Pick Your 3 signings

SUPERTOON

Sam has said he wants 3 players in Jan

Realisticly who would yours be??

Then you say

Van Der Vaart

Do you really think we will be splashing that sort of wonga around?

10 million quoted and Sam says he wants quality meaning he must be willing to spend big

Then you say

Van Der Vaart

10 million quoted and Sam says he wants quality meaning he must be willing to spend big

Quoted where? Hamburg were reported to nock back 18000000 Euro's in the summer. I think Sam is willing to spend not sure if Mort & Ashley are though. Mike has spent at lot of £££'s already this year.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/161420.html

Then you say

Van Der Vaart

Being able to afford him and being able to persuade him to come here instead of bigger interested clubs are two entirely different things.

Nothing wrong with thinking big but if we are being realistic then we are an average mid table club and we need to pick our targets accordingly.

In January? Three youngsters would be ay-ok.

Anelka's temperamental, and would probably cost in excess of £12m at this point in the season in my opinion, which isn't worth it. Similarly with Diouf, he's a key player at Bolton and they won't want to get rid easily. Chelsea won't want rid of Ben Haim and we'd have to pay something silly, likewise with Brown - £3m would be senseless when he's on a free in the summer.

I'd like Wright-Phillips but i think he'd be difficult to prise away. The Arshavin situation remains to be seen; i don't know much about him but he sounds promising - and if we can get him for a decent price (which we might given his current club), then it could be worth it. Wouldn't be a bad idea going in for him now either, considering his price-tag might go up in the summer what with the Euros.

The point is, i don't want to see us being taken for mugs again. It's all very well and good saying "if we splash the cash for this guy he'll change our teams", but in reality, it's difficult for a new player - in-particular European players - to make a stamp arriving in January. Prices inflate in this window so it could be a worthless exercise and a bit of a waste.

I just hope we're careful; i don't think our squad needs extensive work at this moment in time anyhow. Looking forward to seeing what happens, though.

This thread is a bit irrelevant, it looks like we'll just sign young players in January and then spend a bit in the Summer. I wouldn't say it's realistic at all because Portsmouth wouldn't sell him unless we made a crazy offer but I've always admired Niko Krancjar, technically brilliant.