This is just getting stupid, i doubt Tiote or Jose will be off in the summer, but we have always sold a player if a significantly bigger club comes in for them. If we are genuinely blessed with 3 such players attracting offers in two windows then we are in pretty remarkable times.

Anyone care to list the players who have attracted significant bids in the past that we have managed to hold onto?

We don't know what bids we've had in the past as they're usually kept out of the press.

Who cares about the past? The fact is, this summer is a perfect opportunity to kick on. We've got a few 1st class players in Colo, Ben Arfa, Tiote and Enrique and £35m in the bank, there should be no need to sell our best players if we show them we have ambition.

Just a thought here, but could our willingness to let our best players go have been a factor in our inability to win a trophy since 1969?  :rolleyes:

Obviously, this is all baseless speculation and Ashley may indeed show ambition in the summer. Not holding my breath.

And also partly base their beliefs on statements released by the Ashley regime after it first took over. They seemed credible enough people at the time, but in light of subsequent events, these claims should also be revisited...  Not saying they weren't bad, they clearly were, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that point was spun to breaking point.

Sorry but that is a very glib dismissal of the poor financial legacy of our previous owners. I've spouted long and hard on this subject elsewhere on this board. Not going to do so again - especially on a Jose Enrique thread  :lol:

? It's true. Our structured debts suddenly got toploaded due to a security clause, when that happens by surprise it's liable to make any situation worse than it was before. You don't need to preach to me about problems the old regime did have, though, I'm converted.

I really didn't want to go into this but:

Structured debt is fine whilst you are generating positive cash flows and can meet the loan repayments that are in the structure, and the interest payments due on the loans. During 2007 the club was not generating positive cash flows so fresh funding was needed. There was nothing left to borrow against as all the clubs assets and future revenue streams had already been used as collateral (in the case of the training ground it had been used twice). The interest rates on the loans were extortionate reflecting the risk perceived by the lenders.

The club's balance sheet showed an insolvent position which in itself would have given rise to the issue of whether accounts could be prepared with the club being a going concern. In order for the accounts to be prepared on a going concern basis the auditors would require proof that the club could continue trading for the foreseeable future, and this is in a scenario where cash flows are negative, fresh finance is needed and there are no assets to borrow against. In the end Ashley gave an undertaking to keep it going and provide whatever finance was needed - and so the 2007 accounts were prepared on a going concern basis. If he hadn't been around to do that can we assume that the previous majority shareholders would have given that undertaking? And btw once a set of accounts are given a going concern qualification (let alone are not prepared on a going concern basis) structured creditors have a right to foreclose.  

Not certain administration but it was certainly worthy of concern.

Not certain administration but it was certainly worthy of concern.

That's exactly what I said, and 80 agreed with.

"but talk of the club not existing is laughable."

As I said earlier a very glib dismissal of the club's situation at the time. Some offering on how the club might have survived would strengthen your case.

P*rds interview online with BEEB

Reporter:  "When players are in form like that, other people get interested.  Are you prepared for that in the Summer"?

P*rds: "yes of  course, we are prepared for everything.  Its always difficult, you want  to keep your best players".

Adios Jose.

He is not talking about Jose

Er, yes his.  Prepared for everything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9397572.stm