Arsenal Pre-Match Thread

Kev

All seems okayish it appears :thup:

We really do have to get rid of some of the players who are being disruptive though.

Sam Allardyce faces revolt in the ranks

George Caulkin

Sam Allardyce has conceded that he is “under the cosh” at Newcastle United, a scenario that applies to the dressing-room as much as the boardroom at St James’ Park. While reports that the manager could be sacked after tomorrow night’s home match against Arsenal can be discounted, he is apparently still to persuade his squad that his scientific methods will bring success to Tyneside.

A delegation of three senior players approached Allardyce after Newcastle’s 3-0 defeat by Liverpool ten days ago, when concerns were expressed about recent developments. Shay Given, the goalkeeper, was one � Allardyce denied that Michael Owen was another � and there has been further disquiet at plans for the team to spend a significant part of the festive period away from their families.

Allardyce dismissed any suggestion of a confrontation or dispute, describing the discussions as routine rather than dramatic. “Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff that I do because they are players and I’m the manager,” he said.

“I know what’s right for them and I know it more than they do. Today’s politically correct society believes it’s a disruption, but it’s an everyday occurrence as a manager.”

The club’s coaching staff is considering whether to head south rather than north after Newcastle’s Barclays Premier League match away to Wigan Athletic on Boxing Day before their fixture against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge three days later, a prospect � as yet unconfirmed � that has caused murmurs of discontent. Allardyce’s task is to convince his squad, which contains big names and personalities, that the sacrifice will be beneficial.

“When you start putting the right way forward, some of your players don’t like it, but it’s for the benefit of the team, not for one or two individuals,” Allardyce said. “Some of it sneaks in the papers and whoever did it might think it’s making a point, but it will only make me more resilient and stronger. You have to not be distracted by that and keep doing what’s right.

“It’s like players wouldn’t know what to eat or drink after games unless you told them. Once you tell them and persist, then all of a sudden they find out it is the right thing to do.

“People don’t like it when they are taken out of their comfort zone, so you have to give them the right information and tell them it’s going to make them better players.”

It would be irrelevant if Allardyce had lost the support of Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner, but the men shared a bullish and good-humoured conversation at Ewood Park after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat by Blackburn Rovers. After hosting Arsenal, Newcastle face matches against Birmingham City (home), Fulham (away), Derby County (home) and Wigan (away), a sequence that could prove pivotal to Allardyce’s position.

Having taken only one point from the past five matches, the pressure is tangible. “I saw Mike after the game on Saturday, shook hands and had a good chat with him,” Allardyce said. “I hope that shows the strength of the relationship we’ve got. But there’s no point beating about the bush � yes, I’m under the cosh; yes, I’ve got to get results sooner rather than later and, yes, we’re having a bad time in terms of results. But it can be turned around as quickly as it’s gone bad.”

Alan Shearer, who is much admired by Ashley and Chris Mort, the chairman, as well as idolised by Newcastle supporters, would be the obvious candidate to succeed Allardyce. “I know Alan well and he’s always said that he’s not ready,” Allardyce said. “But I don’t see it as a burden. If Alan decides to take my job, I hope it’ll be when I’ve decided to leave because I’ve made the club successful.”

Allardyce, who is still at the stage of “identifying” possible targets for the transfer window, does not appear weighed down by stress. “I feel very well,” he said. “I don’t feel good because the burden lies on me more than anyone else, but I’m old enough and wise enough not to reflect that in everyday life. I know what’s right to consistently get positive results. That won’t happen by me walking around looking miserable or screaming and shouting.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article2994786.ece

All seems okayish it appears :thup:

We really do have to get rid of some of the players who are being disruptive though.

Sam Allardyce faces revolt in the ranks

George Caulkin

Sam Allardyce has conceded that he is “under the cosh” at Newcastle United, a scenario that applies to the dressing-room as much as the boardroom at St James’ Park. While reports that the manager could be sacked after tomorrow night’s home match against Arsenal can be discounted, he is apparently still to persuade his squad that his scientific methods will bring success to Tyneside.

A delegation of three senior players approached Allardyce after Newcastle’s 3-0 defeat by Liverpool ten days ago, when concerns were expressed about recent developments. Shay Given, the goalkeeper, was one � Allardyce denied that Michael Owen was another � and there has been further disquiet at plans for the team to spend a significant part of the festive period away from their families.

Allardyce dismissed any suggestion of a confrontation or dispute, describing the discussions as routine rather than dramatic. “Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff that I do because they are players and I’m the manager,” he said.

“I know what’s right for them and I know it more than they do. Today’s politically correct society believes it’s a disruption, but it’s an everyday occurrence as a manager.”

The club’s coaching staff is considering whether to head south rather than north after Newcastle’s Barclays Premier League match away to Wigan Athletic on Boxing Day before their fixture against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge three days later, a prospect � as yet unconfirmed � that has caused murmurs of discontent. Allardyce’s task is to convince his squad, which contains big names and personalities, that the sacrifice will be beneficial.

“When you start putting the right way forward, some of your players don’t like it, but it’s for the benefit of the team, not for one or two individuals,” Allardyce said. “Some of it sneaks in the papers and whoever did it might think it’s making a point, but it will only make me more resilient and stronger. You have to not be distracted by that and keep doing what’s right.

“It’s like players wouldn’t know what to eat or drink after games unless you told them. Once you tell them and persist, then all of a sudden they find out it is the right thing to do.

“People don’t like it when they are taken out of their comfort zone, so you have to give them the right information and tell them it’s going to make them better players.”

It would be irrelevant if Allardyce had lost the support of Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner, but the men shared a bullish and good-humoured conversation at Ewood Park after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat by Blackburn Rovers. After hosting Arsenal, Newcastle face matches against Birmingham City (home), Fulham (away), Derby County (home) and Wigan (away), a sequence that could prove pivotal to Allardyce’s position.

Having taken only one point from the past five matches, the pressure is tangible. “I saw Mike after the game on Saturday, shook hands and had a good chat with him,” Allardyce said. “I hope that shows the strength of the relationship we’ve got. But there’s no point beating about the bush � yes, I’m under the cosh; yes, I’ve got to get results sooner rather than later and, yes, we’re having a bad time in terms of results. But it can be turned around as quickly as it’s gone bad.”

Alan Shearer, who is much admired by Ashley and Chris Mort, the chairman, as well as idolised by Newcastle supporters, would be the obvious candidate to succeed Allardyce. “I know Alan well and he’s always said that he’s not ready,” Allardyce said. “But I don’t see it as a burden. If Alan decides to take my job, I hope it’ll be when I’ve decided to leave because I’ve made the club successful.”

Allardyce, who is still at the stage of “identifying” possible targets for the transfer window, does not appear weighed down by stress. “I feel very well,” he said. “I don’t feel good because the burden lies on me more than anyone else, but I’m old enough and wise enough not to reflect that in everyday life. I know what’s right to consistently get positive results. That won’t happen by me walking around looking miserable or screaming and shouting.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article2994786.ece

the players may find themselves on the receiving end of some flak IF this is true. get together and confront the manager over 3 days away from the family at christmas but say sod all about the abysmal formations and tactics.

Guest stonecold

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=484924&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Hleb+and+Flamini+join+Cesc+and+Co+on+the+injured+list

Hleb and Flamini join Cesc and Co on the injured list

Alex Hleb and Mathieu Flamini have been ruled out of the trip to Newcastle on Wednesday.

The Arsenal squad left for Tyneside on Tuesday without FOUR international midfielders. Cesc Fabregas and Abou Diaby missed the 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Saturday with hamstring and back injuries respectively. They will not be returning at St James’ Park.

And during that morale-boosting victory in Birmingham, Hleb collected an Achilles/hamstring problem while Flamini fell victim to a recurrence of his thigh injury. Arsène Wenger will bolster his midfield by adding Denilson to his squad. He also has options in Lassana Diarra and Gilberto. However striker Robin Van Persie (knee) is still a couple of weeks away from a return.

“We have lost Alex Hleb and Mathieu Flamini from Saturday at Villa,” Wenger told Arsenal TV Online on Tuesday afternoon. “We have no-one back so that's Diaby, Van Persie, Hleb, Flamini and Fabregas out for this game.

“At one stage we thought it was congested in midfield but now it looks bare,” he joked. “But we still have quality players coming in there. We have Gilberto while Denilson is back after an injury. He is travelling with us. So we are very confident that we are still strong in the midfield.”

Hleb and Fabregas are unlikely to be back for Arsenal’s return to the North-East on Sunday at Middlesbrough however there is more optimism over the chances of Flamini playing at the Riverside Stadium

All I can say is bollocks, four of our best players this season have been - Fabregas, Hleb, van Persie and Flamini. They are ALL out of tomorrow nights game.  :weep:

Tickets for these two games (Arsenal and Birmingham) can be purchased for £20 each for members of Newcastle and Northumbria University, according to posters round uni today.

Good to see the club getting involved at uni level.

Tickets for these two games (Arsenal and Birmingham) can be purchased for £20 each for members of Newcastle and Northumbria University, according to posters round uni today.

thats a good shout like

That's a good price and nice initiative.

There's enough arseholes go without encouraging students too ;) Canny idea though. Lots of grads stay in the area. The soopafans will be up in arms like. Which makes it even better.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=484924&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Hleb+and+Flamini+join+Cesc+and+Co+on+the+injured+list

Alex Hleb and Mathieu Flamini have been ruled out of the trip to Newcastle on Wednesday.

The Arsenal squad left for Tyneside on Tuesday without FOUR international midfielders. Cesc Fabregas and Abou Diaby missed the 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Saturday with hamstring and back injuries respectively. They will not be returning at St James Park.

All I can say is bollocks, four of our best players this season have been - Fabregas, Hleb, van Persie and Flamini. They are ALL out of tomorrow nights game.  :weep:

What is Arsenal's likely midfield then? Denilson, Rosicky, Gilberto and Diarra?

And what was the midfield when Arsenal played us off the park in the CC?

The Arsenal squad left for Tyneside on Tuesday without FOUR international midfielders. Cesc Fabregas and Abou Diaby missed the 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Saturday with hamstring and back injuries respectively. They will not be returning at St James Park.

What is Arsenal's likely midfield then? Denilson, Rosicky, Gilberto and Diarra?

And what was the midfield when Arsenal played us off the park in the CC?

Walcott, Diarra, Denilson, Song

Ah yeah forgot about Walcott, i would imagine he is gonna start tomorrow then.

Not a bad 5 to chose from, especially as Wenger seems to be able to get everyone playing well together. Despite all the injuries, Arsenal will want nothing less than 3pts tomorrow night.

Guest ArseFan

Can't believe the Flamini news, every player in form for us getting injured at the moment  >:(

The midfield should look like this.

Eboue - Diarra - Denilson - Walcott

--------------- Rosicky

Still no room for Gilberto though.

Can't believe the Flamini news, every player in form for us getting injured at the moment  >:(

The midfield should look like this.

Eboue - Diarra - Denilson - Walcott

--------------- Rosicky

Still no room for Gilberto though.

...also you'll be walking into a den of aggression, fear, anxiety, frustration and win or die motivation for this one with all that's gone on... :razz:

What is Big Sam likely to pick for you guys tomorro then guys.

He will pick 11 names out of a hat, throw them on the table and wherever they land thats the position they play.

Not far off  :thup:

Probably won't change much from the Blackburn game.

It would appear  from training photos and based on which players are not wearing bibs that Barton, Butt, Emre and Smith are starting. Just a theory.

It would appear  from training photos and based on which players are not wearing bibs that Barton, Butt, Emre and Smith are starting. Just a theory.

Fuck me, are you James's boyfriend?

Since the Blackburn game, Same has mentioned preferring Smith in a strikers role as opposed to his midfield role.. wouldn't be surprised to see a midfield 3 of Butt, Emre and Barton and a 3 point attack of Milner, Martins and Smith.. thats my guess anyway.

Would prefer to keep Emre as the impact sub that he is, rather than disrupt a formation that looked positive and has been our most successful so far this season.

To be fair I would too. I don't think he brings anyway near enough to a full 90 minutes to warrant starting him..

I think we lack real depth in that area moreso than others.

Christ! It's catching!