Alan Smith

tmonkey

smith's all round game was summed up perfectly by something he did early in the game last night. the ball was played into him along the floor, slowly, he had no team mates around him and clearly needed to hold the ball up with a defender on his back and wait for support, a pretty easy task really. the defender did nothing but get tight to his back, no challenge, no nipping infront to get the ball. he slid along the floor and kicked the ball away, away from himself, away from all his team mates.

i was stunned, i dont know why, but it stopped me dead. all i could do was collapse in laughter. it was so, so bad. its shocking football, thoughtless, talentless, no instinct, nothing, just shit. i got my first coaching badge last week and it involved studying quite a lot of youngsters playing football, i can say with all confidence that an 8 year old could have done better.

he needs to be removed from this club NOW. i never want to see him in a newcastle shirt again, he's the fucking anti-christ.

smith's all round game was summed up perfectly by something he did early in the game last night. the ball was played into him along the floor, slowly, he had no team mates around him and clearly needed to hold the ball up with a defender on his back and wait for support, a pretty easy task really. the defender did nothing but get tight to his back, no challenge, no nipping infront to get the ball. he slid along the floor and kicked the ball away, away from himself, away from all his team mates.

i was stunned, i dont know why, but it stopped me dead. all i could do was collapse in laughter. it was so, so bad. its shocking football, thoughtless, talentless, no instinct, nothing, just s***. i got my first coaching badge last week and it involved studying quite a lot of youngsters playing football, i can say with all confidence that an 8 year old could have done better.

he needs to be removed from this club NOW. i never want to see him in a newcastle shirt again, he's the f***ing anti-christ.

When that moment happend i almost switch off the TV and went to sleep..shocking

uri geller moment - if everyone honestly & totally resigns themselves to smith being here next season we might create such a wave of negative psychology that someone will come in and bid for him

in fact all of our posts should now be about how good he is, how misunderstood, how he's played out of position, just needs a goal, had awful luck, no support, we're off to get "smith 17" tattoos, lobby for a statue outside the ground or a renaming of the east stand...

you get the idea

better than living in the hope that another professional football club will take him off our hands on 60k p/w wages by actually watching his performances, no?  same goes for shola really

i'm also changing my email address to [email protected]

KK still backing goalshy Alan Smith

04 August 2008

By Miles Starforth

Newcastle United writer

KEVIN Keegan backed Alan Smith after the striker's long run without a goal continued in Newcastle United's 1-0 defeat to Real Mallorca.

Smith was Keegan's only fit forward going into the Mallorca Summer Cup game at Palma's ONO Estadi.

And the 27-year-old and his team-mates drew a blank for the third successive game.

But Keegan has no doubt that Smith – whose last competitive goal was for Manchester United in their 7-1 demolition of Roma in March last year – brings a lot to his team.

He told the Gazette: "We're down to one foward, but the one thing you know with Alan Smith is that he's always going to work hard."

Keegan was without around half his senior players for the Mallorca game, and he is optimistic he will have a number of them back in time for the season opener at Old Trafford on August 17.

He added: "I can't fault their attitude. I had 11 players who weren't available. We weren't without our problems.

"I wasn't going to risk anybody, or do anything silly."

f***ing hell man! I mean c'mon Kevin are you blind? 

04 August 2008

By Miles Starforth

Newcastle United writer

KEVIN Keegan backed Alan Smith after the striker's long run without a goal continued in Newcastle United's 1-0 defeat to Real Mallorca.

Smith was Keegan's only fit forward going into the Mallorca Summer Cup game at Palma's ONO Estadi.

And the 27-year-old and his team-mates drew a blank for the third successive game.

But Keegan has no doubt that Smith whose last competitive goal was for Manchester United in their 7-1 demolition of Roma in March last year brings a lot to his team.

He told the Gazette: "We're down to one foward, but the one thing you know with Alan Smith is that he's always going to work hard."

Keegan was without around half his senior players for the Mallorca game, and he is optimistic he will have a number of them back in time for the season opener at Old Trafford on August 17.

He added: "I can't fault their attitude. I had 11 players who weren't available. We weren't without our problems.

what's your intention in posting that bontempi?  mass suicide?

04 August 2008

By Miles Starforth

Newcastle United writer

But Keegan has no doubt that Smith whose last competitive goal was for Manchester United in their 7-1 demolition of Roma in March last year brings a lot to his team.

Think it's our only option now!

04 August 2008

By Miles Starforth

Newcastle United writer

the old classic - what's the manager supposed to say when asked about his only fit striker?  "he's a heap of shit and we can't give him away"?

keegan was a great striker so he'll know exactly how bad smith is, problem is he may know he can't get rid therefore motivation & hope are all that's left

when i say hope, by the way, i mean hope that owen/oba/fats duke stay fit!!

04 August 2008

By Miles Starforth

Newcastle United writer

the old classic - what's the manager supposed to say when asked about his only fit striker?  "he's a heap of s*** and we can't give him away"?

keegan was a great striker so he'll know exactly how bad smith is, problem is he may know he can't get rid therefore motivation & hope are all that's left

when i say hope, by the way, i mean hope that owen/oba/fats duke stay fit!!

If I was in Keegan's shoes I would plainly see that encouragement is not exactly working with Smith.

I'd put out a statement along the lines of "There's lots of competition for striking positions and Alan needs to start producing allot more before being considered for selection" Ok it's not calling him shit directly, but if you keep telling him he's doing ok he'll carry on doing the same crap performances he's always done.

Half of us in here would have more of a threat.

If I was in Keegan's shoes I would plainly see that encouragement is not exactly working with Smith.

I'd put out a statement along the lines of "There's lots of competition for striking positions and Alan needs to start producing allot more before being considered for selection" Ok it's not calling him s*** directly, but if you keep telling him he's doing ok he'll carry on doing the same crap performances he's always done.

Half of us in here would have more of a threat.

How do you know what Keegan says to Smith?

What's said in private and what's said to the press are likely to be 2 entirely different things you know. Slagging one of your own players off in the press (Even subtly, like you suggest) is massively counter-productive, will damage team morale and will hardly inspire the player himself to better things or (MUCH more importantly in this instance) encourage other teams to come in and take him off our hands.

You seem to want Keegan to slate Smith just to prove to you that he knows Smith is rubbish. That's not going to happen, but just because it doesn't happen, doesn't mean that Keegan is blind.

Keegan will know Smith's deficeincies, and I'm sure he's made Smith aware of them. In private.

Oh, and fingers crossed for the Everton move. £1.75m may not be a fortune compared to what we paid for him, but I'd take £1.75p to get rid of him and drive him to Liverpool myself if it helped push the deal through.