Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's quite lot of money fro Spurs to spend on one player, especially when you consider the 'success' of Darren Bent. Just a hunch, but i bet they've already agreed the sale of Berbatov, just keeping it private for now.

Spurs paying £21m for him with add-ons in the end.

That is pricey tbf.

Aye, it would of been a gamble but no more than any other foreign player, not matter how big there reputation was.

I'd rather pay daft money in terms of wages and try and get Diego.

I reckon if we offered sill £100kpw to him he might bite.

That is pricey tbf.

Aye, it would of been a gamble but no more than any other foreign player, not matter how big there reputation was.

I'd rather pay daft money in terms of wages and try and get Diego.

I reckon if we offered sill £100kpw to him he might bite.

maybe Juhnino will put in a good word for the North East to him....

Luka Modric's shock at Tottenham deal

Tom Dart

If Newcastle United were surprised that Luka Modric signed for Tottenham Hotspur on Friday night, so was the player himself. The Croatia attacking midfield player, who starred in the victory over England at Wembley last November, had been expected to move from Dynamo Zagreb to Tyneside, but Newcastle were outbid by Tottenham at the last moment.

Newcastle offered about £17.5 million but Tottenham are thought to be paying a basic fee of £15.8 million that will break the club transfer record by rising to about £20 million with add-ons. The 22-year-old will arrive after Euro 2008. Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Barcelona were also believed to be interested in the diminutive playmaker, who can feature anywhere in midfield. “There were a lot of other teams interested in signing the player, which meant we had to speed things up,” Juande Ramos, the Tottenham head coach, said. “He is a footballer with an enormous future.”

Modric, who was at White Hart Lane on Saturday to watch the 1-1 draw with Bolton Wanderers, said his decision to join Tottenham was not difficult. “On Friday, the president of Dynamo Zagreb called me to tell me he had agreed a deal with Tottenham that was perfect for me,” he said. “At first, I was very surprised, then a few seconds later, I was proud over the prospect of coming to England. It is right that many clubs in England were interested in taking me, but my favourite from the first meeting was Tottenham because I am a big fan of Ramos.”

Modric added that the pace of the English game appealed to him, as well as the chance to be close to former teammates. “I want a new challenge,” he said. “The time is right. I have followed English football closely because three players from Dynamo Zagreb, Niko Kranjcar, Vedran Corluka and Eduardo da Silva, came to England and are among my best friends.”

Slaven Bilic, the Croatia coach, believes Modric has made a good decision. “Tottenham is perfect for Luka, better than, for example, Chelsea,” he said. “Chelsea could have bought him, Lionel Messi and Ronaldinho and then Luka could have ended up on the bench. At Tottenham, Ramos will have patience so he gets used to the Premier League style of play. Luka will become the star of the team.”

Meanwhile, Ramos conceded on Saturday that Dimitar Berbatov, Tottenham’s world-class striker, could leave in the summer. “If a team pays the asking price the chairman wants, then, possibly, yes,” he said. A fee of about £25 million might be enough.

Newcastle have turned their attention to Richard Dunne, the Manchester City captain, who has been stalling on the offer of a new contract.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3828471.ece

That is pricey tbf.

Where did you read that they've paid £21 million plus addons?  That's a crazy price, but I suppose it backs up the story that Spurs told Zagreb they would beat any offer we'd made providing it meant the player would only be able to discuss terms with them..

Never mind, we'll move on and spend on cash on other players, Spurs have taken one hell of a gamble and the way they're going they're going to find themselves in financial trouble soon enough.  Though I suppose this signing will be covered by the sale of Berbatov, I doubt they'd be able to finance such a move without knowing they'll be getting a similar amount from his sale soon enough.

That is pricey tbf.

Where did you read that they've paid £21 million plus addons?  That's a crazy price, but I suppose it backs up the story that Spurs told Zagreb they would beat any offer we'd made providing it meant the player would only be able to discuss terms with them..

Never mind, we'll move on and spend on cash on other players, Spurs have taken one hell of a gamble and the way they're going they're going to find themselves in financial trouble soon enough.  Though I suppose this signing will be covered by the sale of Berbatov, I doubt they'd be able to finance such a move without knowing they'll be getting a similar amount from his sale soon enough.

£21m for him with add-ons in the end, meaning in total, not plus add-on mate.

Saw it in the times/telegraph summit like that, linked through newsnow earlier on.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/tottenham/article3820999.ece

"There are believed to be add-ons to take the fee to £20.5m."

All this is however to be confirmed by Martin Jol's sister in law, so until then take it with a pinch of salt aye?

Bit gutted about this like, especially when I found out about it. But thinking about it, the fee is ridiculously high for someone relatively unproven. Probably more so for him going to the Yids I think.

Why the hell should the thread be locked or deleted? :lol:

All we need is for people to stop talking shit. ;)

You can't delete it anyway. There's proof in here that someone gave me shit for suggesting that a player might choose Spurs over us ;)

By the way, missing out on Modric means we've turned our attention to Dunne? Great bit of journalism.

All we need is for people to stop talking s***. ;)

You can't delete it anyway. There's proof in here that someone gave me s*** for suggesting that a player might choose Spurs over us ;)

By the way, missing out on Modric means we've turned our attention to Dunne? Great bit of journalism.

:D  Errrmm...did we even agree terms with his club?  :doh:

All we need is for people to stop talking s***. ;)

You can't delete it anyway. There's proof in here that someone gave me s*** for suggesting that a player might choose Spurs over us ;)

:D   Errrmm...did we even agree terms with his club?  :doh:

Chomp ;)

Guest getcarter

.......and to make things worse they are, apparently, negotiating a swap of Etoo for Berbatov with Barcelona :kasper:

Its a pain in the butt working with a bunch of Spuds down south. :dave:

Guest sicko2ndbest

.......and to make things worse they are, apparently, negotiating a swap of Etoo for Berbatov with Barcelona :kasper:

Will not happen

i can see it happening!

Guest elpapi

Will not happen

i can see it happening!

i remember eto'o saying he would go where the biggest pile of cash is... definitely spurs :-P wage structure blabla

I can't see it happening, I really think they'll have to sell after paying such a large fee for Modric.  Unless of course they're not planning on making any more signings this season.

I can't see it happening, I really think they'll have to sell after paying such a large fee for Modric.  Unless of course they're not planning on making any more signings this season.

You should be right but they seem to spend big money every window without really selling big