Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

1994: Taylor says Stuart Pearce's alleged racist abuse of Paul Ince was "in the heat of the moment … Stuart regrets what he said, and he'll be ringing Paul to apologise. Hopefully that will be the end of it."

Just the guy England need in charge at the moment. Racist caretaker, racist captain, chasing a crook for manager. I think the FA's vendetta against Fifa over racism and corruption may be quietly dropped.

Guest dogbeak

From TalkChelsea forum:

"This is an article about John Terry written by a former youth Chelsea player who currently plays in Iceland, Sam Tillen. I translated the whole thing from Icelandic so don't expect it to be perfectly written. Never the less it's a very good read and shows a side of John Terry most media and non Chelsea fans choose to ignore.

<snip>

john terry: nice to white guys

From TalkChelsea forum:

"This is an article about John Terry written by a former youth Chelsea player who currently plays in Iceland, Sam Tillen. I translated the whole thing from Icelandic so don't expect it to be perfectly written. Never the less it's a very good read and shows a side of John Terry most media and non Chelsea fans choose to ignore.

<snip>

john terry: nice to white guys

So basically he is nice to people he likes

@OfficialMR2 Micah Richards

I don't know how people can comment on racism if they haven't been racially abused!

38 seconds ago

wat

Thats a chip on the shoulder thing to say, or a benefit of the doubt immature comment.

What does "chip on the shoulder" even mean in this context?

• 3 months later...

what's (a) the worst that can happen to terry in the court case and (b) the most likely?

"charged with using racist language" according to wiki, what's that carry if found guilty?  not really followed this at all being so far out of things

He probably doesn't hate other races (no doubt he is very good friends with a lot of his non-white team mates) but I believe he has been racist.

agree with this this, in the heat of the moment people are capable of doing and saying anything

doesn't make it right though

I'd take a guess and say that Terry isn't a racist who would attend BNP rallies or vote for them, and if he wasn't a footballer go looking for other races to beat them up etc, but this been said it does not excuse his 'alleged' behaviour. At times he comes across as a right knob, you would think the CPS have enough evidence to go to trial but the same could be said for the Harry Redknapp trial and that turned out a farce.

I'd take a guess and say that Terry isn't a racist who would attend BNP rallies or vote for them, and if he wasn't a footballer go looking for other races to beat them up etc, but this been said it does not excuse his 'alleged' behaviour.

i grew up with a lot of casual racism from family and friends, just sheer ignorance from people who don't know better but certainly people who'd never actively wish to harm anyone regardless of their colour or creed

the point being that the amount of racist language i was steeped in is still in there somewhere, in the event i lost my shit in an argument under severe pressure there's clearly a chance i might resort to some of it as a 'default' setting

can imagine something like that happening with terry tbh, just wanted to insult the guy but used the wrong word (understatement :lol:)

Given my background (part Asian) I've encountered a lot of negative comments over the years, even one who was a friend of mine (he would call himself a racist) but his words were I like you mate even though you are part "paki" I didn't know what to say, but I would take a guess that I am the only mixed race person he knows :)

At the football club I play for I'm often called "shoebomber" "terrorist" etc, I am quite aware that these boys are not racist they just think they are being funny. The ginger player at the club is ginger and he gets mocked for it, so I class it along with that type of banter.

What Terry is alleged to have said seems like its gone beyond a bit of banter but I do think its a bit far to declare him a racist like many have.

I'd take a guess and say that Terry isn't a racist who would attend BNP rallies or vote for them, and if he wasn't a footballer go looking for other races to beat them up etc, but this been said it does not excuse his 'alleged' behaviour.

i grew up with a lot of casual racism from family and friends, just sheer ignorance from people who don't know better but certainly people who'd never actively wish to harm anyone regardless of their colour or creed

the point being that the amount of racist language i was steeped in is still in there somewhere, in the event i lost my s*** in an argument under severe pressure there's clearly a chance i might resort to some of it as a 'default' setting

can imagine something like that happening with terry tbh, just wanted to insult the guy but used the wrong word (understatement :lol:)

This is bang on the money. There`s all sorts of s*** in your nappa that, given the right (or wrong) situation could come out & have you tarnished as a right Nazi. 

That said, Terry is a grade "A" cock with form for acting the arsehole. 

the point being that the amount of racist language i was steeped in is still in there somewhere, in the event i lost my s*** in an argument under severe pressure there's clearly a chance i might resort to some of it as a 'default' setting

This is bang on the money. There`s all sorts of s*** in your nappa that, given the right (or wrong) situation could come out & have you tarnished as a right Nazi. 

That said, Terry is a grade "A" cock with form for acting the arsehole. 

people say all sorts of hurtful stuff when angry, doesn't mean it's been in their heads all along since childhood etc. we look for perceived weak spots, things that push people out from the norm, could be weight, physical imperfections and in some cases race

I'm not defending Terry on what he has apparently said. Of course using racist language is illegal and should be stamped out. Mrs Tisd hates it when she hear's the "banter" at the football club and blames me to some extent for not speaking out. As I said I see it as banter, but my 'acceptance' of it may lead to these guys saying it in a different situation which could get them in to a lot of trouble.

people say all sorts of hurtful stuff when angry, doesn't mean it's been in their heads all along since childhood etc. we look for perceived weak spots, things that push people out from the norm, could be weight, physical imperfections and in some cases race

what i was getting at was had ferdinand been fat and ginger then the likelihood is terry would used that, default responses....it's a natural thing for many people to look at physical appearance and base judgements on it, it's also natural that your mind would link skin colour to a person you're arguing with as it's what differentiates them...had ferdinand been gay and terry knew it he might well have called him on that instead of his skin colour, almost certainly in fact

as you say weak points/easy hurtful target + social background imo

Not really bothered whether he's racist, it's impossible to prove and not for football authorities to judge anyway. But if he said something racist or abusive then that should lead to punishment... the wider issue of whether he's racist is irrelevant.

Like you say, everyone is instinctively a bit "racist" in the sense of being comfortable around people the same as them and sometimes wary of those who are different. We can usually use our reasoning minds to realise how stupid we're being before we actually say/do anything.

I can't accept that at all and to do so completely ignores the history of repression associated with colour.  There is no history of institutionalised repression against fat or ginger people, they have never been refused access to education, amenities or services because of their characteristics, or murdered or beaten or marginalised.

If what you say has any credibility would Ferdinand have called Terry white as it his characteristic? 

Using racist language is totally different to calling someone fat or Ginger in my opinion, a whole different league in fact.

I can't accept that at all and to do so completely ignores the history of repression associated with colour.  There is no history of institutionalised repression against fat or ginger people, they have never been refused access to education, amenities or services because of their characteristics, or murdered or beaten or marginalised.

If what you say has any credibility would Ferdinand have called Terry white as it his characteristic? 

Using racist language is totally different to calling someone fat or Ginger in my opinion, a whole different league in fact.

i don't recall saying they were morally equivalent

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18578637

John Terry racism trial legal team mull 'bad character' bid

The allegations centre around a game at Loftus Road in October Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

Terry race trial after Euro final

John Terry's legal team might make a bad character application against Anton Ferdinand during his racism trial, a court has heard.

The ex-England captain, 31, will stand trial at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 9 July accused of a racially-aggravated public order offence.

Mr Terry's barrister, George Carter-Stephenson QC, has now said he is considering making the application.

Bad character applications are used to cast doubt on a witness's evidence.

The trial relates to a comment allegedly made and caught on camera to the Queens Park Rangers defender when the two teams played last October.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, "bad character" in criminal proceedings means "evidence of or a disposition towards misconduct".

Mr Carter-Stephenson said: "There is likely to be an application for bad character against Mr Ferdinand about two incidents."

No details were given about what these incidents were.

Things must be bad when John Terry thinks he can besmirch your character