Steve McClaren

Dave

Amen Brummie. Vieira would have been fascinating,but I'm cool with McClaren.

Just really looking forward to no more moaning and bitching about the players we sign, and benching them for a bunch of terrible terrible replacements, and just having no regard for the players the scouting team are bringing in.

i could actually see McClaren do well here. It's not impossible at all.

Just really looking forward to no more moaning and bitching about the players we sign, and benching them for a bunch of terrible terrible replacements, and just having no regard for the players the scouting team are bringing in.

I'd probably agree with this (assuming we won't actually bring in a top manager...). McClaren is not half as bad as most people on this forum seem to think he is, he's certainly better than Pardew.

I'd probably agree with this (assuming we won't actually bring in a top manager...). McClaren is not half as bad as most people on this forum seem to think he is, he's certainly better than Pardew.

My main issue with McClaren is that by all accounts he'd be another yes man.

We've accepted we're not going to get a genuinely brilliant manager (see the excitement at the prospect of bringing in a rookie), so we probably have to accept that we're getting a yes man too. That's NUFC in 2015 I'm afraid.

Not really though, because he actually has a previous relationship with the scouting team, and so that side of thigns will work so much better. It probably even has had an effect on the number of players we were able to get in, with Pardew's continuous whinging and complaining.

Secondly, McClaren is a legit coach and is coming in with an n=understanding of the structure and will therefore work to it.

I don't see him as a Pardew that claimed ot be cool with everything to snake his way in, and then start fucking about, and bitching, and dulling expectations. Pardew was a poisonous, evil human being. Can't underestimate how much his terrible mindset affected the whole club.

We've accepted we're not going to get a genuinely brilliant manager (see the excitement at the prospect of bringing in a rookie), so we probably have to accept that we're getting a yes man too. That's NUFC in 2015 I'm afraid.

We don't have to accept anything. Why's it so much to ask that the club show even a little bit of ambition? Hiring McClaren, though better than Carver and Pardew he may be, is yet another signal from the club that they're content with finishing somewhere from 8th-15th, not challenging for Europe, and half-assing our way through the cups.

I'll admit, I was fine with McClaren when his name was being bandied about after Pardew left. But I'm tired of settling. We might play better football under him, but there's not a chance in hell McClaren turns us into a competitive PL team. We're the new West Brom. I'm not sure how any Newcastle fan could deem that acceptable.

After years of predictably shit football I'd rather we appointed Vieira. I know he might be out of his depth but at least it will be exciting to see what happens, if it's McClaren we know what to expect.

I've lost a lot of interest in football the past few years so it would be nice to see something fresh.

I think many are being a bit unfair on McClaren's record at Derby. He had them playing good football, and they were desperately unlucky to lose out on promotion the season before last, dominating QPR in the play-off final, but ending up beaten by a single goal.

It's notoriously difficult to then re-motivate a team after that sort of disappointment, but he had them back at the top only to lose his two main strikers at a crucial point of the season, as I understand it. Their challenge then fell away.

The major problem I see with McClaren is that he wouldn't be a popular choice. The minute things go wrong, I can see SackMcClaren.com starting up, and pressure building on manager and players. Vieira, despite his inexperience, would be cut more slack.

Vieira represents an exciting gamble who could at least unite the club, which is what we badly need.

I will give Schteve a chance.

I hope he falls flat on his arse and is sacked after half a season having been found fondling the youth team.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac118/ROBsessedBlog2/gifs/Gifs%203/Ooookay.gif

I think many are being a bit unfair on McClaren's record at Derby. He had them playing good football, and they were desperately unlucky to lose out on promotion the season before last, dominating QPR in the play-off final, but ending up beaten by a single goal.

It's notoriously difficult to then re-motivate a team after that sort of disappointment, but he had them back at the top only to lose his two main strikers at a crucial point of the season, as I understand it. Their challenge then fell away.

The major problem I see with McClaren is that he wouldn't be a popular choice. The minute things go wrong, I can see SackMcClaren.com starting up, and pressure building on manager and players. Vieira, despite his inexperience, would be cut more slack.

Vieira represents an exciting gamble who could at least unite the club, which is what we badly need.

That disastrous spell at the end of the season was unlucky? Aye I guess Pards and Carver were also unlucky.

That disastrous spell at the end of the season was unlucky? Aye I guess Pards and Carver were also unlucky.

McClaren did get them to that position in the first place though...

I think people are being far too harsh on McClaren to be honest.

Where has this good football myth come from?

Just reading our list of managers in our lifetime is such a depressing read. Just some absolutely horrid appointments in there, Keegan and Sir Bob aside. Dalglish was a good manager at the wrong time and the rest were generally shit, even if some of them were fairly likeable (Hughton).

Why on Earth we'd expect them to break with convention now is beyond me. I can't remember the last time we found someone who was doing a very good job as manager somewhere then gave them the job. Is that so difficult? I honestly can't remember us doing that ever. How depressing is that?

From watching them.

From watching them.

Played such good football that they ultimately failed to get promoted in a league where they were joint top on March 7th.

He was criticised by fans and their local press for confusing team selection, a lack of a plan B and for failing to communicate his ideas.

I, for one, look forward to the day he's appointed and brings all of these shite traits with him.

From watching them.

They have played some decent football tbf. My next door neighbour is a Derby fan so I've watched them a fair bit. They were top scorers in the league last season for example.

From watching them.

They have played some decent football tbf. My next door neighbour is a Derby fan so I've watched them a fair bit. They were top scorers in the league last season for example.

I've never seen them play good football in the times I've watched them on TV.

I've also never seen a SMc side play attacking, good quality football over any sustained period.

He'd be such a fucking sapping appointment imho.

Don't get me wrong, he would be nowhere near my first choice either, but when you look at him in the context of the likes of Pardew, Carver and Kinnear that this regime have previously presented us with then he's a definite step up.