Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

He's out of his depth, or rather NUFC and everything about it is too big an obstacle for him. He's at a club whose fans are utterly downbeat and pessimistic about everything and everyone and with good reason, whose transfer policy is ridiculous and whose owner only wants survival and maximum exposure for his sports stores.

McClaren is a good coach with a seemingly good backroom team around him, a coach with obvious ambition. But NUFC just isn't right for him and he isn't right for us. We will struggle to finish top ten this season and may even flirt with relegation. And then what about next season? Maybe finish 10th or 8th?

NUFC needed a whole new turnaround. A brave and exciting manager who wouldn't have a Colback or Obertan even in reserves never mind the first-team, someone who can excite fans and make them believe and the squad needs at least 100m of money spent on it. The signings thus far are all an unknown quantity and are as likely to fail than succeed.

It will be a continuation of Pardew, without the smugness, bull shit, crazy defeats and total tactical blackouts. Top 10 is our best hope under McClaren.

Well, bowl me over, where do I sign for that season ticket...

I'm no footy expert so I'm no as clued up as others but none of our new signings excite me or make me feel like we are making massive inroads. In fact, we are are as far away player and squad wise from where we need/must be as we have been under Ashley post Hughton. We desperately need a genuine PL goalscorer, a commanding experienced PL centre-back, cover in goal of decent quality, a LB and cover at FB and genuine width for the flanks.

We have Cisse to rely on as our only genuine PL goalscorer, and he is hot and cold. Colo is shot and this new fella is only young and will need time. Hadieria is young and not ready and we need cover for Janmaat. We have no width at present either. Aarons is young and inexperienced and Obertan is fucking shit. Sissoko is not a winger.

The fact Colback and Anita are starting and there is no place for Perez is also alarming from McClaren. Its Pardew level shit to be honest.

He's out of his depth, or rather NUFC and everything about it is too big an obstacle for him. He's at a club whose fans are utterly downbeat and pessimistic about everything and everyone and with good reason, whose transfer policy is ridiculous and whose owner only wants survival and maximum exposure for his sports stores.

McClaren is a good coach with a seemingly good backroom team around him, a coach with obvious ambition. But NUFC just isn't right for him and he isn't right for us. We will struggle to finish top ten this season and may even flirt with relegation. And then what about next season? Maybe finish 10th or 8th?

NUFC needed a whole new turnaround. A brave and exciting manager who wouldn't have a Colback or Obertan even in reserves never mind the first-team, someone who can excite fans and make them believe and the squad needs at least 100m of money spent on it. The signings thus far are all an unknown quantity and are as likely to fail than succeed.

It will be a continuation of Pardew, without the smugness, bull shit, crazy defeats and total tactical blackouts. Top 10 is our best hope under McClaren.

I'm no footy expert so I'm no as clued up as others but none of our new signings excite me or make me feel like we are making massive inroads. In fact, we are are as far away player and squad wise from where we need/must be as we have been under Ashley post Hughton. We desperately need a genuine PL goalscorer, a commanding experienced PL centre-back, cover in goal of decent quality, a LB and cover at FB and genuine width for the flanks.

We have Cisse to rely on as our only genuine PL goalscorer, and he is hot and cold. Colo is shot and this new fella is only young and will need time. Hadieria is young and not ready and we need cover for Janmaat. We have no width at present either. Aarons is young and inexperienced and Obertan is fucking shit. Sissoko is not a winger.

The fact Colback and Anita are starting and there is no place for Perez is also alarming from McClaren. Its Pardew level shit to be honest.

He played 2 competitive games man, way to early to give judgement, obviously it's going to take time for him to realise people like Obertan won't work, and so far he has done everything Pardew wouldnt, so that comparison is a bit weird. Just give the guy time imo.

Guest Howaythetoon

It will be a continuation of Pardew, without the smugness, bull s***, crazy defeats and total tactical blackouts. Top 10 is our best hope under McClaren.

We have Cisse to rely on as our only genuine PL goalscorer, and he is hot and cold. Colo is shot and this new fella is only young and will need time. Hadieria is young and not ready and we need cover for Janmaat. We have no width at present either. Aarons is young and inexperienced and Obertan is f***ing s***. Sissoko is not a winger.

The fact Colback and Anita are starting and there is no place for Perez is also alarming from McClaren. Its Pardew level s*** to be honest.

Admire your desire to write such a detailed opinion, but it's way to early to even contemplate making a judgement. Give the guy a chance. He might just surprise you.

I'm not arsed either way so he can stay here a year or 5. He won't surprise anyone though.

What is realistic expectation tho? I don't think we could challenge for top 4 no matter how much we invest. The best players will always go to bigger teams. Top 8 or maybe top 6 is pretty much the highest we can hope. And not for a while.

Well if we do all that and play better (read actual) football, then we are still making progress. I'm not convinced about McClaren either at this point, but I am convinced he and his team are a massive improvement on Pardew/Charver & co. One step at a time.

It will be a continuation of Pardew, without the smugness, bull s***, crazy defeats and total tactical blackouts. Top 10 is our best hope under McClaren.

We have Cisse to rely on as our only genuine PL goalscorer, and he is hot and cold. Colo is shot and this new fella is only young and will need time. Hadieria is young and not ready and we need cover for Janmaat. We have no width at present either. Aarons is young and inexperienced and Obertan is f***ing s***. Sissoko is not a winger.

The fact Colback and Anita are starting and there is no place for Perez is also alarming from McClaren. Its Pardew level s*** to be honest.

Jesus Christ, we've played 2 games!  :lol:

2 games on the back of being shite for 4 year and our answer to this was to ignore improving the squad and hire some shit cunt.

I'm just so exhausted from hating, I simply have to give him time. He might do a shit job - well aware of that possibility, but at a glance he appears to have more of a game plan than Pardew.

An extraordinaire diatribe.  :lol:

Like I said after the game, I think he's trying to simply build a coherent unit at the moment. He's going for something functional and I honestly don't think that's a bad way to attack it, given that 99% of the team is the same team that lost 8 on the trot recently. We're riddled with a losing mentality that has suffered from negative, reactionary tactics fitted to contain the opposition every week - regardless of who it is. There was never, aside from 11/12, something you could call 'our way' under Pardew. Ever since we lost 4-0 at Wigan, the team has been set up with each individual opposition in mind - it's going to take time to establish our own personality.

If we're going to establish that personality, we need to go back to basics first. Morale is a factor too, so avoiding incoming hammerings like at the weekend is important, hence why I didn't have any real problems with the 4140.

Like I said after the game, I think he's trying to simply build a coherent unit at the moment. He's going for something functional and I honestly don't think that's a bad way to attack it, given that 99% of the team is the same team that lost 8 on the trot recently. We're riddled with a losing mentality that has suffered from negative, reactionary tactics fitted to contain the opposition every week - regardless of who it is. There was never, aside from 11/12, something you could call 'our way' under Pardew. Ever since we lost 4-0 at Wigan, the team has been set up with each individual opposition in mind - it's going to take time to establish our own personality.

If we're going to establish that personality, we need to go back to basics first. Morale is a factor too, so avoiding incoming hammerings like at the weekend is important, hence why I didn't have any real problems with the 4140.

Completely agree with all of this. No matter who the new manager was, the restrictions in terms of not being able to radically overhaul the squad would always make improvement a gradual process, after three years of absolute dirge. Anyone who is already whining about Steve McClaren after 2 games must be off their fucking tits :lol:

Every man and his dog was whining about his appointment 6 months before he got the gig, and they'd still be whining now if it wasn't for some arbitrary requirement to accept any shite we're given until they prove what we already know, that they're not good enough.

But aye nowt will change under Mike so whatever, I cannot force myself to like it so I may aswell twist on about it.

Wouldn't top 10 be an improvement for this season and/or next?

I agree that in 5 years time we would like to be more than "just 10th" but getting up to 10th this season would be good. And I would take

a continuation of Pardew, without the smugness, bull s***, crazy defeats and total tactical blackouts. Top 10 is our best hope under McClaren.
for now while we work on getting better looking football and ultimately better results.

i don't agree with a lot of this post, in that i agree it's probably what mclaren is trying to do but his execution is balls atm if we're being honest

worst defence in the league (give or take) over 2-3 seasons, his answer to that is to put 2 players in who don't protect enough and hand his broken captain a contract extension

i could forgive the lack of attention at the back if we were attacking well and damaging teams, the old score one more than them bullshit, but we're not doing that either while he keeps perez, aarons and mitrovic on the bench and plays obertan and sissoko as a wide attacker

i know it's only been two games but he's getting a boat load of fundamentals wrong imo just now

i don't agree with a lot of this post, in that i agree it's probably what mclaren is trying to do but his execution is balls atm if we're being honest

worst defence in the league (give or take) over 2-3 seasons, his answer to that is to put 2 players in who don't protect enough and hand his broken captain a contract extension

i could forgive the lack of attention at the back if we were attacking well and damaging teams, the old score one more than them bullshit, but we're not doing that either while he keeps perez, aarons and mitrovic on the bench and plays obertan and sissoko as a wide attacker

i know it's only been two games but he's getting a boat load of fundamentals wrong imo just now

tend to agree that we are simply a continuation from last season with one or two new faces but a losing mentality and cannot see any fundimental change in our play or tactics even with a new coaching staff ,sadly still shit players letting us down.

There are two problems, the players he's not picking and then those that he is. Colo should never have been given a new contract and should never be starting. Neither should Haidara though until Dummett is fit there isnt really any other option. Ditto Anita, Colback, Obertan and Cisse. That's a lot of pretty useless players he doesn't need to start.

The two outstanding players we potentially have in the squad Aaron's and Ayose don't start, neither does Mitrovic

Not impressed so far.

Keegan took 8 games to turn us around after Allardyce without a pre-season to work with the players or any new players to give the squad a lift.  I'll give McClaren more time as he is trying to change the way we play, we've seen that already.

He's not getting a blank cheque and neither should he and he can still be judged now but shouldn't be written off.  And for him having 99% of the same team that lost 8 games in a row.  My maths tells me differently as he could easily be playing 3 out of 11 players who have joined us in the summer and that could go up to 4 out of 11 before we play Man U.  If he choses not to pick the new lads then that's his problem and it can hardly be used as a justification for anything, it's his choice.

Much of what HTT says is correct, but right now we have no alternative than to give McClaren several more games to get a team sorted out and that means a team capable of at least winning most of its home games and being able to collect some points away from home.

The whole problem is that we were NEVER going to get a top manager under Ashley and whilst he remains as owner we never will because none of them would accept the job under the lousy conditions they have to work under, i.e. beholden to the likes of Penfold(now he really IS out of his depth) to organize pre-season(which is done to suit Ashley's marketing plans)and sign quality players in the positions we need in time to get them into a pattern before a season starts...

NUFC is undoubtedly the biggest club McClaren has had to manage and there is little doubt that, under a more ambitious and focussed owner, he wouldn't be manager now but we are stuck with him and he does at least deserve 10 games to sort things out ; having said that, the signs are not great because he has stuck with players who are clearly either not good enough(Obertan etc)or players that are past their best(Colo). He has very few options, but the likes of Aarons, Perez and Mitrovic should be at least given a decent spell to show what they can do because we are weak in the positions they play in right now.

The team lacks a playmaker(like Cabaye)and a decent CB but at least one of these positions is NOT going to be rectified before January at the earliest. I hope Thauvin improves wing service, but I am a bit wary that he may turn out to be another Cabella and lightweight for the PL  - if so, the money will have been wasted as it could have been spent on one of the positions we are weaker in.

McClaren's forte in the past seems to have been as a decent coach - if so, he will need to use every bit of that experience to get the best from what he has to work with because we are clearly NOT going to get signings that will address the major problems in the side.

If the team is showing no improvement by January, then questions about his managerial capabilities should and will be asked but he has an unenviable task which not many others in his profession would either relish or accept.

The biggest question should be more about how long Ashley will hang on to the club if we look like being dragged into a relegation battle again...Rangers are already showing signs of storming the Scottish Championship and he may see their possible promotion back to the SPL as a better vehicle for his European marketing although he may wait until they actually qualify for the CL in a year or 2  - not a happy prospect for NUFC fans....

Would a CL Rangers actually be any significantly better for SD marketing in Europe than a PL Newcastle?

It won't be a breeze to get them to the group stages regularly and even then it's only 6 games, whereas I imagine the Premier League is shown in most European countries anyway, and a lot of the rest of the football watching world.