Steve McClaren

Dave

There's not a scrap of evidence to suggest they'll bin him. People seem to have completely forgotten about how they stuck by Pardew and had absolutely no plans to replace him, including not having any sort of contingency in place when he decided to leave. And even then, they left the caretaker in charge for over half the season.

They think they know better than everyone else. It's as simple as that.

I don't think they'll bin him either, but I don't think it can be compared to pardew. I think they clung on to pardews early days here when results went well, something mcclaren hasn't had.

McClaren has spent the majority of the season in the bottom 3 after they've spent £80m.

Well to counter that McClaren is in an unprecedented position of power compared to Pardew after being appointed to the board.

As if 'the board' have any clout though. Ashley pulls every string, always has, always will. The rest is just window dressing imo.

Anyway:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-mcclaren-given-more-time-10890823

Newcastle United do not have any immediate plans to change head coach - despite the club’s concerning Premier League position.

United are hoping that the long break before their next fixture will allow Steve McClaren the time he needs to address some of United’s current issues, and allow a host of injuries in the squad to clear up.

Former England manager McClaren came under fire from former players in the aftermath of the 5-1 loss to Chelsea with Mick Quinn suggesting he was “out of his depth”.

Alan Shearer described the defeat as “embarrassing” and that McClaren should be “extremely worried” at Newcastle’s current plight.

But the Chronicle understands that there will be no knee-jerk reaction from the Magpies, and McClaren will be handed more time to turn things around.

Some fans have suggested that Brendan Rodgers or David Moyes would be good candidates for the job, but Newcastle are not considering any type of change at the present moment.

United are also renowned for sticking to their plans, and not being swayed by opinions in the media.

Indeed, that was the case when Alan Pardew weathered a number of storms in 2014 when he continually won the backing of his board.

Newcastle’s next Premier League game takes place on March 2 at Stoke City before a home game with AFC Bournemouth three days later.

Failure to pick points in those fixtures could see Newcastle cut adrift in the bottom three, but managing director Lee Charnley, who watched on from the stands at Chelsea, is prepared to give McClaren his backing and support.

There have been no collective chants for a change in head coach from Newcastle supporters but criticism directed towards the club on social media has been rife over the weekend.

It's just f***ing groundhog day. Another season of the words "knee-jerk" being used after a long, drawn out run of shitty performances. Acting now would be the opposite of knee-jerk. It would be too f***ing late.

Spot on.

3 or 4 years too late if anything.

There's not a scrap of evidence to suggest they'll bin him. People seem to have completely forgotten about how they stuck by Pardew and had absolutely no plans to replace him, including not having any sort of contingency in place when he decided to leave. And even then, they left the caretaker in charge for over half the season.

Bang on. Also I don't believe for a second that they're prepared to basically acknowledge that they ballsed it up. They will stick with what they have in the blind faith that we will somehow stay up, which I think we will actually. Not sure how I feel about that really. The irony of "Little" Mike's post Pardew #wait interview and especially Fat Mike's pre-Villa interview backfiring so spectacularly would be strangely satisfying, maybe even more so than going into next season with McClaren at the helm and doing it all again.

It's all just insane, a man sacked by a Championship club and is hired by a premier league one who were supposedly looking for a fresh start after a horrific couple of seasons of Pardew / Carver inflicted misery. We needed someone to inspire and shake things up, not just another buffoon who would serve up more of the same.

Ashley, Charnley etc only have themselves to blame for this gargantuan mess we're in. Sadly as they did with Pardew I think they'll stick by this imbecile while we sleepwalk into the Championship.

The entire club feels like it's on life support with no chance of recovery.

Think he'll get the chop in the Summer though. Except if we do get relegated. In a weird Mike Ashleyist logic I could see them keep him on if we go down and be the man for the lower division.

Think he'll get the chop in the Summer though. Except if we do get relegated. In a weird Mike Ashleyist logic I could see them keep him on if we go down and be the man for the lower division.

If we stay up they'll think they were proven right sticking by him.

I'd say the only scrap, and it's a tiny one, is that the January window suggested that they are actually aware of how deep the shit is in which we find ourselves.

Going as far as offering to spend £21 million on Berahino suggests they know that something has to be done.

I'm all for a bit more loyalty in football but not to the point where we got to with Pardew and now Schteeve. Bit of a contradiction to what happened with Hughton who was sacked for a lot less than any of those two clowns have made us endure.

Hughton was sacked for siding with the players in a bonus dispute. Football didn't even enter the equation, just as it never does with our managerial appointments and departures.

If we stay up they'll think they were proven right sticking by him.

Aye it's wondrous how the target at the start of the season goes out of the window with zero repercussions every year.

I don't understand why the crowd haven't turned on him yet. Just as bad as pardew and carver.

Did the crowd really turn against those two apart from the odd occasion - no. Unfortunately you have a new age of fan who goes to the match mainly as a social outing. In the past all 3 and Ashley would have been hounded by the support instead now you have half arsed one off attempts which are not even supported by the vast majority.

I know people won't agree and I accept that as each to their own but in my opinion every supporter who attends St James Park is supporting the regime and is not supporting the club. How any fan can attend and stay silent whilst the club is being ripped apart at an alarming rate I just can't understand. Support the team not the regime I hear sorry but bollocks as you are supporting the regime every time you pay your money to go into the devil's den.

I wouldn't miss for nothing at one time and was a season ticket holder for over 40 years since I was a bairn but you couldn't pay me to attend with these cretins in charge who repeat the same relegation battle year after a year as a perverse gamble - this is not the club I love it's a club possessed. All 3 managers at any other club would have been sacked months (in Pardew's case years) before they finally left. What's the odds on this club getting relgated and McClaren still being in charge?

Fairly sure most of the crowd had turned against Pardew in the end like. The pressure was clearly getting to him with headbutt gate and tear gate. Of course there will always be the supafans that would turn up to watch the grass grow.

Fairly sure most of the crowd had turned against Pardew in the end like. The pressure was clearly getting to him with headbutt gate and tear gate. Of course there will always be the supafans that would turn up to watch the grass grow.

Not really the odd boo at half time and full time and the odd chant but not a concerted effort game after game as it would have been a few years ago. You're right about the superfan but unfortunately that is the majority now who love their social standing going to the match brings.

I don't understand why the crowd haven't turned on him yet. Just as bad as pardew and carver.

Did the crowd really turn against those two apart from the odd occasion - no. Unfortunately you have a new age of fan who goes to the match mainly as a social outing. In the past all 3 and Ashley would have been hounded by the support instead now you have half arsed one off attempts which are not even supported by the vast majority.

I know people won't agree and I accept that as each to their own but in my opinion every supporter who attends St James Park is supporting the regime and is not supporting the club. How any fan can attend and stay silent whilst the club is being ripped apart at an alarming rate I just can't understand. Support the team not the regime I hear sorry but bollocks as you are supporting the regime every time you pay your money to go into the devil's den.

I wouldn't miss for nothing at one time and was a season ticket holder for over 40 years since I was a bairn but you couldn't pay me to attend with these cretins in charge who repeat the same relegation battle year after a year as a perverse gamble - this is not the club I love it's a club possessed. All 3 managers at any other club would have been sacked months (in Pardew's case years) before they finally left. What's the odds on this club getting relgated and McClaren still being in charge?

I agree I think the fans should stay away bit if you do turn up give the regime hell

I agree I think the fans should stay away bit if you do turn up give the regime hell

Yep if you go don't sit like muppets as your club collapses and the atmosphere is like a library anyway.

I'm all for a bit more loyalty in football but not to the point where we got to with Pardew and now Schteeve. Bit of a contradiction to what happened with Hughton who was sacked for a lot less than any of those two clowns have made us endure.

Hughton was sacked for siding with the players in a bonus dispute. Football didn't even enter the equation, just as it never does with our managerial appointments and departures.

He was probably also very cheap to sack.

I don't think they'll bin him either, but I don't think it can be compared to pardew. I think they clung on to pardews early days here when results went well, something mcclaren hasn't had.

McClaren has spent the majority of the season in the bottom 3 after they've spent £80m.

And Moyes is free (!) and available right now, Moyes who Ashley has allegedly went for before. He'd be my guess if a move were to be made.

I very much doubt they'll sack him as Ashley seems to be very tolerant of shit managers, but if they did I reckon he'd appoint someone like Harry Redknapp until the end of the season just to try and get us to safety. I'm not sure many decent managers would touch us with 12 games to go in the bottom 3...or in general to be honest.

Redkanpp seems like the jobs for the boys type Ashley would go for - was it ever proven that he was offered the job in 2007/8 after Allardyce left and before Keegan was appointed?