Rate the Summer Signings....

La Parka

I just would like to gauge our impressions on our summer signings.

For me, the best signing has to be Habib Beye, who is performing 2 tasks well. Firstly he is keeping Carr out of the lineup but most importantly he has shown himself to be a very experienced and clever player with several attributes to his game which help the team immensely. Shame we didn't find him a few years ago. 8/10

Abdoulaye Faye has impressed me both with his defensive ability and versatility, who will be a vital part of our drive for success. Standing out and becoming a vital part of a new look defence he is solid and most of all consistent. 8/10

David Rozenhal, a bit hit and miss for me. Has ability but is often far too casual and switches off at times. Tall and fairly good in the air and not too bad on the ball he provides good backup but as a starter? Not for me. 6/10

Jose Enrique, Flashes of potential, limited by a new environment and a whole new defensive setup. Hopefully he can work his way back into the team freeing up Zoggy to his more favorable left wing. The guy has potential, I hope he works hard to adapt and move towards a first team slot. 6/10

Alan Smith, at first I was skeptical, and Sam made him even less appealing by playing him in the middle or even on the right highlighting his weaknesses. As of late however, back in the striker role he hopefully can become more comfortable in, we hope to see the improvement continuing.. 7/10

Cacapa, those 15 minutes cost him his place, but in my mind he is still a great player. Solid and reliable bar that nightmare game I feel he is vital to pushing on this season. 7/10

Geremi, from a promising pre season to frustration after frustration. Being made captain makes him more of a target and rightly so, he just isnt doing a job at the moment. I hope he can turn it around, but is this the best he has? 6/10

Joey Barton, an unlucky injury and prolonged setback leading into a lack of fitness and poor performance. He is slowly starting to look a bit of the player he was at City. However his weaknesses at present are obvious and lets hope he presses on, develops his passing and cements his role in midfield. Hard to rate him really- he could go one of two ways.

Mark Viduka Flashes of brilliance, great technical player but so far, far too injury prone. I hope he continues to do well when fit, but keeping him fit may be our biggest worry. 7/10

Abdoulaye Faye - 5

David Rozenhal - 6

Jose Enrique - 1 Can't oust Charlie. Says eveything about Allardyce judgement.

Alan Smith - 2 The striker with no strikes.

Cacapa - 4 Mauled by the only quality he's faced

Geremi - 0 Absolute shit

Joey Barton - 5

Mark Viduka  - 3

Happy to rate them properly at the end of the season, most players havent even got close to getting into their stride and next to none of foreign signings have had time to adapt.

Beye is looking like a duck to water though.

I expect Roz to pick up the pace eventually, Cacapa will be a rock with faye.

Barton is getting better, Smith hasnt been great so far but hasnt been settled into one position.

Geremi has been the most dissapointing so far

Enrique needs more time, looks good though, like Roz and cacapa will be good once settled.

Viduka hasnt played enough, needs to stay fit, but looks good when he has been fit, doesnt quite look sharp enough (for obvious reasons) the rest of the time.

Abdoulaye Faye - 7

David Rozenhal - 4

Jose Enrique - 3

Alan Smith - 4

Cacapa - 6

Geremi - 4

Joey Barton - 5

Mark Viduka  - 5

I class 5 as average, not 7 like newspapers & FM seem to do.

6 is average in footy manager!

Abdoulaye Faye - 5

David Rozenhal - 6

Jose Enrique - 1 Can't oust Charlie. Says eveything about Allardyce judgement.

Alan Smith - 2 The striker with no strikes.

Cacapa - 4 Mauled by the only quality he's faced

Geremi - 0 Absolute s***

Joey Barton - 5

Mark Viduka  - 3

your a idiot mate

Beye 8/10 - Can't really complain

Faye 6/10 - Played well, BUT hardly played.

Roz 7/10 - Decent, but still mistakes

Enrique - 2/10 - Hasn't really played

Smith 3/10 - Not a midfielder and added nothing to our strikeforce (still no goals in 2yrs)

Cacapa 7/10 - Good player, just needs to stay imjury free.

Geremi 4/10 - Hasn't really done anything yet.

Barton 5/10 - looked unfit so far.

Viduka 5/10 - looks decent when fit, but as expected, hasnt started many games

Ive only counted one bad game from cacapa and that was that nightmare 15mins, how come no one is rating him near the top of their rankings. Faye hasnt had a bad game so i can see why he at the top but not Beye, he's only shown what he's capable of recently.

Happy to rate them properly at the end of the season, most players havent even got close to getting into their stride and next to none of foreign signings have had time to adapt.

Beye is looking like a duck to water though.

I expect Roz to pick up the pace eventually, Cacapa will be a rock with faye.

Barton is getting better, Smith hasnt been great so far but hasnt been settled into one position.

Geremi has been the most dissapointing so far

Enrique needs more time, looks good though, like Roz and cacapa will be good once settled.

Viduka hasnt played enough, needs to stay fit, but looks good when he has been fit, doesnt quite look sharp enough (for obvious reasons) the rest of the time.

This.

Beye - 8   composed, consistent, capable, very impressive

Cacapa - 7  been a fan of his for a couple of years, he'll get there

Faye - 7   Solid, very dominant in the air

Rozenhal - 6   Needs to improve but he has time and talent

Barton - 5.5   not match fit yet but improving constantly

Smith - 5.5   average player with great work-rate, we could have done worse

Enrique - 5  i like him, needs to learn the english game and he'll shine

Viduka - 5  couple of good games, not fit or mobile enough

Geremi - 4  poor to say the least, doesn't do nearly enough

The ratings are, as usual, very skewed towards recent form. I also think that people aren't considering how many games these players have played. I'm giving 6 as an average and games not played because of injury brings their ratings down.

Beye - 6. Struggled to begin with (burnt badly against Citeh) but has gradually improved. He's composed but hasn't changed his way of defending against Premiership wingers. We're not playing in France anymore Habib, you can't give them any time nor space.

Cacapa - 5. Didn't play for ages because of his injury, came in and had a few decent games, then struggled against Derby and then the Portsmouth game came and then he suffered another injury. Maybe the reports that said he was injury-prone were true? Anyhow, he looks composed and is a decent signing considering he came for free but needs to stay on the pitch.

Faye - 6. Solid. I like him a lot, shame about the recent injury but he hasn't put a foot wrong.

Rozehnal - 5. Looked composed to begin with and in my opinion, would have been a perfect partner for the more robust and rough Faye. However, since the Derby game his play has been lackadaisal and he's too casual for my liking. His marking is also woeful. He's on Titus' level atm in terms of his ability to defend.

Barton - 4.5. The injury set him back a lot and he's obviously had to play catch up. It's just a shame he's had to play catch up on the pitch where it matters. Surely Sam could have let him play a few more reserve games before throwing him in? He was shite against Spurs, Sunderland, Liverpool and has only recently started improve. Still needs to do a lot more to validate the £5.8m spent.

Smith - 5. At least he's been on the pitch, something most of Sam's other signings haven't been able to do. He's not worth £6m, though that's not relevant to this thread. I'm unsure whether to cut him some slack because he's been played out of position or whether to just judge him like I would any other midfielder. Anyway, thankfully his performances have improved because he's been played up front so he gets a 5. Needs to SCORE.

Enrique - 3. Looked good whenever he's played but hasn't played nearly enough.

Viduka - 4. Doubts about his fitness have been reasonable and he's failed to live up to many expectations.

Geremi - 4. Though he's struggled for form lately you can see why Sam values and continues to select him. His set-pieces have improved (Martins' goal v Blackburn was a peach of a cross), and there's also the intangibles (speaking 4 languages helps here). I was really hoping for more though and he has shown that he can do it as well, so I'm expecting a marked improvement from him in the future.

Whey hey, football manager.....

At least some common sense is now appearing as some people have realised Smith can't be judged as a midfielder. He obviously shouldn't be judged on goals scored either.  The fact is the team has looked better in almost every game where he's played as a striker, inidicating he must be doing something for the team. I realise this can't show up in statistics though, so that's some people well and truly knackered when it comes to judging a footballer.

Anyway, it's too early for a thread like this.

At least some common sense is now appearing as some people have realised Smith can't be judged as a midfielder. He obviously shouldn't be judged on goals scored either.  The fact is the team has looked better in almost every game where he's played as a striker, inidicating he must be doing something for the team. I realise this can't show up in statistics though, so that's some people well and truly knackered when it comes to judging a footballer.

It does, in the most important statistic of them all, which is why he shouldn't be anywhere near one of our forward positions either...

Guest LucasUnger

Abdoulaye Faye - 7

David Rozenhal - 6

Jose Enrique - 5

Alan Smith - 2 in midfield 6 as striker

Cacapa - 5

Geremi - 4

Joey Barton - 4

Mark Viduka  - 5

It does, in the most important statistic of them all, which is why he shouldn't be anywhere near one of our forward positions either...

mackems.gif

Not sure why I'm bothering to reply to you, but did you read what I posted or did you just fail to grasp the meaning? You said, "it does." Well, what does? Tell me.

Imo, individual statistics aren't that important. What is really important is the TEAM. If the general play is consistently good enough and effective enough you will do ok overall, the team will win matches and will climb the table. If certain individuals appear to have 'ace' statistics but the overall TEAM play is shit and ineffective, the TEAM will do nowt. A recent and good example being the much raved about Parker, who is apparently a "great player" according to many of the stats people on here because he had the highest number of completed passes while at Newcastle.  mackems.gif 

Carry on basing everything on newspaper statistics if that's what you prefer but I'll make up my mind by watching football matches.

Ta