Steve McClaren

Dave

Let's stop accepting mediocrity because it's slightly less bad than the s*** we were fed before.

We are one of the biggest clubs in england.  We've won four championships and six FA cups.  We are in the top twenty richest clubs in Europe.  We've played in europe and beaten the likes of Barcelona and won a trophy doing it.  We are one of the best supported clubs in the country averaging 50k a game which is only limited by the size of the stadium and the owner.  We challenged for the title, we challenged for cups, we terrorised and entertained europe.

This coma is not what NUFC is, we have to demand better.

:clap:

I know we've all been joking about 'it's going to be Carver', but I never actually thought it was actually going to be Carver. Unreal.

The resignation and disappointment at the idea of McClaren is slowly being replaced by the horror of them actually giving the job to Carver.

I know we've all been joking about 'it's going to be Carver', but I never actually thought it was actually going to be Carver. Unreal.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that JC was the plan until the Leicester loss, when it finally dawned on Ashley and Charnley that he might relegate the club. I think even now there is a decent chance they might risk it in the end, especially as other potential candidates turn them and their ridiculous terms down.

Equally there was never much doubt in my mind that Carver was given the job more in the hope he could do it rather than any real belief that he could. Even when Uncle Bingo posted the ITK stuff about Carver getting the job the next morning at 10 am I knew it was bollocks. It just never made any sense no matter how many correct team sheets this ITK leaked on Skunkers.

Think I'm going to accept it if its him and not Carver. At least  I can look forward to the season with some curiosity. Hoping Carr and McClaren can work together to get good players in and playing well, unlike the Carr-Pardew relationship.

Better start treating the manager search like transfers - just don't follow the news and come back in August to see who's here.

I think we'll know by next week when McClaren comes back from holiday.

@Kazuki

The 19th richest club in the world with a global fanbase and a 1 city club that brings over 50,000 fans through the gates each week should realistically expect to be challenging the top 6 every season, they should realistically expect to appoint a credible manager with a proven track record to take the club forward, not just stagnate in the same miserable position year after year. They should be expected to sign a decent calibre of players to take the football club forward for a decent price and pay them realistic wages considering the amount of money they make commercially (60m TV money + sponsors merchandise + gate reciepts etc) which is rising year-on-year. They should be able to challenge for trophies such as the FA Cup and Carling Cup where teams far below us in terms of finances, club size and standard of players have succeeded in either winning the cups or making it to the final in recent years.

Realistically, THAT is what we should expect. Under Ashley it will never happen. There is a huge line between what is realistic and what Ashley wants to make us think is realistic.

Call it accepting Ashley, or accuse me of having lowered expectations

Yep, you're a scab.

:lol: alright man

You laugh, but "scab" is the perfect expression. You're lucky it wasn't "fucking scab"...

Is it really?

So have you not attended a match since Ashley took charge? Under Pardew? Carver? But I'm a scab because I'm not suicidal at the thought of McClaren managing us. I think it's worth a little chuckle to be honest.

There is precisely zero funny about the whole situation.

Accepting, on any level, decisions made by Ashley that further the mediocrity of his reign is implicit support of the regime. Even worse than that, they don't even have ambitions to be mediocre; the evidence is that 17th is acceptable, and first-match exits from cups is preferable.

So yes, comments like "but McClaren is the best we could expect in our current situation" are the words of a scab, because you're saying it is acceptable. McClaren's appointment perpetuates Ashley's reign, precisely because he will provide us with the Ashley dream of 12th-17th place finishes.

What we need is for every prospective candidate to say "No". Every single one. And when they leave Carver in charge, and we go into free fall until they eventually have to sack Carver, and then every prospective candidate needs to say "No" again. Because the only way Ashley will go is if no one accepts his terms.

The same goes for players. Sure, money talks, but when players start saying "No", and we fill our teams with dregs and kids who haven't had the stars kicked out of their eyes, then we might see some movement.

"Call it accepting Ashley, or accuse me of having lowered expectations - it's the only way I'll get any joy out of football in the forseeable future", says you. Congratulations on putting your pleasure ahead of the club's pain, mate, because that's exactly how Ashley wins.

I wasn't laughing at our situation at all, I was laughing at being called a scab because I have a higher opinion of McClaren than most on here.

Out of interest, if we'd got Vieira I wonder how many people on here would be classed as 'scabs' for supporting the appointment, because there was some level of excitement when that was a possibility.

The resignation and disappointment at the idea of McClaren is slowly being replaced by the horror of them actually giving the job to Carver.

In many ways I would actually prefer it to be Carver. Guaranteed unmitigated disaster. Would plunge us immediately into a relegation fight, the hand sitters at SJP, even they would be up in arms, crowds will plummet. Ashley and Co. would be even more vilified. With McClaren it will be more of the same, picking up our "participated" ribbons, with the only excitement being the potential of a relegation fight. The hand sitters will join with the "at least it's not carver" crowd to be placated and all is well in the world of of "Sports Direct United, presented by Wonga ".

Is there a reason why we're worried it's Carver again? Has somebody said something?

The window licker has inferred we haven't contacted McClaren and stand to speak to Carver again.

Oh right, that does seem bad :(

Better start treating the manager search like transfers - just don't follow the news and come back in August to see who's here.

If he wants the job he should be told to interrupt his holiday. Really the guy turns you down twice then won't break his holiday to speak to you. FFS NUFC show a little bit of self respect.

Is there a reason why we're worried it's Carver again? Has somebody said something?

The window licker has inferred we haven't contacted McClaren and stand to speak to Carver again.

What the hell are they going to ask him?

What the hell are they going to ask him?

They  said to "clarify his position".  TBH the right thing to do here was to talk to Carver first tell him where he stands, he's the incumbent and should have that right. However they should have done this the day after the last game of the season, and sacked his arse, instead of wasting precious time.

If he wants the job he should be told to interrupt his holiday. Really the guy turns you down twice then won't break his holiday to speak to you. FFS NUFC show a little bit of self respect.

We've been talking to his people for months man it's more than likely he's already been given the green light. "It's okay Steve, enjoy your holiday, we can do the paperwork when you get back."

The only chance we weren't going to give him the job was when he tried to stay at Derby, I did think Ashley's ego would have trouble with that, but he's leaving all that to Charnley so I don't see any other outcome than him getting the job.

Guest firetotheworks

Edwards reckons carver and stone will be told today who new manager is

"John, congratulations, you've got the job...can you pass the phone to Steve?

..Steve, we've given it to John"

I put it in who would u go for thread. No harm putting it here too

@LukeEdwardsTele: Been told Carver & Stone will be told today who knew manager is and whether he wants to keep them . Far from certain they will stay #nufc

I put it in who would u go for thread. No harm putting it here too

@LukeEdwardsTele: Been told Carver & Stone will be told today who knew manager is and whether he wants to keep them . Far from certain they will stay #nufc

Didn't he say McLaren hasn't been interviewed yet? Interesting.