Steve McClaren

Dave

One of the way propagandists get away with rewriting history's worst foibles is by normalizing, in turn minimizing the impact of, any given atrocity, and then by acting as if even to debate these points is passé and unbecoming of an educated electorate.

This is Cronky and his persistence of downplaying, and then laughing off, of McClaren's rejection of this job not once but twice, which to most of the people following this club was rightfully shocking behaviour, and needs to be brought up again and again so as not to have it rewritten as unimportant.

TBF, we haven't appointed the bloke yet. Plenty of time for it to go wrong and us end up with a Carver/Kinnear dream ticket.

http://gal.darkervision.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bush_to_cheney.jpg

We made it look like we were desperate for McClaren - it was him and no-one else.  I would have thought that would have given him some advantage in the negotiations so I would hope that would mean he could bring in his own staff.

One of the way propagandists get away with rewriting history's worst foibles is by normalizing, in turn minimizing the impact of, any given atrocity, and then by acting as if even to debate these points is passé and unbecoming of an educated electorate.

This is Cronky and his persistence of downplaying, and then laughing off, of McClaren's rejection of this job not once but twice, which to most of the people following this club was rightfully shocking behaviour, and needs to be brought up again and again so as not to have it rewritten as unimportant.

But it was unimportant, I tell you!

How do we know he didn't 'reject' the role knowing he'd get a pay off and Ashley having to pay nowt. The game is rigged from the off.

Bobby Robson rejected the job twice. After Keegan left, and before we came back with an improved offer when he was actually appointed.

I've probably got this wrong, but hasn't wor Dutchie turned us down 3 times? Once after Pardew left, another with 3 games to go and the last time just before being dismissed by Derby?

Regardless of how many times, it's indicative of our desperation that a manager can turn us down more than once in such a short timeframe and still be essentially the only consideration for the job. Like others have said though, he's our best appointment for a few years and I'm happy to back him for now, am getting sick and tired of constantly feeling negative towards the club we all love - plus he seems like a nice bloke who'll walk away if he can't hack it. Some of his teams have played decent, expansive stuff over the years and I'm hoping he adopts a similar approach here. I would feel a lot more comfortable if Carver, Stone and co were ditched though.

I've probably got this wrong, but hasn't wor Dutchie turned us down 3 times? Once after Pardew left, another with 3 games to go and the last time just before being dismissed by Derby?

Regardless of how many times, it's indicative of our desperation that a manager can turn us down more than once in such a short timeframe and still be essentially the only consideration for the job. Like others have said though, he's our best appointment for a few years and I'm happy to back him for now, am getting sick and tired of constantly feeling negative towards the club we all love - plus he seems like a nice bloke who'll walk away if he can't hack it. Some of his teams have played decent, expansive stuff over the years and I'm hoping he adopts a similar approach here. I would feel a lot more comfortable if Carver, Stone and co were ditched though.

Absolutely spot on.

With regards to turning us down, I presume he did turn us down with 3 games to go as he wouldn't risk leaving Derby for the risk of being relegated with us. Can anybody blame him for that if this is the case? I certainly can't. Would you quit your job to join a company who may go bankrupt in three weeks?

I presume that Derby's pay-out to him will cease if he takes on another role in x amount of time, as is reported to be normal practice.

I'm willing to give him the chance, as I would with any other manager - let him do the talking with his team selection/style of play.

Him turning us down twice so recently reflects far worse on us than it does him. He obviously felt Derby County was a better bet, how pathetic is that?

He thought Boro was a better bet than us 11 years ago...on the back of 3 top 5 finishes.

Maybe he's just an honourable bloke? Both times he's left one job for another (Boro to England & Twente to Wolfsburg), he'd pretty much peaked as far as the clubs were concerned.

How do we know he didn't 'reject' the role knowing he'd get a pay off and Ashley having to pay nowt. The game is rigged from the off.

Bobby Robson rejected the job twice. After Keegan left, and before we came back with an improved offer when he was actually appointed.

:lol:

Him turning us down twice so recently reflects far worse on us than it does him. He obviously felt Derby County was a better bet, how pathetic is that?

He thought Boro was a better bet than us 11 years ago...on the back of 3 top 5 finishes.

When was this? Have I missed something?

Bobby Robson was at Barcelona. Steve McClaren was at Derby County. Just let that sink in.

I find this holiday thing laughable and indicative of everything. He probably asked the club to cover his excess for the holiday and they told him to dance.

We flew Tino in on a Saturday morning and he played against Middleborough the same day ffs.

This cunt, if he had anything about him, should have made a huge deal of cancelling his holiday and getting stuck into the job but nah, can't miss the last couple of days all inclusive.

Cunts.