James Milner

Alberto2005

Saying you think someone isn't good enough for your club [depending on your standards] isn't the same thing as slating him.

I think he can't lace Keith Gillespie's boots personally ie the Gillespie we had in his prime.

But thats not meant to be anything other than making a judgement.

Milner is an easy target and has been getting stick undeservedly in my opinion.  There is a list as long as my arm of candidates who do deserve the stick, not least the lazy overpaid strike pairing of Owen & Viduka.  If those two lazy c**** put in half as much effort as Milner, we wouldn't need to pick faults with those who do bother to try.  I wont even get started on Duff, Barton, Geremi & Smith as I cant be bothered to waste my time.

As for the U21's he started on the left and switched to the right.  He was good imo, got 2 goals and was man of the match, but hey, maybe he was s***!

I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't put the effort in, he clearly works hard and seems a nice lad but as a footballer we should be looking to do better.

Out of our starting 11 I'd say right wing is the weak link that Keegan should address first.

Milner is a class act. Keep him. Play him.

I just think he needs a break, he's been playing an awful not.

He's also a class act off the field. Not just in it for the money.

What attributes would you say he has that makes him a class act?

Also how do you rate him compared to other young wingers like Bentley, Lennon, Young, N'Zogbia, Downing or Bale when he's played there?

Milner is an easy target and has been getting stick undeservedly in my opinion.  There is a list as long as my arm of candidates who do deserve the stick, not least the lazy overpaid strike pairing of Owen & Viduka.  If those two lazy c**** put in half as much effort as Milner, we wouldn't need to pick faults with those who do bother to try.  I wont even get started on Duff, Barton, Geremi & Smith as I cant be bothered to waste my time.

As for the U21's he started on the left and switched to the right.  He was good imo, got 2 goals and was man of the match, but hey, maybe he was s***!

I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't put the effort in, he clearly works hard and seems a nice lad but as a footballer we should be looking to do better.

Out of our starting 11 I'd say right wing is the weak link that Keegan should address first.

If we are looking to do better, I disagree with your point above.  I think if we are looking at improving then the following all need improving; LB, CD, DM, AM, ST as well as RW.  With the players and effort they put in, we are in our true place.  This team needs a lot more than a winger.

Its all opinions, but it bugs me how much grief he gets when the alleged 'stars' can barely be arsed to turn up. 

Also how do you rate him compared to other young wingers like Bentley, Lennon, Young, N'Zogbia, Downing or Bale when he's played there?

To be honest I don't care enough about the subject to think about this. I just like him. It's football man.

Ran out of decent examples so you put a full back in there?

Milner is no class act but he is a good winger and if he works at his crossing then he can be a very good player.

Milner is no class act but he is a good winger and if he works at his crossing then he can be a very good player.

I put Bale in there because he's played the majority (if not all) of his games for Spurs on the wing and looked better than Milner in the process.

I put Bale in there because he's played the majority (if not all) of his games for Spurs on the wing and looked better than Milner in the process.

He scored 2 goals and then got injured for the rest of the season. You can't say he is better than Milner based on about 6 appearances. Milner at his best was far better.

Saying you think someone isn't good enough for your club [depending on your standards] isn't the same thing as slating him.

I think he can't lace Keith Gillespie's boots personally ie the Gillespie we had in his prime.

But thats not meant to be anything other than making a judgement.

Have to agree NE5 - Gillespie was a far better winger in terms of pace and crossing ability although he never really reached his full potential ; could have been a great player even up to a couple of years ago but got too interested in off-field activities...

Milner has a more powerful shot when he chooses to use it, but I think that he too has stalled in his career development. Its interesting that he did so well at Villa when he was there and whether that tells you he needs a move to get him going again, I don't know - maybe he just responded better to O'Leary ; these things happen, but one thing is certain - he isn't doing the business in the wing position for us right now.

He scored 2 goals and then got injured for the rest of the season. You can't say he is better than Milner based on about 6 appearances. Milner at his best was far better.

In the 12 games he's played for Spurs he's looked quite a bit better than Milner, you don't need to watch a player 30 times to tell how good they are or not, he's got better control, quicker, gets up and down the pitch better and has good delivery, he's also a better free kick taker than anyone we've got here, not to mention he's still only 18, give him a few more years and he'll be rated as highly as Bentley IMO as they are similar in style, I don't know about anyone else but I was happy when he went off injured against us because he was the Spurs midfielder I feared the most.

Milner at his best here wasn't even that good, he was hyped up because everyone else apart from him and Butt looked like they didn't give a shit.

you're obsessed with Spurs. Are you a closet Spurs fan

you're obsessed with Spurs. Are you a closet Spurs fan

Oh dear. :lol:

Guest MaetihS

In the 12 games he's played for Spurs he's looked quite a bit better than Milner, you don't need to watch a player 30 times to tell how good they are or not, he's got better control, quicker, gets up and down the pitch better and has good delivery, he's also a better free kick taker than anyone we've got here, not to mention he's still only 18, give him a few more years and he'll be rated as highly as Bentley IMO as they are similar in style, I don't know about anyone else but I was happy when he went off injured against us because he was the Spurs midfielder I feared the most.

Milner at his best here wasn't even that good, he was hyped up because everyone else apart from him and Butt looked like they didn't give a s***.

Could not agree more. Milner is just good enough.

Milner is - in my opinion - good enough to play in a top 6/7 team. As this is the level to which we should be aspiring, i think we should keep him.

i find it interesting that many NUFC fans (some who only seem to watch games on the TV, often only highlights) seem to feel it appropriate to slate a player, whilst "bigging up" others who have hardly even played yet as definately brilliant.

Villa View: Gaffer Rues Missing Milner

By Craig Hope

MARTIN O'Neill still feels that Newcastle United star James Milner is the "one that got away" after the Aston Villa boss tried to sign the young winger in the summer of 2006.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1236145,00.html

in that case we should offer him in a swap deal for Ashley Young