Steve McClaren

Dave

I said during pre season he was making a mistake in not starting by making the team hard to beat and protecting our f***ing horrible defence.

Mental to say this but he needs to 'Pardew' it and probably revert to something simple like 4-4-2 with Sissoko RW, Wijnaldum and another CM, Aarons LW with Mitrocard and Perez or De Jong playing deeper trying to support.

If he persists with what he's doing, i.e. Anita and Colback combo, Obertan playing at all, sticking with Cisse when we can't keep the ball, and not acknowledging that his chosen captain is shot to f*** then things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better.

Surely this is the last thing we want? I'd sooner we try the 'McClaren way' where he learns along the way about his players, who's good enough, who's not, losing a few games, rather than putting together a team just to get a result. I saw enough against Southampton to see that this system with 2-3 players changed will do well for us. Scrapping that after one bad result against a team who've had a philosophy for the last 6 years or so, when we're trying to get to that ourselves after 4 years of dross under Pardew, would be the completely wrong way to go.

I said during pre season he was making a mistake in not starting by making the team hard to beat and protecting our f***ing horrible defence.

Mental to say this but he needs to 'Pardew' it and probably revert to something simple like 4-4-2 with Sissoko RW, Wijnaldum and another CM, Aarons LW with Mitrocard and Perez or De Jong playing deeper trying to support.

If he persists with what he's doing, i.e. Anita and Colback combo, Obertan playing at all, sticking with Cisse when we can't keep the ball, and not acknowledging that his chosen captain is shot to f*** then things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better.

Surely this is the last thing we want? I'd sooner we try the 'McClaren way' where he learns along the way about his players, who's good enough, who's not, losing a few games, rather than putting together a team just to get a result. I saw enough against Southampton to see that this system with 2-3 players changed will do well for us. Scrapping that after one bad result against a team who've had a philosophy for the last 6 years or so, when we're trying to get to that ourselves after 4 years of dross under Pardew, would be the completely wrong way to go.

Spot on mate.

What is worrying is that we didn't appear to have any sort of game plan today or if we did the players completely ignored it.

Yeah we did and it was easy to spot.

What is worrying is that we didn't appear to have any sort of game plan today or if we did the players completely ignored it.

Yeah we did and it was easy to spot.

Yup. It wasn't the non-descript away performance we've become used to. It was starting to take shape as well before the dickhead got himself sent off, which is a shame.

Spot on mate.

I think you're missing the fundamental point about shoring up the defence, it's a fucking disgrace man, and unless he gets the team solid as a unit then builds on that I don't see how it works unless they develop into Barcelona and never let the other team have the ball.

Bear in mind I'm saying this as we approach our 7 game (or whatever it is) nightmare run, on the back of a poor start. For me the time to try and tighten up is against these teams, not lose the next 6-7 games then think about it.

Spot on mate.

I think you're missing the fundamental point about shoring up the defence, it's a f***ing disgrace man, and unless he gets the team solid as a unit then builds on that I don't see how it works unless they develop into Barcelona and never let the other team have the ball.

Bear in mind I'm saying this as we approach our 7 game (or whatever it is) nightmare run, on the back of a poor start. For me the time to try and tighten up is against these teams, not lose the next 6-7 games then think about it.

http://bumpybrains.com/comics/images/bear_in_mind_comic.jpg

Well look, we're obviously going to struggle over the next 6 games. I just hope any rage developed is aimed at Ashley rather than McClaren. Hope AshleyOut.com have something lined up for after the transfer window closes.

Agreed.

The squad is absolutely piss poor. Look at central midfield, shed loads of 'competition' for places yet no balance and no outstanding talent. It's filled with shite and potential. There's no spine, no leadership and to top it off, they've all been coached by complete neanderthals for years.

I'm prepared to let SM at least have a reasonable amount of time to see what he can do with them but, in truth, we don't have players that are good enough and its therefore unsurprising that we struggle.

Giving Colo a new contract when it's clear we could have got rid is on him. That decision alone is going to cost us this season.

Not starting Perez when the likes of Obertan are playing is also criminal.

If we started poorly under a manager with proven quality or exciting potential, e.g Bielsa or Tuchel then we could all be a lot more positive. But we know McClaren and his record and he simply isn't that good to suggest things are going to be much better.

Agree with this, let's not forget how bad of a team we have become over the last few years. it's going to take a while to turn it around .. Hopefully after 20 games or so we can see we are improving and moving forward.

:clap:

Agree with this, let's not forget how bad of a team we have become over the last few years. it's going to take a while to turn it around .. Hopefully after 20 games or so we can see we are improving and moving forward.

This is a great point. The level of coaching has been so utterly woeful for so long that it's going to take a long time to turn it round. The number of bad habits/attitude the players must have developed over the Pardew years and then into complete apathy under Carver.

I completely get what your saying, but let's not forget these a professional footballers, playing at the top level they should be able to do the basics and not need coaching in how to pass and move and keep the ball at speed.

I was clapping more because it's going to take McLaren 20 or more matches to turn this fucking thing around. We have a bunch of assholes playing for us, for the most part, that have little to no tactical sense. A lot of this is down to years of Pardew and Carver, not McLaren - dude can't work miracles.

Needs at least 20 matches to be judged, and y'all are writing him off after two.

i think it's going to take time to put any sort of style in place and right the wrongs of Pardew.

What is clear is that we are trying to pass more and retain the ball but it's not quite working. Defensive and organisation is major concern as we seem to get ripped open and too many gaps

I was clapping more because it's going to take McLaren 20 or more matches to turn this f***ing thing around. We have a bunch of assholes playing for us, for the most part, that have little to no tactical sense. A lot of this is down to years of Pardew and Carver, not McLaren - dude can't work miracles.

Needs at least 20 matches to be judged, and y'all are writing him off after two.

Next game or two will tell is a lot and not necessarily the result. But if he persists with Obertan, Colback and Cisse whilst the likes of Perez, Aaron's and Mitrovic are on the bench then he is making a rod for his own back.

Plus out main issue at CB has been ignored again due to his decision to keep Colo.

I was clapping more because it's going to take McLaren 20 or more matches to turn this f***ing thing around. We have a bunch of assholes playing for us, for the most part, that have little to no tactical sense. A lot of this is down to years of Pardew and Carver, not McLaren - dude can't work miracles.

not all of us  :)

most people understand that the last two years can't be undone in 2 months. but there'll always be those who react badly after a loss.

Guest antz1uk

2 games he's had 3/4 better options stuck on the bench

Well either you or he doesn't understand fractions.

What sort of smart arse comment is that? If it was meant to be a fraction the numbers would be half the size, as I'm sure even you would realise,  being so clever

I saw about 40 minutes yesterday. Before Janmaat's sending off I was impressed by how determined we were to pass the ball around. The game was lost after the sending off, as Swansea away is the worst game to be down to 10 men.

Apart from Obertan, McClaren's team selections have been ok. As the season gets going Aarons and Perez will find their way into the side, hopefully Thauvin will sign too.

It's a horrible start, fixtures wise but there are some hopeful signs that a team is being rebuilt on the right foundations.

The defence remains a concern of course.

i think it's going to take time to put any sort of style in place and right the wrongs of Pardew.

What is clear is that we are trying to pass more and retain the ball but it's not quite working. Defensive and organisation is major concern as we seem to get ripped open and too many gaps

:thup:

Can't believe people don't think it's the absolute priority for us to close up shop for the next few games, get them used to bring solid and not conceding hopefully while grabbing a point or two along the way.

The alternative is mental, we'll get torn to shreds in at least 3 or 4 of the next few games and we'll be in tatters at the end of it.

Can't believe people don't think it's the absolute priority for us to close up shop for the next few games, get them used to bring solid and not conceding hopefully while grabbing a point or two along the way.

The alternative is mental, we'll get torn to shreds in at least 3 or 4 of the next few games and we'll be in tatters at the end of it.

Confidence will be in tatters if we get a few hidings. We absolutely need to work on shape and closing gaps when opposition have ball as we look clueless.

We need to hunt in packs to force mistakes and be ready to counter. We give teams too much space across midfield and allow them down the wings. When we lose it Colback and Anita should work either side with full backs and wijnaldum should drop in centre with wingers closing down full backs.

Confidence will be in tatters if we get a few hidings. We absolutely need to work on shape and closing gaps when opposition have ball as we look clueless.

We need to hunt in packs to force mistakes and be ready to counter. We give teams too much space across midfield and allow them down the wings. When we lose it Colback and Anita should work either side with full backs and wijnaldum should drop in centre with wingers closing down full backs.

Could not agree more. I think he's underestimated the state of the team in a defensive capacity since he arrived and he's got to get a handle on it.

It's staggering really, you'd have thought one of these smart cunt coaches he brought in would have looked at the goals we've let in over the last 4 years and thought, "well, we'd better put a stop to that shit".

what are you talking about/who are you talking to?

what you've said in the last 3 posts is absolutely correct btw but what would your solution be?  seems like most people here just want to continue with what we've got on the assumption that the pardew factor will wear off in time

it won't, it needs eradicating from the club with better personnel selections, tactical setups and an acknowledgement that we have the worst defence in the league, or at least one of the worst 2 or 3