Steve McClaren

Dave

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

Michael Laudrup wanted to talk, and so did Frank de Boer.

For a couple of days last week, Patrick Vieira was open to the idea of discussing Newcastle United’s head coach vacancy as a way of fast-tracking his own managerial development – before the interest fizzled out with both parties adamant that the other one had been the instigators.

There had been others, too. With Remi Garde it went as far as the interview process while Christophe Galtier and Jocelyn Gourvennec, two of France’s brightest young managerial talents, would have been amenable.

Yet Newcastle took a head count of these candidates – one of two of whom might have had a seriously transformative impact on the club – and went, instead, for Steve McClaren.

Name after name, blow after blow.

Steve McClaren who was on holiday too and clearly making no effort for us.

Guest Brendan_Rice

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

For a couple of days last week, Patrick Vieira was open to the idea of discussing Newcastle United’s head coach vacancy as a way of fast-tracking his own managerial development – before the interest fizzled out with both parties adamant that the other one had been the instigators.

There had been others, too. With Remi Garde it went as far as the interview process while Christophe Galtier and Jocelyn Gourvennec, two of France’s brightest young managerial talents, would have been amenable.

Yet Newcastle took a head count of these candidates – one of two of whom might have had a seriously transformative impact on the club – and went, instead, for Steve McClaren.

Steve McClaren who was on holiday too and clearly making no effort for us.

Unless he knew it was already his

Ultimately it won't really be about McClaren but investment in the squad. That will be the real statement of intentions.

Well we've been conned plenty of times about this in the past with Ashley, but this time he's actually come out on tv and implied we would be spending big money in order to win something. McClaren might have a chance if that happens but if we just carry on penny pinching he's going to get just as many pelters as Pardew.

Aye, summer is the real test imo.

Question for those that have given up going to matches. Will the appointment of Steve McClaren mean you will attend games again?

Not a chance.  :lol:

:lol: As if anyone would be stupid enough to be bought off and get back into bed with Ashley because we have him as manager

Unfortunately there'll be thousands of the morons.

We'll see what happens. New manager and spend the minimum on some new 'exciting' players and wouldn't be surprised.

Guest Bert Shaft

Once we get our first win it will be 'Steve Mcclarens black and white army!'. Never thought I would hear something so uninspiring.

... and when (not if) we have a long losing run, it will be "fuck off back to smoggyland, tufty"

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

Hummm.... Michael Laudrup actually said that he wasn't interested in another mid-table club.

The article is quite carefully worded. The other candidates, were 'interested in talking' or 'amenable'. It doesn't go so far as to say they actually wanted the job.

My own impression is that there were a number of candidates prepared to listen to an offer, but wanting to wait a while to see if something better came along. We could easily have been strung along for weeks, and ended up with no-one.

McClaren seems to have been the one who actually said yes. He's the bird in hand.

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

Hummm.... Michael Laudrup actually said that he wasn't interested in another mid-table club.

The article is quite carefully worded. The other candidates, were 'interested in talking' or 'amenable'. It doesn't go so far as to say they actually wanted the job.

My own impression is that there were a number of candidates prepared to listen to an offer, but wanting to wait a while to see if something better came along. We could easily have been strung along for weeks, and ended up with no-one.

McClaren seems to have been the one who actually said yes. He's the bird in hand.

You would eat Mike Ashley's shit if he asked wouldn't you?

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

You would eat Mike Ashley's s*** if he asked wouldn't you?

Whilst tenderly tickling his balls I would think.

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

It was reported the day after that came out he wasn't talking about us and would be open to discussions.

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

It was reported the day after that came out he wasn't talking about us and would be open to discussions.

Is there a direct quote from Laudrup to that effect? The only direct quote I've seen from him is this one -

"I would not accept an offer from a mid-table club in England or Spain. They are experiences that I have lived and, at this stage of my life as a coach, I'm looking for new things."

But that doesn't include us?

At the third time of asking.

This is a really dull point. The first time, he was half way through a season where his club was chasing promotion. The second time (allegedly), he was asked to take over for the last three games of a team fighting relegation. In the first case, it's the honourable thing to say no. In the second case, you'd be mad to say yes.

But yes, the situation does allow you to construct the sentence 'he turned us down twice', and yes if someone didn't know the situation, that would look bad. Well done.

This is a really dull point. The first time, he was half way through a season where his club was chasing promotion. The second time (allegedly), he was asked to take over for the last three games of a team fighting relegation. In the first case, it's the honourable thing to say no. In the second case, you'd be mad to say yes.

But yes, the situation does allow you to construct the sentence 'he turned us down twice', and yes if someone didn't know the situation, that would look bad. Well done.

:lol:

I'm sure you can construct an argument that he didn't.

You've missed the point; I'm not really talking about McClaren himself. I'm making a point about us and our recruitment process. We approached him three times in half a year - thus making any 'whatif' discussions about other candidates completely pointless (even though, granted, I fell for the Vieira link). We were never going to get anyone else, especially when he became available for nothing. Charnley wanted McClaren and that's who we're getting.

His reluctance to join us initially is a completely separate issue; it doesn't prove anything about him but it does prove that we are a bunch of low-balling, desperate wanks.

You could say his loyalty to Derby is admirable. I certainly wouldn't blame a manager for resisting the advances of another club when he's in the middle of a promotion chase. But then I doubt the correlation between our interest and their drop in form is unrelated.

Anyway, now that it's definitely happening, I just want him to arrive and get the next era of apathetic shite over with.

Ultimately it won't really be about McClaren but investment in the squad. That will be the real statement of intentions.

Well we've been conned plenty of times about this in the past with Ashley, but this time he's actually come out on tv and implied we would be spending big money in order to win something. McClaren might have a chance if that happens but if we just carry on penny pinching he's going to get just as many pelters as Pardew.

Aye, summer is the real test imo.

Aye summer 2037 when Ashley will be dead

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/next-newcastle-manager-steve-mcclaren-to-sign-on-at-magpies-to-replace-john-carver-10302520.html

Steve McClaren is expected to take over as the manager of Newcastle United by the middle of the week.

The 54-year-old will return from his family holiday on Monday and talks are expected to conclude quickly. There are only a couple of minor issues to be resolved before the former England head coach takes over. McClaren is expected to agree a four-year contract at St James’ Park as permenent successor to Alan Pardew, who left the club in December to take over at Crystal Palace.

There are only a couple of minor issues to be resolved before the former England head coach takes over

http://kentuckybasketballforum.com/uploads/images/so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

There are only a couple of minor issues to be resolved before the former England head coach takes over

http://kentuckybasketballforum.com/uploads/images/so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

Aye a chance Carver will get it by default, fingers crossed eh  :hmm: