Wigan Athletic 1-0 Newcastle United - 26/12/07 - reaction from page 16

PM

Just watched the extended "highlights" on Sky and I've got to say that performance was as bad as any under Souness. It was like watching a bunch of 11 year olds when the ball is in the air more than it's on the deck. Not one of our players was prepared, or capable, of putting his foot on the ball and playing with some cohesion. Emre was particularly disappointing, probably bottling it after getting a few whacks early on.

As usual, fantastic support from the travelling hordes but this shower of shite don't deserve it. Sam must be living on borrowed time and Ashley looked embarrassed at the end.

Guest clownhat

just watched it on sky too... whiskey drinking now 0_o

i don't get it.... why do we keep leaving martins or milner etc on the bench?? to me its relatively simple... pick a formation, work on it and then put our best players on the pitch, not sure why sam is finding this idea so hard...

Emre finally got a start and did nothing with it, which is very dissapointing.

From what was being said in the radio, Emre was bypassed for certainly the first half by our defenders hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity. He even apparently dropped deeper to seek the ball, but was ignored. Says it all really.

Must point out I didn't see the match today, but it seems another case of Sam trying out yet another formation to see if this is the one that will 'click'.

I'd prefer him just to play one that might win. I know that would seem a ludicrous suggestion to Samuel.

Guest clownhat

i thought that was one of the things sam was 'supposed' to figure out... there where 5 changes today and another different formation...

we aint gonna have any money in jan (partly coz ashleys stock is 1/3rd of what it is when he bought us) and even if we did, where do we strengthen? I think we have some damn good players...

Just watched the extended "highlights" on Sky and I've got to say that performance was as bad as any under Souness. It was like watching a bunch of 11 year olds when the ball is in the air more than it's on the deck. Not one of our players was prepared, or capable, of putting his foot on the ball and playing with some cohesion. Emre was particularly disappointing, probably bottling it after getting a few whacks early on.

As usual, fantastic support from the travelling hordes but this shower of s**** don't deserve it. Sam must be living on borrowed time and Ashley looked embarrassed at the end.

The only way you could see extended highlights of us is to play it in slow motion.

Emre finally got a start and did nothing with it, which is very dissapointing.

From what was being said in the radio, Emre was bypassed for certainly the first half by our defenders hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity. He even apparently dropped deeper to seek the ball, but was ignored. Says it all really.

:(

I just can't believe how clueless Sam seems to be. I was never expecting him to come in and make us play like Arsenal straight away but in comparison to his predecessors I really thought Allardyce had some tactical nous about him. He might not make us play world class football but I figured at the very least we'd be solid, organised and hard to break down.

I'm shocked and disappointed in the man, the fact that 99% of this forum appear to have a better idea of what to do with the side in terms of tactics and team selections speaks volumes.

I have to say when Enrique came on we started looking a bit better and more balanced. Makes you think why can't he learn from this, surely he must see we are a better team when we have a natural balance. I still like the 4-3-3 formation but it's plain as the nose on your face we don't have the players to play that formation and needs to change his tactics at least until he can bring in the players who can.

I forgot to mention that Ashley was in the bar area before kick-off and the fans were singing "Ashley is a Geordie" and "Ashley Wonderland,"  he looked more than chuffed.  I would guess that up to a thousand, possibly more were singing as the whole area was packed and people were singing as they came up the stairs.  :lol:

I have to say when Enrique came on we started looking a bit better and more balanced. Makes you think why can't he learn from this, surely he must see we are a better team when we have a natural balance. I still like the 4-3-3 formation but it's plain as the nose on your face we don't have the players to play that formation and needs to change his tactics at least until he can bring in the players who can.

The formation wasn't 4-3-3, not that it often is anyway.  We were either 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 depending on Smith as he could have been playing as an extra central defender, I don't know which of the two we played.

Really irritated with the comments in the papers this morning that Sam is blaming all the players.  He needs to look at himself first.  Yes the players bear a responsibility but if he keeps changing the team every game and playing players in different positions in every game, how are they ever going to build up a understanding of what he is trying to ask them to do.

He may want to get rid of most of the players but that is not practical and there are some decent players there.  His acclaimed man-management skills are not apparent as he seems intent on undermining many of the players - saying that he couldn't get his first choice premiership players and had to resort to looking abroad cannot make them feel especially wanted.  He is also very keen to make scapegoats of those that make mistakes.

At Bolton, he tended to buy lots and lots of players and there were a few hits and lots of misses.  This is feasible for a club like Bolton when you are dealing with a certain category of players but we would be expecting to look at a higher calibre of player and you cannot be paying out that sort of money to find out what works and what doesn't. 

Sam's record since last Christmas is very poor as Bolton were on the way down since then.

I cannot stand this idea that you try and stop the other team from playing - surely you should be going out trying to win the game from the start especially against the lesser teams.  It didn't do Aston Villa any harm yesterday whereas we will no doubt be going to Chelsea looking to contain them and so inviting attack after attack which means that we will inevitably concede.

I am losing faith as I do not see any evidence of his supposed strengths as a manager.  All I see is a bully who is looking to blame anyone but himself for the performances.  He needs to concentrate on the players that he has at his disposal and look at ways of maximising their strengths in a consistent team formation.  Although not worldbeaters, those players are good enough to form a cohesive team that should be able to score goals.

From a run of games since the Arsenal game where you'd have expected a constant improvement in performances, more consistent team selections and 10 points, we've stumbled our way to 7 points against relegation fodder each time, still no closer to a settled side, and not knowing where the next point is coming from.

I've got the feeling that a defeat at Stoke in a couple of weeks time will be the end for him.

Now THAT might JUST do it.......esp if there have been any more bad results.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce had every sympathy with the fans who slated his side at the end of another miserable performance.

A 64th-minute Ryan Taylor free-kick consigned the Magpies to a 1-0 defeat to relegation-threatened Wigan that is likely to again put incredible pressure on Allardyce.

The 5,500 supporters who travelled to the JJB Stadium, and amongst them was owner Mike Ashley, made it clear about just how they felt after seeing the team conjure just one chance in 90 minutes.

With a few minutes remaining, the majority of the fans sang: "We're s***, and we're sick of it."

Allardyce agreed as he said: "You expect a reaction, and I don't blame the fans.

"If I was them I would be singing what they sang because we're not good enough.

"I'm a top man in my field and I know it's not good enough, so it doesn't take much for them to work out it's not good enough.

"They are not daft."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/12/26/SOCCER_Wigan_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=premiership

'I'm a  top man in my field'..I'm afraid he won't get too many fans agreeing with THAT load of clap - he has managed Notts Co , Blackpool & the mighty Bolton, so does that back up his claim..??