José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Sorry guys, I'm no sky band wagon jumper but Enrique was poor in most departments apart from potential in the first year.   Most worryingly as I remeber was his lack of strength.  To say otherwise is delusional. 

He's always been strong as an ox. His passing was much more suspect but along with Bassong he was our best player in the relegation season.

He was brushed off the ball very easily for a number of games, there was a reason why he got his  reputation. 

Sorry guys, I'm no sky band wagon jumper but Enrique was poor in most departments apart from potential in the first year.   Most worryingly as I remeber was his lack of strength.  To say otherwise is delusional. 

Nah, it's not delusional, it's a matter of opinion.

FWIW I never criticised Enrique, he wasn't as good as he is now but he never deserved much stick.

It was never his fault granted, just people on here removing it from history when there was a point where it looked like he was going to flop big time.  That's where the stick came from, only its carried on into the two seasons since then when he has become our best player IMO.

Why not just go through the earlier pages of this thread.. if you think that's the case?

I don't know, criticising a lad who was chopped and changed in the team, didn't get a league start til October and in his first season in England. He was hardly going to play like Ashley Cole straight away was he?! :lol:

Cole and Evra are more complete LBs because they contribute in attack, but defensively, Jose is on a par with any left back in the world. I know that sounds like an exaggeration but there hasn't been a right winger who's had the better of him since he signed for us, and that includes the likes of Lennon, Valencia and other pacy/strong players who he's come up against.

Have you forgotten how pathetic he was in his first season?  Also, you're saying he does not contribute to the attack? Strange post.

He was poor for the sum total of about six games after he first arrived.

his distribution was poor, his defending has always been very good.

Lads, someone posted that he has always been immense and I said there was a time he wasn't.  That's all.   I'm not blaming him for it or anyone or anything. 

If I could be arsed to pick out his many howlers from the early pages on here I would and I would find them, you all know they are there. 

Its actually a positive for Sam to be honest as he obviously saw the potential in the lad.   

Guest Stephen927

Starting to take him for granted a bit now, to be honest. A consistently good performer which is a breath of fresh air when you compare him to some of the left backs we've fielded in recent times.

Lads, someone posted that he has always been immense and I said there was a time he wasn't.  That's all.   I'm not blaming him for it or anyone or anything. 

If I could be arsed to pick out his many howlers from the early pages on here I would and I would find them, you all know they are there. 

Its actually a positive for Sam to be honest as he obviously saw the potential in the lad.   

go ahead, even his mistakes came in games when he defended very well. i honestly cant remember a game when i've thought he got a run around off the opposition.

go ahead, even his mistakes came in games when he defended very well. i honestly cant remember a game when i've thought he got a run around off the opposition.

The thread jumps from August 07 to March 2010.  Anyway, never mind, I vividly remember him trying his 180 spins and getting brushed off the ball far too much. Bad passes and aimless long balls. 

Guest firetotheworks

He definitely had bad passes, because I remember thinking that that was the only thing he really needed to sort out.

When it comes down to it though, the debate is pointless. Here and now we all can see how good he is.

The other José Enrique thread was named Joke Enrique for a long time, as there were quite a few people on here who thought his passing was dreadful. And statistics proved them right. But he was also among the players who attempted most passes, meaning he actually made himself available (you can't pass if you never receive the ball) -- or that the others didn't. And of course his passing would be shit if there was no one to pass to.

Starting to take him for granted a bit now, to be honest. A consistently good performer which is a breath of fresh air when you compare him to some of the left backs we've fielded in recent times.

Aye, I'm never worried when the opposition's got the ball on their right hand side.

Not sure if that's what you meant though :lol:

I've been a fan of his ever since he joined. However I thought he was pretty against Manure but excellent against Villa, the link up play with Jonas is a huge part of our game, lets hiope both of them stay healthy.

I've been a fan of his ever since he joined. However I thought he was pretty against Manure but excellent against Villa, the link up play with Jonas is a huge part of our game, lets hiope both of them stay healthy.

Shouldn't really let his looks interfere with performance

The notion that Enrique being poor was a myth propogated by some journalist anxious to wave his prce tag in our faces: NUFC defender ergo flop.  Louise Taylor and some clown at ESPN soccernet (Norman Hubbard?) wrote him off as a bust the minute he was signed.  This lie held for a long time among fans who didn't see him very often-- maybe the reason (or one of the reasons) he's still with us.

Of course, Louise came around and is telling anyone who will listen that he's not as bad as they might remember.  But that's about as convincing as reading Ronaldo praise the improvement in Carroll's game.

The notion that Enrique being poor was a myth propogated by some journalist anxious to wave his prce tag in our faces: NUFC defender ergo flop.  Louise Taylor and some clown at ESPN soccernet (Norman Hubbard?) wrote him off as a bust the minute he was signed.  This lie held for a long time among fans who didn't see him very often-- maybe the reason (or one of the reasons) he's still with us.

Of course, Louise came around and is telling anyone who will listen that he's not as bad as they might remember.  But that's about as convincing as reading Ronaldo praise the improvement in Carroll's game.

I agree - I certainly dont think he was poor in his 1st year, he was more than decent actually - pretty class compared the left backs we had previously BUT his game has improved even further and his bloody brilliant now

It was a joke when Fat Sam would not play the lad even though he was our best left back by a country mile