Steve McClaren

Dave

I think I can start to enjoy the football again. He's no managerial genius, but he is at least a qualified coach who seems to get the basics right. Great to see us getting bodies in the box after 5 years of 8 men back defending.

This, finally movement off the ball! Actually trying to score resulting in goals! Who would have thought?

None of the subs added anything sadly. Mitrovic for Cisse was fair enough but Mitrovic acted like a tit as soon as he came on. Anita for Tiote was enforced but a better way to go would probably have been bringing De Jong on instead and pushing Wijnaldum back. Last sub had to be Aarons or Perez. That was madness.

Wijnaldum ran out of gas tbf

Even Aarons for Wijnaldum with Sissoko moving inside would have been better.

I'm not a fan of McClaren, but I have to say based on today the football looks like it could be a huge improvement if we work on a couple of areas and get 1 or 2 more players in. There's a bit of room for optimism.

I'd like us to be more attacking but I guess we can't with that defence

attacking wasn't remotely the problem today like, imo what cost us today is mclaren (or anyone else on the staff) being able to see the game slipping away for 10-15 minutes before they scored because our attack had run out of steam/ideas...if he'd have put aarons and mitro on at about 60 minutes we'd probably have won

None of the subs added anything sadly. Mitrovic for Cisse was fair enough but Mitrovic acted like a tit as soon as he came on. Anita for Tiote was enforced but a better way to go would probably have been bringing De Jong on instead and pushing Wijnaldum back. Last sub had to be Aarons or Perez. That was madness.

Wijnaldum ran out of gas tbf

Even Aarons for Wijnaldum with Sissoko moving inside would have been better.

:thup:

he got a key stuff wrong today, no doubt about it

We actually looked like a team today, which is a massive change from what we're used to.

:thup: it was a good game to watch, and it wasn't just Southampton playing the nice stuff. World's apart from Pardew and his hoof ball.

attacking wasn't remotely the problem today like, imo what cost us today is mclaren (or anyone else on the staff) being able to see the game slipping away for 10-15 minutes before they scored because our attack had run out of steam/ideas...if he'd have put aarons and mitro on at about 60 minutes we'd probably have won

:hmm:

Joking aside, I think you're being a bit harsh - our shape lost its structure after Anita went off and it was clear in the final quarter of the game that Southampton were by far the fitter side. I'm not sure whether changing up the attack would've made all that much difference tbh when the core of our midfield were all absolutely shagged.

Joking aside, I think you're being a bit harsh - our shape lost its structure after Anita went off and it was clear in the final quarter of the game that Southampton were by far the fitter side. I'm not sure whether changing up the attack would've made all that much difference tbh when the core of our midfield were all absolutely shagged.

:thup:

Yeah Southampton will be fitter but I still think it's a little alarming to see our whole team just be dead on their legs for last 10 minutes of any premier league game. You can be tiring and you can be hoofing balls up and nearly conceding two goals.

i'm saying they scored the equaliser on 79 minutes, from about 60 minutes on we were offering nothing going forward whatsoever because they'd either worked us out or we were knackered, or both

agree about anita and that was another shite sub from mclaren but had we changed it ourselves when it was obvious the game was slipping away from us then things might have been different

It's not surprising Southampton were fitter tbh, they have been playing competitive football for close to a month. Be hard pressed to find a fitter team than them at this point, at least i'd expect so.

:thup: West Ham up there as well maybe - for all their poor results in Europe, they looked fitter than Arsenal today.

Can't argue with the approach, even if there were a few iffy selections.

Southampton are a good side and my expectations weren't high, so to get a point and score a couple of goals is great.

Obviously, we need to improve our entire left side and another centre back.

I'll give McClaren a good 7/10.

Yeah Southampton will be fitter but I still think it's a little alarming to see our whole team just be dead on their legs for last 10 minutes of any premier league game. You can be tiring and you can be hoofing balls up and nearly conceding two goals.

No doubt :thup:

We are relying too much to the wingers and fullbacks with our attacking. With Winegum and De Jong in the middle we should attack through middle too. Just putting crosses is not very effective. Although we have lacked a good crosser for a while

I didn't listen to it or watch it but I've been told by one of his biggest critics that we've played well apart from in defence so it sounds like he's made a reasonable start, apart from picking Obertan.

Changing our style of play was his first hurdle for me and it seems like we've made a start.

Absolutely Mick. The style of play was the key.

It gives us something to work with.

even his harshest critic (me apparently) would agree with this

he's got to realise pretty soon though that some of the shite we've got shouldn't be playing unless there are no more options