Steve McClaren

Dave

I don't think there was anything offensive about his judgement today. For a start, he was always gonna go with the same team after a decent performance last week.

As for the other contentious points; A - like fuck is he gonna sub his only RB off. B - he went for damage limitation, which appears worrying on the surface given the relentless negativity we've suffered in recent times, but taking this as an individual case, it wasn't a horrific decision. The game is almost certainly gone, so keep it tight and don't concede any more - maybe we'll nick one on the break.

I'm hoping that, at the moment, he's going with functional lineups to engage the lads in a bit of continuity and organisation, before blending our flair players into an established system a few weeks in.

Just got to move on after today. We weren't getting a point out of that the moment Janmaat had his moment of idiocy.

That could easily be a post out of the 11/12 season.

Aye - absolutely right - the one where we finished 5th. :lol: I know it was Pardew but that was a pretty decent year.

We were winning despite not deserving to. Now we get the results we deserve. That's the only difference. People still believed he was just waiting to ease Ben Arfa in, which is why he was playing Obertan instead. Some managers just don't like flair players. I hope McClaren isn't going to be one but he's got flair players and he isn't using them and we're struggling going forward like we have for the last few seasons.

I'm prepared to disassociate McClaren with Pardew and give him more than two games to make a judgement. And fwiw, I thought we went forward with a lot more of a gameplan than we have in ages against Southampton. Today was different cos we lost a man, were soon two down, and the game was completely gone.

I'm prepared to disassociate McClaren with Pardew and give him more than two games to make a judgement. And fwiw, I thought we went forward with a lot more of a gameplan than we have in ages against Southampton. Today was different cos we lost a man, were soon two down, and the game was completely gone.

We were rubbish going forward with 11 men too. There was just nothing in attack at all today.

So far he's been as utter uninspiring as I'd imagined. He still needs another centre back and a central midfielder at the very least, but he managed to make Swansea look like a top 4 side today.

I've always said he won't under or overachieve. The results and performances have been what you'd expect so far. Badly need reinforcements.

As I've said once, he needs to hurry up and figure out what the players are actually like versus what his perception was when appointed. Coloccini, Obertan, and to a lesser extent Colback have no business being in our chosen Xl.

We were rubbish going forward with 11 men too. There was just nothing in attack at all today.

We were definitely second best but I thought we had a couple of reasonable passages of play. There was plenty of that for 45 minutes against Southampton, too.

I just don't think you can extract anything from today. Any hope of a result was irreparably shattered by one player completely losing his nerve against a winger who had the better of him. I don't have any major issues with McClaren choosing to go for damage limitation; not in a game where it'd have taken an obscene performance to turn it around. Just put this one to bed and move onto the next one.

Just because he made a move that was undoubtedly negative doesn't mean he's Pardew mkII. The subs last week were pretty gash, granted, and I said so at the time.

I'd like to think that he's being patient with the set-up, with a mind for establishing a solid unit from the players available. I don't think it's a bad idea. Yes, there are plenty of talented options for the front six, and hopefully they'll start sneaking into the side once it's found a coherent formula for both attacking and defending as a unit.

Looking individually at the players waiting in the wings - Cisse has the nod over Perez, Cabella has been injured and Aarons is raw. The latter, by the way, has looked a promising player in the extremely fleeting appearances he's had, but I'm not up-in-arms that he doesn't get an immediate place on the teamsheet. We don't know much about him.

With the defensive personnel that we have, it's going to be difficult to forge a side that's always difficult to break down - particularly away from home. Like I say - he's aiming for something functional, much like Pardew did at the beginning of that 11/12 season. It doesn't mean that McClaren is Pardew - it means that he doesn't think we're going to fly immediately into playing swashbuckling football where the opposition are immediately pegged-back. Especially when our defense is likely to crumble without proper protection.

As I've said, I'm prepared to bide my time with McClaren in general, and I'm prepared to bide my time as far as seeing our best eleven out on the pitch. If, come Christmas, we're hovering in the bottom half of the table and he's still favouring the likes of Obertan over others who have more potential, I'll be concerned.

Way too early but I just don't see McLaren being a success

His record at pretty much every club and of course England suggest this.

Obviously he will be given games but our fixtures are brutal and we will be in the bottom 3 by end of September and the pressure will be immense.

I can see him only getting one point from the first 5 games...would that be the worst start to any premiership newcastle manager or we actually had worse? Suppose carver would have been close to that, but my memory has wiped out the end of 2015 season to protect from self harm.

Not sure if people were expecting anything more than what we've seen so far. He's a better character than the previous two we had last season, and carries a bit more experience than Pardew, but essentially the glass ceiling is around the same and the only thing that will give him a chance at this is what we do in the boardroom and what players we can get in and out the club.

If it's sell to buy then cisse, Tiote and sissoko need selling ASAP and all proceeds spent on two defensive players. We could have a good season by recent standards if that happened.

I can see him only getting one point from the first 5 games...would that be the worst start to any premiership newcastle manager or we actually had worse? Suppose carver would have been close to that, but my memory has wiped out the end of 2015 season to protect from self harm.

Not sure if people were expecting anything more than what we've seen so far. He's a better character than the previous two we had last season, and carries a bit more experience than Pardew, but essentially the glass ceiling is around the same and the only thing that will give him a chance at this is what we do in the boardroom and what players we can get in and out the club.

If it's sell to buy then cisse, Tiote and sissoko need selling ASAP and all proceeds spent on two defensive players. We could have a good season by recent standards if that happened.

The pressure would be on big time then. Nothing would happen though.