Newcastle United 0-0 Aston Villa - 18/08/07 - Post Match reaction from Page 12

James

I thought we were poor today, but that was as much down to a very efficient Villa side as it was our own lack of ability. It's true that we need more creativity, but it's also true that creativity is obviously going to be stifled when (a) you're up against an excellent defence, and (b) you have a lot of new players who need time to gel together and accommodate themselves into a new system.

There's possitives to be taken from the match - we defended very well and kept a cleansheet, and we looked more solid as a unit than we have done in years. And the negatives are not so drastic that they can't be sorted with a bit of time, a few tweaks here and there, and a new player or two.

This isn't as bad a result, or even performance, as some are knee-jerking it to be.

Does our crowd ever get behind us before we actually manage to score?

Did Ashley put some mute pills in those free drinks?

F*cking cheek.

Booing - totally fuckng pathetic.  Knobs

I didn't hear any booing.

Actually it's kind of refreshing to see a true kneejerk reaction for a change! A lot of the "panic" we have seen the last two season had some very VERY solid foundations. :D

Lads can we calm down, stop insulting each other and stick to discussion of the match please?

I think we all need to have an early night and sleep on it and discuss it in the morning.

there is so much over-reaction on here its frightening. So many posts are the equivalent of booing at the match in their negativity.

Not having been at the match its good to hear who didnt perform on the day (thats just on the day lads) and who did but the suggestion that everything is crumbling and the club is going nowhere under Sam is utter ridiculous. Who the f

phrase "false dawn" can be used on the 18th of August.....  :idiot2:

Its been a good day. makems got battered, Durham put in a great performance in the cup final and the toon have a point and a clean sheet.

Geremi and Smith were both sub standard today.  Geremi looked like he had lead in his boots and Smith ran round like a headless chicken, neither did anything with the ball.

Butt didn't distribute the ball well or cover the midfield, it was a return to old gloomy times for him today.

We didn't create a chance.

Alan Smith's scuffed shot after a beautiful cut back from Milner and Rozehnal's brilliant Volley are two just off the top of my head.

I am now certain you haven't even seen the match. You have now been on here for a couple of hours attempting to wind people up regarding a match you didn't even see.

Busy life you say? More likely a bit of a vagabond.

Lads can we calm down, stop insulting each other and stick to discussion of the match please?

I think we all need to have an early night and sleep on it and discuss it in the morning.

there is so much over-reaction on here its frightening. So many posts are the equivalent of booing at the match in their negativity.

Not having been at the match its good to hear who didnt perform on the day (thats just on the day lads) and who did but the suggestion that everything is crumbling and the club is going nowhere under Sam is utter ridiculous. Who the f

phrase "false dawn" can be used on the 18th of August.....  :idiot2:

Its been a good day. makems got battered, Durham put in a great performance in the cup final and the toon have a point and a clean sheet.

Exactly

Some others on here can come back and post sense when their balls drop

Guest Shibby

There was no movement around the ball and we're not quick enough move forward when we have possesion. Also we've still got the habit of pumping the ball up field at times.

A few thoughts on the match:

1) We can`t play Smith, Butt and Geremi at the same time in a midfield trio. We need a midfielder with pace, hight and offensive qualities. I think Butt did a decent job though, and he looks good for the anchor-role, event though he isn`t that fast.

2) Aston Villa played extremely defensive. Mellberg and Laursen for me played like 9/10 and won every duel. Villa also played with 3 defensive midfielders; Reo-Cocker, Petrov and Barry(at least they ran back to defend every time), and at times Agbonlahor and Young also defended(!). That left only Carew/Moore up front, and with a midfield like we played today, we were never going to break that Villa-wall.

3) The strikers didn`t co-operate at all today. Martins looked rather bad today (6/10) and Viduka even worse. Martins still was our best striker today and created the little that was up front, and should never have been replaced. Milner was our best today, imo, and created at least something.

4) We had 1 chance the whole match, Rozehnals shot, which was always going to be saved by Carson. Good effort though, but that was the only chance. Poor, and must not happen again. I think we have to play 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 at home, with Milner on the midfield:

Ex: Solano - Geremi - Butt - Milner or Mliner - Geremi - Butt - N`Zogbia or when all are fit: Milner - Barton - Emre - N`Zogbia/Duff with Butt as the anchor if needed.

I think we really need Barton and Emre in our game to get the best out of it. The midfield trio of Smith-Butt-Geremi works better away, apparently. Just a fact!

Ratings:

Harper 7

Carr 5

Taylor 6

Rozehnal 6,5

N`Zogbia 6

Butt 7

Smith 6

Geremi 6,5

Milner 7,5

Viduka 5

Martins 6

Owen 5

Ameobi 6

Cacapa 1000

1) We can`t play Smith, Butt and Geremi at the same time in a midfield trio. We need a midfielder with pace, hight and offensive qualities. I think Butt did a decent job though, and he looks good for the anchor-role, event though he isn`t that fast.

2) Aston Villa played extremely defensive. Mellberg and Laursen for me played like 9/10 and won every duel. Villa also played with 3 defensive midfielders; Reo-Cocker, Petrov and Barry(at least they ran back to defend every time), and at times Agbonlahor and Young also defended(!). That left only Carew/Moore up front, and with a midfield like we played today, we were never going to break that Villa-wall.

3) The strikers didn`t co-operate at all today. Martins looked rather bad today (6/10) and Viduka even worse. Martins still was our best striker today and created the little that was up front, and should never have been replaced. Milner was our best today, imo, and created at least something.

4) We had 1 chance the whole match, Rozehnals shot, which was always going to be saved by Carson. Good effort though, but that was the only chance. Poor, and must not happen again. I think we have to play 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 at home, with Milner on the midfield:

Ex: Solano - Geremi - Butt - Milner or Mliner - Geremi - Butt - N`Zogbia or when all are fit: Milner - Barton - Emre - N`Zogbia/Duff with Butt as the anchor if needed.

I think we really need Barton and Emre in our game to get the best out of it. The midfield trio of Smith-Butt-Geremi works better away, apparently. Just a fact!

No it's not, it's an opinion

No it's not, it's an opinion

Allright then, if you say so. But seriously, do you honestly think that the midfield played well today?

Second half consisted of Butt and Smith launching into people, and Milner trying to take on three players without anyone going up to help him.

Viduka was s - l - o - w. 

Ameobi looked like he desperately wanted to create something, while Owen treated it like a warm up for the England game.

Rozenhal looks very composed. Taylor had a few shaky moments that we would have slated Bramble for.

Ratings:

Harper 7

Carr 5

Taylor 6

Rozehnal 6,5

N`Zogbia 6

Butt 7

Smith 6

Geremi 6,5

Milner 7,5

Viduka 5

Martins 6

Owen 5

Ameobi 6

Cacapa 1000

Surprised at Butt getting 7, thought he gave the complete Scott Parker performance today, spent the whole afternoon winning back balls he had given away in the first place. 

The blatent favouritism of some people is just incredible.  We've decided we like Geremi, Rozehnal & Martins and we don't like Owen & Carr and we'll be damned if we let their actual performances get in the way of that judgement.

For me, the weak link today was the midfield three.  Geremi, Butt and Smith were tasked with maintaining posession and distributing it to the wide players (Oba & Milner).  They didn't do it.  Their passing was not up to standard, and we failed to provide the strikers with any opportunities.  To single out Owen (especially when he was only on for 30 min) doesn't make any sense.

Milner or Rozenhal for MOTM. Milner was our only attacking player who looked like creating anything today and Rozenhal was very solid at the back.

Also Amoebi looked miles better than Viduka today. Viduka did nothing today for us and when Amoebi came on their was a noticeable improvement.

No more Zog at LB. Bring in Cacapa, move Taylor to RB and Carr to LB if Jose Enrique is still not ready.

Get Butt out of the team ASAP for someone who can pass a ball and attack. Hopefully Emre will be back by next week.

Some of the reactions on here are unbelievable...  Already in the 1 week we've had this season,  the champions (Man Utd for those who're a bit slow) have drawn 0-0 at home to Reading.  Spurs,  who a lot of people are tipping to finish top 4 this season have lost 3-1 at home to Everton...  I really don't see a 0-0 at home to Villa being the end of the world.  Its football,  it happens.  If it was happening every week,  fair enough.  But its only 1 home game gone.  We haven't conceeded - great,  now lets build on it,  because we WILL score a lot of goals this season.

Allardyce has said its going to take us a lot,  lot longer then this to get to where he wants us at.  We've kept a clean sheet,  which for us,  is massive.  We have the strikers,  we have the midfielders,  and dare I say it,  we have someone who will get them all working together.

Its gonna take time,  but for fuck sake.  Reactions like "mid table mediocrity" are ridiculous.  Smith,  Geremi and Butt can't play together in midfield,  no?  What the fuck was I watching at Bolton last week,  then?

Jesus christ. 

anyone else think owen actually did OK today, at least considering the circumstances?

Nah, thought he was shocking.  Disinterested, still he has a game for "his club" this week.

he didnt get any service, as viduka didn't.

anyone else think owen actually did OK today, at least considering the circumstances?

Nah, thought he was shocking.  Disinterested, still he has a game for "his club" this week.

Owen got one touch in 25 minutes as far as I recall. Maybe two.

Viduka wasn't much better like.

For all his inability to control a ball or pass it, Martins always looks a far more willing participant.