Capello confirmed as new England manager

kirkwdavis2001
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufc_geordie

Just been announced on BBC that after an FA board meeting this afternoon Capello will be announced as new England gaffer. Personally would have preferred Harry Redknapp and an all English approach. Capello strikes me as another Sven appointment but only time will tell!

Capello to become England manager 

Fabio Capello will be appointed as the next manager of England later on Thursday, BBC Sport can reveal.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the 61-year-old Italian has been offered a four-year deal worth £4m a year.

The former AC Milan coach's appointment will be ratified by the Football Association following a conference call involving board members at lunchtime.

Capello, who has also coached Juventus, Roma and Real Madrid succeeds Steve McClaren, who was sacked in November.

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was the initial favourite to take over, but he ruled himself out of the running and the FA quickly turned its attentions to Capello.

The Italian expressed his interest in the job just days after McClaren's departure.

He eventually met for discussions with FA chief executive Brian Barwick and director of football Sir Trevor Brooking in London on Wednesday.

Those talks were described as "extremely positive" by FA director of communications Adrian Bevington.

McClaren paid the price for England's failure to reach next year's European Championships.

If the FA had appointed Harry Redknapp ahead of Fabio Capello then they would have deserved to never ever qualify for another major tournament ever again ever.

Redknapp has achieved nothing.  He wouldn't be able to bribe agents into persuading players to play for England either.

Capello is a class act.

The two shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Guest nufc_geordie

That's your opinion mate. Mine is that the England job should be kept in house. I will not stop supporting England because of his appointment, he will get my backing now, but all i'm saying is that it is not the way I would have went.

That's your opinion mate. Mine is that the England job should be kept in house. I will not stop supporting England because of his appointment, he will get my backing now, but all i'm saying is that it is not the way I would have went.

That's fair enough but I just don't think principles are a luxury that England can afford right now, especially seeing as they've already had a foreign manager.

Personally, I think the whole McLaren carry on proves that a manager should be appointed based on his ability as a manager rather than his nationality.

God I would have hated Harry 'Crimewatch' Redknapp taking charge, could you imagine his interviews after the match.

Well Lampsy and JT and Becksy all did gweat for me yea! Lets av a knees up down the queen vic!

FUCKING ANNOYING NONSE

How people can complain about getting a brilliant manager like Capello is beyond me, id give anything to have a manager of that quality at Ireland.

PS: how many people wish we could have had this thread title for NUFC in the past :(

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2226020,00.html

1 He is a winner

Wherever he has gone as a manager Fabio Capello has won trophies. Through 16 seasons at Milan, Real Madrid, Roma and Juventus he has accrued nine domestic titles - albeit that the 2004-05 and 2005-06 Scudettos he won with Juventus have since been revoked in the fallout from the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal - and a Champions League. That said, his record in knockout competition is not great. Aside from that 1994 European Cup triumph with Milan his only cup wins have come in that year's Uefa Super Cup and the Italian Super Cup (equivalent to the Community Shield).

2 He does not take friendlies lightly

Do not expect to see Capello sending on Franny Jeffers the next time Australia come to town. During Milan's money-spinning tour of China at the end of the 1996 season he deployed a three-striker formation in a friendly against a China XI, but then pulled Paolo Di Canio for a midfielder at half-time to protect a 1-0 lead. When Di Canio asked why he cared so much about the result of a friendly, Capello shot back with a barrage of expletives and added: "Your face looks like a penis." Di Canio never played for Milan again.

3 He knows how to win at Wembley

Back in his less feted playing days, Capello was a rather handy midfielder, winning the Italian title three times with Juventus and once with Milan. His own personal highlight, however, came against England at Wembley on November 14 1973, during one of 32 appearances for Italy. "The best moment of my career," he says of the 85th-minute strike with which he secured a 1-0 victory for Italy, their first ever away win against England.

4 Before he was a manager he was ... a manager

When his playing career came to an end, Capello did not slide seamlessly into the first vacant Serie A hotseat. In fact, although he began working with Milan's youth team almost immediately and was given a six-game stint at the end of the 1986-87 season, he landed the Rossoneri job long-term only in 1991 - having retired from playing in 1980 - after he had impressed Silvio Berlusconi with his work in a series of managerial roles for the Fininvest business empire.

5 He is a bit of an art buff

"In my house there are no pictures of me with trophies or cups," Capello has said. "Those sorts of things are closed away inside boxes." Easy to say when you have a £10m private art collection.

6 He is not as boring as some people think

The former Italy manager Arrigo Sacchi once said, "for Capello, football is all about winning. He does not see beauty in the game", but though many Real Madrid fans might agree, Capello is no committed dullard. It was he who brought Gabriel Batistuta to Roma and adjusted his favoured 4-4-2 into a 3-4-1-2 to ensure Batistuta, Francesco Totti and Vincenzo Montella could play together - even if not in every game. Much like Jose Mourinho, Capello sees winning as the first priority, but is not adverse to doing so attractively.

7 He will not bow to the big names

There's only ever been room for one ego in Capello's squads, and that's his. A man who has dropped and fallen out with Totti, Alessandro Del Piero and Edgar Davids is hardly likely to be lose his nerve at the prospect of a Gary Neville-led uprising. Sick of perceived laziness from Ronaldo at Real Madrid he resorted to asking him "Aren't you ashamed of being so fat?" in front of his team-mates as he left the showers. The striker was sold to Milan the next month.

8 You might not want to boo him

Capello's temper is notorious. "People say I'm impatient when it comes to football and they're right," said a man who has made abusive gestures at fans more than once, most recently in Real Madrid's 1-0 win over Real Zaragoza in January. "Why should I waste my time listening to people who are clearly less intelligent than me?"

9 He does not dwell on his mistakes

Capello may have backed down last season on his claim that David Beckham would never play for Real Madrid again but he's not generally one for excessive reflection. "I never watch matches I played in or coached," he has claimed. "I only look ahead."

10 His image rights are probably worth more than Steve Bruce's

Those natty specs don't just look good - they're a tidy little earner for Capello, who is sponsored by Zeroh+. According to the Zeroh+ website, they "match the style and infinite attention to detail plus the drive and sporting vitality that epitomises him in every aspect of his life". Right.

:lol:

"Why should I waste my time listening to people who are clearly less intelligent than me?"

Hopefully that means he wont pay any attention to the media then. He'll love our hooligan element too.

Who could argue with the man's appointment though, he clearly wants the job and his record is phenomenal.

Fascism is in vogue

Don't just stand there, let's get to it, strike a pose, there's nothing to it:

http://www.old-picture.com/american-history-1900-1930s/pictures/Mussolini.jpg

Fascism is in vogue

Don't just stand there, let's get to it, strike a pose, there's nothing to it:

http://www.old-picture.com/american-history-1900-1930s/pictures/Mussolini.jpg

Can't wait for Alex's IT Guys at work to do an audit trail on him, first word that comes up, "fascism."  bluelaugh.gif

Guest Gemmill

Personally would have preferred Harry Redknapp and an all English approach.

:lol: Are you one of those people that writes letters to the Sunday Sun and texts in to the Chronicle? :razz: