Steve McClaren

Dave

@CaulkinTheTimes: Never say never, but people close to McClaren & at #NUFC say he burnt his bridges after turning them down.

Aye when they didn't anticipate him being available on a free. Charnley will get a massive pat on the head for getting someone in for nowt.

Will sit on the fence if it is McClaren, but I would be interested to see how it works out.

McClaren played quite attacking football with Derby/Twente, didn't he?

I'd rather take a punt on getting Moyes over from Spain.

Can't say I'm a fan of trying to bring in an unknown foreign manager based on the fact that they played attacking football in leagues of lower standards.

Who's advocating that?

I didn't say anybody was? I just said that my preferred choice would not be somebody who otherwise is unknown (ie, the links that have been to us/bookies betting; Garde, Galtier, Tuchel, Gourvennec).

And also with regards to other teams doing the same (Leeds this season, Watford (although successfully eventually).

Is Garde unknown?  and Tuchel just went to Dortmund.

I'd say so, how many times do you think Wikipedia was used when Garde was first linked to us?

And time will tell on how well Tuchel gets on at Dortmund.

Just because you personally hadn't heard of them doesn't make them unknowns.

I've heard of all of them, that is not what I was saying.

The difference between Koeman, as somebody else had mentioned (a long career in charge of big clubs) compared to Garde for example, 3 years in charge of Lyon.

Tuchel managed two very average German teams.

If fans moan about taking punts on players like Rivi etc. why is it different regarding managers?

Guest firetotheworks

Here lads, I think some of you should be 'careful what you wish for', yeah? Just a little tip for you all there.

Will sit on the fence if it is McClaren, but I would be interested to see how it works out.

McClaren played quite attacking football with Derby/Twente, didn't he?

I'd rather take a punt on getting Moyes over from Spain.

Can't say I'm a fan of trying to bring in an unknown foreign manager based on the fact that they played attacking football in leagues of lower standards.

Who's advocating that?

I didn't say anybody was? I just said that my preferred choice would not be somebody who otherwise is unknown (ie, the links that have been to us/bookies betting; Garde, Galtier, Tuchel, Gourvennec).

And also with regards to other teams doing the same (Leeds this season, Watford (although successfully eventually).

Is Garde unknown?  and Tuchel just went to Dortmund.

I'd say so, how many times do you think Wikipedia was used when Garde was first linked to us?

And time will tell on how well Tuchel gets on at Dortmund.

Just because you personally hadn't heard of them doesn't make them unknowns.

I've heard of all of them, that is not what I was saying.

The difference between Koeman, as somebody else had mentioned (a long career in charge of big clubs) compared to Garde for example, 3 years in charge of Lyon.

Tuchel managed two very average German teams.

If fans moan about taking punts on players like Rivi etc. why is it different regarding managers?

You take a punt on a promising manager in the hopes that you find the next Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho. It sure as hell beats the guaranteed mediocrity of hiring some retread like McClaren, where you know exactly what you'll get (which is nothing).

But useless trying to compare the likes of Garde, Galtier, Tuchel, etc., all of whom have had success as managers, with a guy who's scored double-digit league goals in a top flight division exactly once in his career.

He's bang average, which is w million miles ahead of what we've got now. No better than pardew, probably less nauseating but that would be the only plus side to what we had this time last year.

All this talk of him being a good coach, well same is said about carver.

Guest firetotheworks

Mcclaren or Bruce  :lol: :lol:

Dare to dream.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/dd4507e855fd8cab5b54d04e3bb405bc/tumblr_nkr8qtg0XA1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

I don't want McLaren, want JC even less mind.

McLaren is even smarmier than Pardew.

Errrr, no :lol:

I think after four years of McClaren he could well get on my tits as much as Pardew tbh.

No way. We're talking about fucking Pardew here.

McClaren's comments don't sound like those of a man with a job lined up. If he really did turn us down I can't see Ashley agreeing for him to be appointed now. Before this turned down episode I'd been told (from someone who knows and speaks to Carr) that McClaren was the only name in the frame other than Carver. Appointing McClaren now would look a bit of a joke despite being  "good value" now that he's been sacked.

The media will be waiting pens poised to pass comment on the new man given Ashley's pre match interview. He's got Season Tickets to sell, should be interesting to see if he gives a single shit given that he looks to have talked himself into a bit of a corner.

6 months ago it would have probably cost £8m-ish to go from Pardew to McClaren. Now we'll have made £3m from it.

We'll have lost money on not replacing Pardew and sinking like a lead balloon.

Sacked by Derby fucking County, yet good enough to be the man you see as being capable of "winning something" or getting us into the champions league. Really ??