Capello confirmed as new England manager

kirkwdavis2001
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Have to say I disagree with this.

Your view is a popular one however but in my opinion we produce World Class and technically gifted players that rival the top football nations in the World.

The popular view that our country's national team are technically unable to compete at the highest level is such utter nonsense our country's grassroots has produced fantastically technically gifted players for our current National team such as Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Gerrard and others who are amongst the Worlds Best in there position such as John Terry and Rio Ferdinand.

Our country's grassroots has given our current National team great players what our country needs is a great manager who will turn our great players that our grassroots has produced into a great team.

On Fabio Capello he has a impressive history of consistently turning teams with great players into great teams in a short space of time he is a designer of great systems that suit the great players and manages them to win major trophies his CV is amongst the best managers in the World and with that he is without doubt considering this country's lack of current World Class English managers the right choice by the FA to get our country's great national team players and turning them into a great team.

So how else do you explain 40 odd years of abject failure? We can't keep blaming the manager, dodgy refs, cheating bastards and blasted pens. For 40 odd years we have struggled to compete at international level, as individuals and as a team. The results speak for themselves. Time and time again our players fail to transfer any kind of club form to the international scene with the exception of a few while as a team we've never really looked the part.

How come even sub standard Italian for example players not even considered in the top 3 in their position within their own league can easily adapt to international football while our own "world-class technically gifted players" you speak of such as Frank Lampard and co struggle?

Could it be that technically and tactically they are ill equipped to master that level given their education and the culture of our game that sees kids as young as 6 forced to play in a position chosen for them by an adult in a setup that has coaches and parents screaming out instructions such as "get rid of it", "down the line", "not there (dribbling/tricks in their own half)", a setup that puts winning ahead of fun and development. A set up that has kids as young as 6 playing on huge pitches and kids as young as 11 playing 11-a-side with off-sides. I could go on.

And that's just mini-soccer...

What about the overall culture of our game? A culture that places pace, strength and athleticism higher than skill and technical ability. A culture that builds them up and knocks them down. A culture that turns 17 year old kids with a smudging of talent into millionaires.

Then there is our leagues. The Premiership is the complete opposite of international football. It's quick, direct and physically demanding.

International football however is about technique and tactics.

Oh, we have talented players alright and this will always be the case, but the environment and culture of football in this country traps it.

And Capello won't free it.

Our woes stretch far deeper than the dugout and stem all the way back to grassroots football. If things don't change at that level we will never compete at international level on a consistent basis, something we've never really been able to do anyway.

And no wonder...

I think Capello will be a great choice.Its fucking riduclous saying has to be an english manager!What english manager is good enough?Capello has done wonders no matter where hes went!Dont understand why people reckon he wont do well!Its the first time in a long while that you have a gotten a proven world class manager and people are still moaning!

His imminent appointment as coach is viewed by the inhabitants of the village where he grew up with mixed emotions. "Those who don't follow football are proud and happy," said the town's young mayor, Silvia Caruso. "But all the others are worried. An England able to beat Italy is not a happy prospect."

:laugh:

So how else do you explain 40 odd years of abject failure? We can't keep blaming the manager, dodgy refs, cheating bastards and blasted pens. For 40 odd years we have struggled to compete at international level, as individuals and as a team. The results speak for themselves. Time and time again our players fail to transfer any kind of club form to the international scene with the exception of a few while as a team we've never really looked the part.

How come even sub standard Italian for example players not even considered in the top 3 in their position within their own league can easily adapt to international football while our own "world-class technically gifted players" you speak of such as Frank Lampard and co struggle?

Could it be that technically and tactically they are ill equipped to master that level given their education and the culture of our game that sees kids as young as 6 forced to play in a position chosen for them by an adult in a setup that has coaches and parents screaming out instructions such as "get rid of it", "down the line", "not there (dribbling/tricks in their own half)", a setup that puts winning ahead of fun and development. A set up that has kids as young as 6 playing on huge pitches and kids as young as 11 playing 11-a-side with off-sides. I could go on.

And that's just mini-soccer...

What about the overall culture of our game? A culture that places pace, strength and athleticism higher than skill and technical ability. A culture that builds them up and knocks them down. A culture that turns 17 year old kids with a smudging of talent into millionaires.

Then there is our leagues. The Premiership is the complete opposite of international football. It's quick, direct and physically demanding.

International football however is about technique and tactics.

Oh, we have talented players alright and this will always be the case, but the environment and culture of football in this country traps it.

And Capello won't free it.

Our woes stretch far deeper than the dugout and stem all the way back to grassroots football. If things don't change at that level we will never compete at international level on a consistent basis, something we've never really been able to do anyway.

And no wonder...

You're spot-on about the failings of grass-roots football in England, but that's not the answer to this problem. (Well, it does explains why English managers are shit.)

I mean, it's not just England, is it? Spain is in exactly the same boat--continual underachievement relative to the quality of their players, and the international vs Premiership football argument doesn't hold water with them. Not to mention the fact that most of England's best players regularly feature in the late stages of the CL, so they're hardly incapable of playing continental-style football. Nor are they the skill-less cloggers that Rangers sent out to play Lyon.

Firstly, there's always huge pressure and unrealistic expectations placed on the team. We've not had the world's best side in those 40 years, and we've often been nowhere near the top, but we've never let a thing like reality get in the way of our expectations of the side. You can see the pressure bearing down on England's players' shoulders like it never does when they play much bigger games for their clubs.

Even now, with our best group of players in possibly decades, we still don't have the quality that the top sides have, but a truly world-class, top-notch manager CAN make that difference. We've seen the same group of players reach the WC  quarters under a decent manager and fail miserably to qualify for the Euros under a clueless one. Newcastle fans, who watched Souness destroy everything SBR had built up, must know that better than almost anyone.

If Capello proves as good at international management as he is at club-level management, he'll make England a side to be reckoned with. They still won't win the WC, I'm sure, but England will be a lot more formidable than they have been in many moons with Capello in charge.

CAPELLO 'INJURED' WHILE SIGNING CONTRACT

NEW England manager Fabio Capello fell to the ground clutching his face while signing his contract today, claiming he was attacked by FA chief executive Brian Barwick.

Capello had just stood up after adding his signature to the £6.5 million a year deal when the FA boss lunged at him with his hands outstretched, witnesses said.

The chief executive grabbed Capello by his right hand and started shaking it vigorously at which point the Italian fell to the ground, writhing in agony, later claiming Barwick had punched him repeatedly in the face.

Luca Tomi, chief reporter with Italy’s Gazetto dello Sport, said Capello spent 20 minutes writhing on the floor after the assault, which he described as ‘sickening’.

Football pundit Alan Hansen said Capello had made the most of the incident but that Barwick had shown ‘incredible naivety’ in manhandling the Italian in such a key area.

He said: “There was no need to touch him. Capello was going nowhere and all he had to do was steer him towards the drinks cabinet and the danger’s over.”

Meanwhile it has emerged that Capello is to add the former Juventus striker Marco Battuto to his growing backroom staff as diving coach.

Capello thinks that many of his new England stars are accomplished cheaters in the Premier League but seem unable to con referees at international level.

Battuto said: “Look at Gerrard - he is probably the finest diver in England today but did you see him go down against Andorra? My daughter is more convincing cheat, and she is two.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/capello-'injured'-while-signing-contract-20071216601/

:lol:

Guest Ridzuan
:iamatwat: They must be joking right? If not,Mr Barwick must have been caught by the authorities by now.I wonder if Capello is having other ideas about signing that contract now.

Not holding it against Capello, but that press conference was an absolute mess, from Barwick shouting at everyone at the beginning, the press asking some rude, unanswerable questions, the translator mis-translating, the translator interrupting Capello, Brooking only speaking to deny saying something mentioned in a question to Capello, and Capello generally understanding more than what he was letting on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/17/sfneng117.xml

FA ask Fabio Capello to develop Stuart Pearce

By Henry Winter

Last Updated: 2:52am GMT 17/12/2007

The Football Association want Fabio Capello to develop Stuart Pearce as a future England head coach. Pearce is rebuilding his reputation with the Under-21s following an unsuccessful stint at Manchester City, and the FA believe the former England defender will learn from contact with Capello.

The Italian arrives in London today for his official unveiling as England's latest manager and the FA are determined to exploit his deep knowledge of the art and science of coaching.

Publicly, the FA insist there is a range of English names in the frame to work under Capello, and Alan Shearer, David Platt, Tony Adams and Aidy Boothroyd have all been mentioned, but it is understood that Pearce is the man the FA most want to see picking up tips from such a serial collector of silverware on the continent.

Capello, however, has already named a four-man backroom coaching staff plucked from Tuscany and Lombardy, and Pearce has indicated he wants to focus on the Under-21s. The FA still believe Pearce can be incorporated into Capello's "structure".

"I spoke to Fabio about it, the options and he is very relaxed about it," said Sir Trevor Brooking, the FA's director of football development, talking generally about potential English candidates yesterday.

"Fabio has a structure and we did not want to just do it for the sake of doing it. Somebody like Stuart, who has done really well in the last few months in qualifying with the Under-21s, will be very much part of the discussion to see how best to move this forwards.

"Stuart has been doing an excellent job with the Under-21s and the experience of managing the team, with tournament football, is really important. What happened late on during Steve McClaren's reign is Stuart used to come along on the day of the game with the seniors, just to look in and see what happens there.

"How you evolve what the structure is remains to be seen. You can parachute somebody in, but what is their role going to be? You don't want to put somebody in that position unless they feel comfortable and part of it."

If Pearce does work under Capello, in however limited a capacity, Soho Square clearly envisage the process as preparing him to be the main contender to succeed the Italian. "There are one or two coaches in the Premier League who could do it, but they are not necessarily the people who are going to take over in the top role," Brooking told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek.

"We have to use this platform to suck out all the knowledge we can from Fabio for however long he is with us - but never get in the position again with our coaches where we have not got 100 per cent belief that we have not got choices internally.

"We are going to try and discuss, to have an arrangement in place for early February [when England play Switzerland at Wembley]. Let's see what will be best for the English coaching structure. Fabio has been very relaxed and very open. Are there going to be opportunities when coaches can come and observe what happens when England get together? This is not a closed shop where we are not going to also consult with one or two coaches whom we think could have a big input."

Brooking added that during last Thursday's discussion with Capello at Wembley, the Italian stressed he would not be swayed by a player's reputation. "Fabio has made it clear he has not already identified who should be in the starting side," said Brooking. "He told us he can't understand why some of the players have been playing nowhere near their best level.

"Fabio wants to get to know them as soon as possible but he said that nobody is guaranteed a place in the side. They have to show they are able to play at the top level for their country but for six months he wants to try and look at people around the country."

:jesuswept:

Capello out. FA out. Someone out! How can such a thing be contemplated. Almost a complete full circle to how McClaren got the job. Only with an even more hopeless cheap little englander in waiting. :weep:

What has Pearce shown besides psychotic anger to indicate that he's the next great English coach?

Also, I thought this had some funny bits in it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7147960.stm

"McClaren had so little authority over his players that they reportedly rugby-tackled him in training."  I've never heard that one before, but it seems likely enough.  Anyone know if it was confirmed?

Personally, I think England is over-rated. Also, the more the expectations, the heavier the fall will be.

While it is true that some English teams have reached the upper echelon of the Champion's League but look at the nationality of the managers and key performers of the team. Are the bulk of them English? I'm afraid not.

If England wants to groom a successful manager, time and opportunity is needed. An alternative route is to buy instant success, which is what they are doing now. I don't see anything wrong because it is a practical thing to do in today's world. However, it is kind of a joke that a big and advanced country like UK, supposedly with the right optimum condition/environment, better than most other countries (i.e. Brazil, Portugal, Italy) , cannot even muster a single Englishman capable enough to perform that role. I will say it's a tad embarrassing. My question is, What happened?

I'm just voicing my thoughts out frankly.

Regards.

Guest Ridzuan

What has Pearce shown besides psychotic anger to indicate that he's the next great English coach?

Maybe its for the fact that he has done well with the Under 21 team which I have to say I am impressed with looking at how terrible he was being the manager of Manchester City.Who knows,he had a change of fortune and he is the one Englishmen that the FA has been looking for so long.

Personally, I think England is over-rated. Also, the more the expectations, the heavier the fall will be.

While it is true that some English teams have reached the upper echelon of the Champion's League but look at the nationality of the managers and key performers of the team. Are the bulk of them English? I'm afraid not.

If England wants to groom a successful manager, time and opportunity is needed. An alternative route is to buy instant success, which is what they are doing now. I don't see anything wrong because it is a practical thing to do in today's world. However, it is kind of a joke that a big and advanced country like UK, supposedly with the right optimum condition/environment, better than most other countries (i.e. Brazil, Portugal, Italy) , cannot even muster a single Englishman capable enough to perform that role. I will say it's a tad embarrassing. My question is, What happened?

I'm just voicing my thoughts out frankly.

Regards.

What happened ? We let the Lunatics run the asylum(i.e. a collection of former players who didn't have the proper background or education started coaching ability out of English players, esp when they were young...)we have never recovered since as it has become cheaper(AND easier) to buy ready-made articles from abroad.

Also, English schools try to coach 'equality' into youngsters, so it has become politically incorrect to want to win or better yourself AND English kids spend too much time on computers instead of playing footie..

Parents don't want them getting hurt, or out by themselves..!!!