Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

Guest BooBoo

He's admitted he said the words he's being prosecuted for as I understand it now just said he was being sarcastic, which doesn't make any sense. Maybe context is everything but can't think of a good one... Should know better, and bang to rights as far as I can see.

No.

If he's said the words in a sarcastic manner and the bench accept that, then it will be very difficult for the prosecution to prove that someone could be caused "alarm, distress or harassment" if it was said in a non aggressive, sarcastic or questioning fashion. Even Ferdinand has admitted he thought what Terry was saying was "banter" although he didn't hear the offending comment at the time.

From what the press are reporting so far, I'd say it sounds 70/30 in favour of an acquittal at the moment.

From what I've read, a half time submission of "no case to answer" seems apt. Seems a flakey case to me.

No doubt the bench will fudge it, call Terry's defence and them acquit after trial.

The difficulty is that he seems to have admitted using the language. Whilst the Crown's case may well be flakey the fact that he has admitted using the words almost certainly means there is a case for Terry to answer, which he probably will in giving evidence.

He'll get done by the FA though for what he's said mind.

this is what should have happened- taking it to criminal court is ridiculous imo.

nowt the fa could do once it was brought to the courts mind

"I never called you a f***ing black c***. f***ing knob head"

Someone's comment on that youtube video. This is all I can see tbh, not guilty.

The crux for me is what is he responding to?

If it's Anton saying 'Did you call just call me a...?' or 'You called me a...' fair enough.

In what other context is he 'okay' saying those words?

Guest firetotheworks

That video makes him look innocent tbh.

Actually looks like 'I never called you a fucking black cunt. Fucking nobhead.'

He'll get done by the FA though for what he's said mind.

this is what should have happened- taking it to criminal court is ridiculous imo.

Not sure I agree on that.

If I went into the street and racially abused someone, and a copper saw it, I'd expect to find myself in legal bother, too. The fact the FA dealt with it doesn't really come into it in terms of the application of the law.

Guest Phil K

If I went into the street and racially abused someone, and a copper saw it, I'd expect to find myself in legal bother, too. The fact the FA dealt with it doesn't really come into it in terms of the application of the law.

Put it into perspective with what ISN'T taken to court.

This is nothing more than bloody name calling, and pandering to a pack of self-serving politically correct types. Even Ferdinand wasn't too happy about it being blow up in the manner it has been.

There are people who have been TERRORIZED in their homes and the ones doing it haven't been taken to court. This is a mockery. A turd like Terry is even being held up as being victimized himself - where does it end ? "He THOUGHT in a racist way" ? He "looked at me in a racist manner" ? This kind of thing makes the worst kind of creep into a victim.

Ashley Cole sounds like he's been a right tit. Said he didn't want to stand in the witness box, and now:

Chief magistrate to Ashley Cole: 'Thanks for giving evidence. I gather you didn't want to'

:laugh:

Also:

Crown to Ashley Cole: 'You used to play for Arsenal, the crowd doesn't make any noise at the Emirates do they?' [LAUGHTER in court]

Ashley Cole asked by defence if he could remember more abt Terry-Ferdinand conversation. 'No, I was looking forward to going on a night out'

:lol:

This is nothing more than bloody name calling, and pandering to a pack of self-serving politically correct types. Even Ferdinand wasn't too happy about it being blow up in the manner it has been.

There are people who have been TERRORIZED in their homes and the ones doing it haven't been taken to court. This is a mockery. A turd like Terry is even being held up as being victimized himself - where does it end ? "He THOUGHT in a racist way" ? He "looked at me in a racist manner" ? This kind of thing makes the worst kind of creep into a victim.

This guy was the England captain, and a high profile player within an industry where a lot of similar problems have occurred. By spending time and money prosecuting Terry, if he is convicted, this would show people that racism in football isn't going to be tolerated. I think the captain of one of the largest teams in the country, and formerly the national team of all people should be expected to set an example and at the very least, not commit criminal offences on the pitch. If he doesn't, he should be made an example of in order to deter other footballers who think they are above the law and decency.

Welcome to the Folly of Public Order Offences. I'm not saying the FA shouldn't be hard on him btw, if they have a policy on tackling racism on football then it would make sense for them to make an example out of him.

Also:

Crown to Ashley Cole: 'You used to play for Arsenal, the crowd doesn't make any noise at the Emirates do they?' [LAUGHTER in court]

Ashley Cole asked by defence if he could remember more abt Terry-Ferdinand conversation. 'No, I was looking forward to going on a night out'

:lol:

:lol: Cole just sounds like the typical lad.