Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Does the rest of the world think this is equally as despicable?

I don't understand why la liga isn't taking the necessary steps. It's surely an awful look, even if they don't actually care. It's a stain on their league, and they've contributed to it becoming worse.

Is it the Spanish league or is it Spanish  Society ? 

If only neesy was here to  El prontonise on the issue.

Edited by madras

Writing on Twitter, La Liga president Javier Tebas said Vinicius twice did not turn up for a meeting to discuss what it "can do in cases of racism".

"Before you criticise and slander La Liga you need to inform yourself properly," Tebas said.

15 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Think racism is still a big problem most places tbh.

It is but worse in some than others..... or probably hidden better in some.

Edited by madras

30 minutes ago, huss9 said:

Writing on Twitter, La Liga president Javier Tebas said Vinicius twice did not turn up for a meeting to discuss what it "can do in cases of racism".

"Before you criticise and slander La Liga you need to inform yourself properly," Tebas said.

Christ :anguish:

9 minutes ago, madras said:

It is but worse in some than others..... or probably hidden better.l in some.

Yes probably wouldn't be much better here in Northern/Western Europe if it wasn't so socially unacceptable. Assholes do be everywhere.

Edited by Displayname

On 22/05/2023 at 10:34, Displayname said:

Yes probably wouldn't be much better here in Northern/Western Europe if it wasn't so socially unacceptable. Assholes do be everywhere.

That socially unacceptable bit is a big thing though.

Edited by madras

In explaining the partial stadium closure, the Spanish Football Federation had said: "It is considered proven that, as reflected by the referee in his minutes, there were racist shouts at Vinicius, altering the normal course of the match and considering the infractions very serious."

wtf is all this shit?

are they purpsefully trying to make themselves look worse?

Spanish League: we are struggling financially cos we it's not fair we can't sell international broadcast rights for anything close to premier league level

Also Spanish League: Lol racism's no biggie

I remember when Clyde Best, West Ham was for a time, the only black lad in the 1st Division.  He was given dogs abuse; things thrown at him and even posters displayed that nowadays would get you a lifetime ban. Sadly, his own fans would shout horrendous things at him. 

But nobody said a word. Nothing was condemned; no one brought to book. I’d like to think we have listened to “Our better Angels” but sometimes I wonder. 

2 hours ago, Haz said:

I remember when Clyde Best, West Ham was for a time, the only black lad in the 1st Division.  He was given dogs abuse; things thrown at him and even posters displayed that nowadays would get you a lifetime ban. Sadly, his own fans would shout horrendous things at him. 

But nobody said a word. Nothing was condemned; no one brought to book. I’d like to think we have listened to “Our better Angels” but sometimes I wonder. 

Some parts will be a reduction in racist attitudes in the general population, some parts will be ‘frown power’ and the removal of any sense of social respectability of holding / saying those views.

Which is of course the primary whinge of the ‘you can’t say anything these days’ brigade.  Every time I’ve pressed someone saying that to tell me what can’t be said, there never seems to be a firm answer.  Odd that.  

Edited by TheBrownBottle

• 2 weeks later...

"Brazil and Real Madrid star Vinicius Jr. has been tasked with leading a special player-run Fifa anti-racism committee. The committee will look to advocate for more stringent punishments for any displays of racism within football, a long overdue need."

maybe its because i'm not white, but i just find this a bit puzzling.

shouldnt be up to the black players to sit on or head such a committee.

both the problem and the solution lie within the white community. they are the ones who should be leading this.

dont be putting the onus on the black players and then blaming them if people dont agree with the punishments meted out.

just reeks of fifa saying, "look we're trying our best but we'll leave it up to them"

Edited by huss9

32 minutes ago, huss9 said:

"Brazil and Real Madrid star Vinicius Jr. has been tasked with leading a special player-run Fifa anti-racism committee. The committee will look to advocate for more stringent punishments for any displays of racism within football, a long overdue need."

maybe its because i'm not white, but i just find this a bit puzzling.

shouldnt be up to the black players to sit on or head such a committee.

both the problem and the solution lie within the white community. they are the ones who should be leading this.

dont be putting the onus on the black players and then blaming them if people dont agree with the punishments meted out.

just reeks of fifa saying, "look we're trying our best but we'll leave it up to them"

I completely agree that racism towards black players or people generally is not a ‘black people problem’, but it is a problem if white people are the ones who determine what is and is not racism.  Just take a look at the reaction in Spain re what happened to Vini Jr and you have to ask what the reaction of those journalists would be if they weren’t white