Beye 'eck, Habib is good

Dave

chelsea kicking themselves for going in for belleti instead

Belletti is miles better going forward though, which when you have world class centrebacks and defensive midfielders is probably alot more useful over the course of the season.

My only concerns are if Roz and Cash are to be the main pair all the time we will be exposed in the air too often. I believe we need a bruiser in there in the shape of Taylor or Faye.

FB's looking gooood, Beye and Enrique.

Christ I can hardly believe this, last season we never had a defence and now we can worry about who we leave out.

I think it showed that we are going to have a good side moving forward once Enrique is starting. N'Zogbia is terrific at LB, but we were dominant with him at LM. Get Barton in the midfield, and I think we will be a lot better.

And it was definately nice to see a solid back four for once. Beye was impressive. I'm happy.

Impressed with him today. No nonsense in defence, much like Cacapa he doesn't take chances and puts the ball in row Z if need be. He and Cacapa add experience and common sense to the defence, they both have a safety-first mentality which we've lacked at the back. Showed one or two moments of quality going forward too, created a decent chance when he megged one, skinned another and cut a teasing cross back into the box.

Enrique looked good when he came on as well. Promising signs from our new full backs.

Guest Guinness

Beye was very impressive today. We looked a lot more balanced in defence with a natural right back, he looked solid defensively and good getting up in support of the right midfielder. He's also a lot quicker than I expected.

My only concern as others have pointed out is that if Roz and Cacapa are to be our first choice centre back pairing then we could get exposed by tall/powerful strikers. While I understand the importance of building a defensive partnership I hope that Sam brings in the likes of Faye and Taylor against more physical sides.

Pretty pleased with his performance today. Gave West Ham's Left a difficult day, sticking to their players and forcing negative passes from them. I can't see him being bamboozled and left swiping at shirt tails as regularly as Carr is/was. He made a decent fist of moonlighting as our right winger in Smith's absence, too. That said, there were a couple of times when I thought he was injured, the amount of time it took him to get back in position following a driving run forwards. Looked really lazy, strolling along watching play taking place within yards and neither attempting to assist nor meaningfully seek to get back to where he should be. Still, early days, so I'll let him off seeing as he was such an improvement overall.

Even earlier days for Enrique, of course, but seeing as he's had some praise, I'll just say I wasn't wildly impressed by him. All things considered, he's plenty of excuses, given its his first match of the season, starting at a new club in a different country, of course. Main thing I recall is that I believe he was most responsible for that scare from Camara at the corner. Given the actions of our other players, it seems he was meant to be marking him and instead stood still, ball-watching, whilst Camara made his run.

He's a fullback. Wtf is this shit about end product? Is this some kind of  Sky "buzz phrase" or something?

:dontknow:

You didn't see him get into numerous good positions then cross the ball out of play?

The first and most important job of a fullback is to be able to defend.

"End Product" for a fullback (the phrase makes me fucking gag) is to stop the opposition creating opportunities to score against us a direct result of him being shite at defending. Course, that's difficult to measure, so the type who rely on stats to judge a footballer will be keen to assess him on how many scoring opportunities he creates at the other end......

He looks like a decent defender. That will do for me while the team takes shape and they get used to each other.