Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Gino14

Gouffran is just a lower level striker, who because he's out of his depth in the Premier League in that position, gets used as a utility player.  He's maybe a 10 goal a season striker in the French league and a 5-8 goal a season striker in the premier league.  He isn't good enough, but he's a professional guy who works hard and does what he's told.  I think that's why managers like him and use him.  He just doesn't have any left wing, or midfield abilities at all and it has been a big part of what has prevented us having functioning wing play for a long time.

It really is a miracle we didn't get relegated last season.  For most of the season half the team was either injured, sold, or sent away early for surgery.  We had Pardew for half the season and Carver for the other half.  Our defence is terrible, our midfield creativity none existent and our strikers talented but erratic. We couldn't have cooked a relegation stew better if we'd been trying for it.  It really highlights that there's some truly awful teams in the league, some that were better organised than us, but with so little talent in the squad it didn't even matter.

For all the talk of how awful the squad is at times,  I think it's been a balance of squad deficiencies and terrible management.  I wonder if any players we've written off will come good under McClaren, not because he's amazing, just because he's not Pardew or Carver.  I'm hoping we can see more from players like Anita, Sissoko and Cabella for a start (Not that anyone has written them off in particular).  It just seemed like Sissoko got picked in all different positions and worse with Anita and Cabella, where it seems like Pardew wouldn't play them much, because they weren't 6'2 with the build of Rugby players.  I don't expect miracles from McClaren, but I'm hoping to see a more Football based approach.  Crystal Palace fans may be hailing Pardew now, but just look at the players he wants to sign.  Connor Wickham has been bought for nothing other than being a big guy, while Dwight Gayle, a player with a better record will be sidelined for not having the necessary physique.  Pardew is just such an abortion of a manager, that I'm just hoping McClaren will be a relief from that, even if it's only a small relief.

You canjust imagine this coaching staff coming in and hearing about how much the players were underachieving, and how bad the previous setup was e.g. no using of the ball for most of pre-season etc.

I can kind of understand the desire to try and see if the new approach can turn thigns around for some of them, but it's going to be tough for us the fans to want to have patience with some of these players man.

He better get the balance right for his sake. Or it won't be pretty if he sticks with players that are struggling to turn it around from before. We're just fed up with them.

The lunatic talking about the training session comes on just after the hour mark. ''People keep asking if we're ready, and well if we're not ready when we are ready we're going to be something else. I'm not being overly optimistic I'm juts saying it how I see it'' :lol: :lol:

Guest Gino14

If you turned up expecting a punt to Williamson and saw a passing drill going on instead, that might just about do it.

Whatever you say about Gouffran he is still significantly superior to Riviere

Goals wise definitely but Riviere has a far better all round game, if he could sort his finishing out he would be something, but unfortunately that's for the most part one thing that's natural and cant really be taught.

The lunatic talking about the training session comes on just after the hour mark. ''People keep asking if we're ready, and well if we're not ready when we are ready we're going to be something else. I'm not being overly optimistic I'm juts saying it how I see it'' :lol: :lol:

It was a ridiculous statement like. Training is completely different to games, Pardew picked players on how they trained rather than what they could do.

Not sure on finishing being something that can't be taught. Riv's lowlights from last season were all a lack of composure and falling over his own feet when trying to finish. That can be improved on. Same with cisse, his instinctive finishing (which absolutely is natural) is generally good but his thinking finishing could do with some work.

That call in - at least he absolutely recognises our defence was simply not good enough last season - "you don't win anything with a bad defence".  Not going to change it over night but sounds like this will be a big area of focus this season, both for the team and individuals.  Good news.

Even if training was brilliant yesterday and you witnessed it, why on earth would you go so overboard with your praise and make absurd statements like that? Absolute fucking rectangle.

In an odd way the tough early fixtures could help. I don't think many of us were expecting good football early on. If we can use the first 5/6 games to work on fundamentals and still pick up a few points, the team may start to gel when we get to easier opposition.

Even if training was brilliant yesterday and you witnessed it, why on earth would you go so overboard with your praise and make absurd statements like that? Absolute f***ing rectangle.

Maybe it was :carverlick: calling?

As far as i can see steve has the following palyers in his favoured 4231 system:

---------------------------Krul/Darlow/Fat----------------------------------

Janmaat/?????----taylor/Mbemba-----Colo/Dummet-----Haidara/Dummet

-------------------Tiote/Anita-----Colback/Wijnadlum-----------------------

Sissoko/Perez-----------Wijnal/Dejong---------------aarons/Cabella

------------------------Mitrovic/cisse

The rest are pretty pish poor so no need to include...

“People are probably are wondering, ‘Can they play in the same team?’ I think you saw in the last 20 minutes against Gladbach that yes they can."

McClaren on Gini Jong. I like the sound of that..

I know people have doubts but I get the feeling De Jong will be our key player. Just something about him that gives me faith. Wijnaldum looked better on Saturday when he dropped deeper, De Jong just looks a clever player and can see him off Mitrovic being a classier and better version of Nolan & Carroll.

Guest chopey

As far as i can see steve has the following palyers in his favoured 4231 system:

---------------------------Krul/Darlow/Fat----------------------------------

Janmaat/?????----taylor/Mbemba-----Colo/Dummet-----Haidara/Dummet

-------------------Tiote/Anita-----Colback/Wijnadlum-----------------------

Sissoko/Perez-----------Wijnal/Dejong---------------aarons/Cabella

------------------------Mitrovic/cisse

The rest are pretty pish poor so no need to include...

That squad doesnt look to bad and with a good center half and center mid it would look really good, however the amount of dead wood floating around not just our team but the whole of the premier league is frightening, Liverpool have about 10 strikers fighting for one spot. Its no wonder that some owners are reluctant to spend more money on players with current squad sizes.