Steve McClaren

Dave

He has to mix it up a bit now, how can he expect to motivate players by just trotting out the same team every week and taking a bumming? Something has to change.

Agreed. It's all well and good having rows with your players but if you don't have the balls to drop them then the words start to ring hollow. If Colo's not doing the business then get Lascelles or Dummett in there and show you mean business.

For a while I could understand (and I thought too) that it was just a matter of time before McClaren had us keeping the ball better and everything would click into place. But I think it's pretty clear now that a few heads have dropped and that's not going to happen. Sometimes you just need to make a couple of changes, even if the alternative players are worse on paper.

Garde has dropped Grealish from the Villa team and banished him to train with the U-21 team as punishment for breaking club rules and going to a nightclub after their defeat last weekend. He's also refused to accept Steve Round as part of his backroom staff and changed the diet of the first team squad, the majority of whom he says are happy to accept the changes.

It's not necessarily going to keep them up, but he's hardly been a week in the job and he's showing signs of leadership and stating out loud that the team needs firm direction. With so many of our squad going through the motions, I'd say that we could do with a similar approach.

Didn't McClaren ban swearing and impose a strict lateness policy at the start of the season?

Yeah that's really fired a rocket up their arses.

He has to mix it up a bit now, how can he expect to motivate players by just trotting out the same team every week and taking a bumming? Something has to change.

Agreed. It's all well and good having rows with your players but if you don't have the balls to drop them then the words start to ring hollow. If Colo's not doing the business then get Lascelles or Dummett in there and show you mean business.

For a while I could understand (and I thought too) that it was just a matter of time before McClaren had us keeping the ball better and everything would click into place. But I think it's pretty clear now that a few heads have dropped and that's not going to happen. Sometimes you just need to make a couple of changes, even if the alternative players are worse on paper.

Garde has dropped Grealish from the Villa team and banished him to train with the U-21 team as punishment for breaking club rules and going to a nightclub after their defeat last weekend. He's also refused to accept Steve Round as part of his backroom staff and changed the diet of the first team squad, the majority of whom he says are happy to accept the changes.

It's not necessarily going to keep them up, but he's hardly been a week in the job and he's showing signs of leadership and stating out loud that the team needs firm direction. With so many of our squad going through the motions, I'd say that we could do with a similar approach.

Didn't McClaren ban swearing and impose a strict lateness policy at the start of the season?

Certainly taught them a lesson

A better CB than Colo and a better CM than any we have now shouldn't be that hard to find, even in a winter window.

I'd be tempted to go to Man U, get Valdez, and give them whatever they want for another player in return for making that happen. Say 10 guaranteed starts for Tyler Blackett or McNair, or Pereira or one of their other fringe players. I think either of those CBs are the finished article, but they'd put much more effort in than Colo.

Yeah that's really fired a rocket up their arses.

Really needed a show idleness kick in the bollocks policy.

If it was as simple as personnel I'd say the bare minimum we need to guarantee 17th would be one significant centre-mid upgrade.

Of course, it's not as simple as that, though. McClaren's attempt to change the culture of the whole club isn't working and as long as the majority of the squad don't give a shit, we'll be dicing with relegation.

i see clement took derby to the top of the table last night :yao:

Biggest budget in the league, highest gates, it's hardly any great acheivement to get them to the top of the league. Any idiot should be able to get then promoted. Staggering that we appointed a clown who couldn't even get them into the playoffs (after he'd already turned us down twice as well).

Biggest budget in the league, highest gates, it's hardly any great acheivement to get them to the top of the league. Any idiot should be able to get then promoted. Staggering that we appointed a clown who couldn't even get them into the playoffs (after he'd already turned us down twice as well).

I had no idea about the resources he'd had like but it's just another example of a coach we could all have potentially got behind. I mean if you go for potential and there's a rocky start I'm sure we'd all be up for giving him time, but with McClaren we know his history and without decent investment it's not getting much better is it?

I had no idea about the resources he'd had like but it's just another example of a coach we could all have potentially got behind. I mean if you go for potential and there's a rocky start I'm sure we'd all be up for giving him time, but with McClaren we know his history and without decent investment it's not getting much better is it?

Even with decent investment I can't see it getting much better. The club is rotten from top to bottom, a losers mentality runs right through it. We can spend as much money as we like but if you have the wrong people in charge of buying the wrong players who are coached by the wrong manager it's going to be relegation battles year in, year out until we finally drop. I think this will be the season that happens.

The whole ethos of the club needs changed but sadly that isn't going to happen until Ashley sells up.

And where were Derby this time last year?

What's your point? I think I've already said they were top or thereabouts on this very page.

What was your point? The bloke is doing exactly the same as what our current manager was doing, this time last year, but with more funds. Just seems a weird stick to beat him with, if that's what you were going for.

What's your point? I think I've already said they were top or thereabouts on this very page.

What was your point? The bloke is doing exactly the same as what our current manager was doing, this time last year, but with more funds. Just seems a weird stick to beat him with, if that's what you were going for.

Well they've both taken over clubs that ended the season poorly and both been given decent investment and we're rooted at the bottom of the league. For a start.

Granted we were in worse shape, much worse, but my point was made later that we could have gone for a young manager full of potential and went for McClaren.

I'd rather have taken a chance on Clement basically, and there's now a chance they'll be swapping divisions [emoji38]

Well they've both taken over clubs that ended the season poorly and both been given decent investment and we're rooted at the bottom of the league. For a start.

Granted we were in worse shape, much worse, but my point was made later that we could have gone for a young manager full of potential and went for McClaren.

I'd rather have taken a chance on Clement basically, and there's now a chance they'll be swapping divisions [emoji38]

I couldn't think of a worse job for a bloke with no management experience or any managerial reputation to start with. This lot need a great man manager, more than anything else, and they tend to come with experience.

Derby built a great core, like. They suffered from injuries, so I heard, and just needed to get some back and add a bit extra to push on.

I couldn't think of a worse job for a bloke with no management experience or any managerial reputation to start with. This lot need a great man manager, more than anything else, and they tend to come with experience.

Derby built a great core, like. They suffered from injuries, so I heard, and just needed to get some back and add a bit extra to push on.

fair enough if you think like that, but conversely shouldn't a manager with mcclaren's experience have managed to make some discernible improvements by now?  i mean yeah our squad is shit but even pardew managed to wring some results out of them from time to time

fair enough if you think like that, but conversely shouldn't a manager with mcclaren's experience have managed to make some discernible improvements by now?  i mean yeah our squad is s*** but even pardew managed to wring some results out of them from time to time

McClaren isn't the right bloke for this particular job either, like. But I think he's not got the results because he's not tried to be negative. Pardew only ever got results when he realised he couldn't get us playing properly so just went defend and counter. McClaren, to me, has seemed to try and not be like that, we keep more possession and try to build play more because he has an idea for the future. Do I think he'd be wise to disband that? Yeah, but I don't blame him for not.

I reckon McClaren could do quite well, I think he massively understimated the scale of what he needed to do though. Shame he's walked into an utterly poisonous environment

Pardew has changed everything at this club. Before he came a manager was expected to make an impact regardless of his backing in the market, or otherwise. Since Pardew managers apparently have a free pass because the squad isn't great.

He's shown absolutely fucking nothing in 6 months in the job, nothing. And I said this about Pardew tbf.

And for all the shit players in the squad he still has Sissoko, Mitrovic, Perez, Wijnaldum, Janmaat, Mbemba and arguably a couple more who aren't utter garbage.

He's coaxed one performance out of them the entire season, one, and we were even the worst team for most of that game.

I reckon McClaren could do quite well, I think he massively understimated the scale of what he needed to do though. Shame he's walked into an utterly poisonous environment 

I think so too, problem is everything at the club is so shit that he might never break through and himself a chance to succeed.

He doesn't seem to be a massively effective motivator (at least not of these players) and we don't seem to be able to grind our way to a few results, so getting through this period of dire confidence is going to be extremely hard for him.

I think so too, problem is everything at the club is so s*** that he might never break through and himself a chance to succeed.

He doesn't seem to be a massively effective motivator (at least not of these players) and we don't seem to be able to grind our way to a few results, so getting through this period of dire confidence is going to be extremely hard for him.

Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's no the next Keegan but I reckon he's a lot better than this

Pardew has changed everything at this club. Before he came a manager was expected to make an impact regardless of his backing in the market, or otherwise. Since Pardew managers apparently have a free pass because the squad isn't great.

He's shown absolutely f***ing nothing in 6 months in the job, nothing. And I said this about Pardew tbf.

And for all the s*** players in the squad he still has Sissoko, Mitrovic, Perez, Wijnaldum, Janmaat, Mbemba and arguably a couple more who aren't utter garbage.

He's coaxed one performance out of them the entire season, one, and we were even the worst team for most of that game.

You do realise Keegan has just said this, don't you?

I don’t think he (McClaren) realised how poor the squad was when he took over. Those players remind me of when I took over all those years ago when they were in the second division.

He's shown absolutely f***ing nothing in 6 months in the job, nothing. And I said this about Pardew tbf.

And for all the s*** players in the squad he still has Sissoko, Mitrovic, Perez, Wijnaldum, Janmaat, Mbemba and arguably a couple more who aren't utter garbage.

You do realise Keegan has just said this, don't you?

I don’t think he (McClaren) realised how poor the squad was when he took over. Those players remind me of when I took over all those years ago when they were in the second division.

Yes I saw that, so fuck? It's proof of what I'm saying, Keegan coached improvement he didn't have to buy it from the off.

The squad is poor but it's simply not 2 wins from 13 poor like.

The manager is shit and that shows.