Who on here seriously wants Shearer?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I love the "so-called proven manager route" that's apparently been so bad for us in the past. :lol:

We've signed quite a few professional footballers on here that've been shite, let's sign some amateurs instead. A lot of them have been blokes too though, better sign some women. Ah but those humans might be the problem altogether. Anyone got London Zoo's phone number?

I love the "so-called proven manager route" that's apparently been so bad for us in the past. :lol:

We've signed quite a few professional footballers on here that've been shite, let's sign some amateurs instead. A lot of them have been blokes too though, better sign some women. Ah but those humans might be the problem altogether. Anyone got London Zoo's phone number?

mackems.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/12/31/ufnsouthgate131.xml

Southgate tells Alan Shearer to speak out

By Steve Wilson

Last Updated: 10:16am GMT 31/12/2007

Gareth Southgate has told his former England team-mate Alan Shearer to end the speculation surrounding him and the Newcastle manager's job and ease the pressure on Sam Allardyce.

Questions were raised again this weekend over Allardyce's ability to turn around the underachieving club with another defeat, this time away to Chelsea.

Although TV replays of Chelsea's winning goal clearly showed that goalscorer Salomon Kalou was in an offside position, another insipid defeat had Newcastle's travelling fans calling for Allardyce to be replaced with their former number nine.

Allardyce has endured a torrid first six months in charge of the club with suggestions players are not receptive to the former Bolton boss' scientific and pragmatic methods.

With Joey Barton's arrest for an alleged assault further questioning Allardyce's judgement after he convinced the Newcastle board that he was the man to curb Barton's errant ways, owner Mike Ashley has come under renewed pressure to act.

Southgate, manager at North East rivals Middlesbrough, feels that the longer Shearer allows his name to be linked with a coaching role at Newcastle the harder it will be for Allardyce to win over supporters and conduct his rebuilding work at St James' Park.

"Sam is a very experienced manager," said Southgate. "I feel he will be able to guide them through the times they are having at the moment."

Shearer has said nothing of his intentions publicly but he is known to be interested in a management career as he takes his coaching badges and would relish a return to his hometown club where he was idolised as a player.

"[Allardyce] could do with Alan coming out and saying 'I'm not interested'," said Southgate.

"All I know is that Newcastle are higher in the table than they were this time last year, and I'm sure they will end up finishing higher than they did last season."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/12/31/ufnsouthgate131.xml

By Steve Wilson

Gareth Southgate has told his former England team-mate Alan Shearer to end the speculation surrounding him and the Newcastle manager's job and ease the pressure on Sam Allardyce.

Questions were raised again this weekend over Allardyce's ability to turn around the underachieving club with another defeat, this time away to Chelsea.

Although TV replays of Chelsea's winning goal clearly showed that goalscorer Salomon Kalou was in an offside position, another insipid defeat had Newcastle's travelling fans calling for Allardyce to be replaced with their former number nine.

Allardyce has endured a torrid first six months in charge of the club with suggestions players are not receptive to the former Bolton boss' scientific and pragmatic methods.

With Joey Barton's arrest for an alleged assault further questioning Allardyce's judgement after he convinced the Newcastle board that he was the man to curb Barton's errant ways, owner Mike Ashley has come under renewed pressure to act.

Southgate, manager at North East rivals Middlesbrough, feels that the longer Shearer allows his name to be linked with a coaching role at Newcastle the harder it will be for Allardyce to win over supporters and conduct his rebuilding work at St James' Park.

"Sam is a very experienced manager," said Southgate. "I feel he will be able to guide them through the times they are having at the moment."

Shearer has said nothing of his intentions publicly but he is known to be interested in a management career as he takes his coaching badges and would relish a return to his hometown club where he was idolised as a player.

"[Allardyce] could do with Alan coming out and saying 'I'm not interested'," said Southgate.

"All I know is that Newcastle are higher in the table than they were this time last year, and I'm sure they will end up finishing higher than they did last season."

Am sure Alan will be very happy about Gareth trying to put him on the spot. Cue on twatting the next time they see each other

By Steve Wilson

He's said repeatedly he wants to honour his tv contract iirc.

Listening to Talksport this morning I noted that Southgate is not the only chap to air his views on the Shearer/Allardyce situation. I've not got any quotes or spotted any hard evidence but Alan Hansen has also urged Shearer to speak up and I think that, to a great extent, Hansen is actually suggesting that Shearer would be an ideal candidate. No thanks.

So infuriating that the press keep hammering home the fact that all geordies want Shearer in as manager.

No we all f****** don't,  and yet it keeps constantly being said.

The majority do. Alot of this forum falls into the minority that don't want him, alot of fans out there see him as the great one, the one to get us out of this mess.

Don't think that's true at all

Check the poll. Over 50% want Shearer installed as manager at some time in the next 5 years. That's the majority.

Carry on manipulating the statistics to suit your argument.  Here's the opening post again...

It's the most ridiculous idea doing the rounds. He needs to manage somewhere else first and develop his skills as a manager (make his mistakes and learn more about himself), in no way should he return and make us his first full time managerial post. Madness.

We're talking here and now.  How about over 80% of Newcastle fans don't want Shearer if Allardyce gets the sack from the same poll information?

I didn't really manipulate them. I said "Check the poll. Over 50% want Shearer installed as manager at some time in the next 5 years". Which is true. This will loom over the club until he is one day appointed. The media would be correct to say the majority of Newcastle fans want Shearer as manager (I personally think the % would be higher if you asked everyone in the ground). Given that it's reasonably unlikely (imo, at least. Certainly something Mort backs up) that Allardyce is going to get sacked here and now, what is the most relevant stat?

I didn't really manipulate them. I said "Check the poll. Over 50% want Shearer installed as manager at some time in the next 5 years". Which is true. This will loom over the club until he is one day appointed. The media would be correct to say the majority of Newcastle fans want Shearer as manager (I personally think the % would be higher if you asked everyone in the ground). Given that it's reasonably unlikely (imo, at least. Certainly something Mort backs up) that Allardyce is going to get sacked here and now, what is the most relevant stat?

Given the nature of the opening post and football in general.................. Mine O0

I think if you asked the vast majority of Newcastle fans (not just internet) they would want Shearer as manager. There again, if Shearer wasn't there, they'd probably want Lee Clark given the choice. Me personally, I'd prefer Sid Wadell or an Ant & Dec management duo with Jimmy Nail as first team coach.

I think if you asked the vast majority of Newcastle fans (not just internet) they would want Shearer as manager. There again, if Shearer wasn't there, they'd probably want Lee Clark given the choice. Me personally, I'd prefer Sid Wadell or an Ant & Dec management duo with Jimmy Nail as first team coach.

I think one of the answers you would get would be bring Keegan back.

Wife-beater asks Al to put his reputation on the line.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/collymore/

Let's see if Shearer has the bottle for it

STAN COLLYMORE 31/12/2007

THE Alan Shearer silence that continues to undermine Sam Allardyce at Newcastle does not surprise me in the slightest.

The army of fans and pundits linking him with Big Sam's job means Shearer's star will continue to rise. Shearer has played for Southampton, Blackburn and at St James' Park - all places where he was a hero.

To me it seems he enjoys the adulation but doesn't want to risk losing it.

There seems more than a touch of the Jose Mourinhos with England about this situation in that I am not convinced Shearer has any intention - in the short term at least - of taking a job that is a poisoned chalice. But he loves being talked about as the messiah.

And I think Gareth Southgate is right. Shearer should come out and say whether he is interested in the Newcastle job or not.

But although I think there will be a new manager at Newcastle by the end of 2008 I don't think it will be him.

He is a Geordie hero, he is secure on Match of the Day, where he can say what he likes, and he has no experience of managing. He is very canny in that he is one of those people who would rather preserve their hero status than stick their head above the parapet and be shot down.

Why go back to a club and destroy your legacy when you can keep it intact and increase your profile? Glenn Hoddle went to Spurs and did that and it was never the same for him afterwards. But at least he went there in his early forties.

Shearer is not even 40 yet. The worst-case scenario is that he goes to Newcastle, makes very little impact and then everyone sees him as a managerial also-ran. A good No.2 but not quite good enough to be the top man.

Look at the damage going to Wycombe did to Tony Adams. Adams wouldn't get a Premier League job now by virtue of what happened at Adams Park.

Shearer knows as much as anyone that the Newcastle fans don't take five minutes to turn on a manager - no matter who he is - if he is not doing the business.

So let's see how Shearer responds to what Southgate has said. Let's see if he really has the bottle to put his career on the line. I, for one, will be watching with interest.

I agree with some points and do wonder if Shearer would take over he management when he's potentially on a hiding to nothing.

Wife-beater asks Al to put his reputation on the line.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/collymore/

Let's see if Shearer has the bottle for it

STAN COLLYMORE 31/12/2007

THE Alan Shearer silence that continues to undermine Sam Allardyce at Newcastle does not surprise me in the slightest.

The army of fans and pundits linking him with Big Sam's job means Shearer's star will continue to rise. Shearer has played for Southampton, Blackburn and at St James' Park - all places where he was a hero.

To me it seems he enjoys the adulation but doesn't want to risk losing it.

There seems more than a touch of the Jose Mourinhos with England about this situation in that I am not convinced Shearer has any intention - in the short term at least - of taking a job that is a poisoned chalice. But he loves being talked about as the messiah.

And I think Gareth Southgate is right. Shearer should come out and say whether he is interested in the Newcastle job or not.

But although I think there will be a new manager at Newcastle by the end of 2008 I don't think it will be him.

He is a Geordie hero, he is secure on Match of the Day, where he can say what he likes, and he has no experience of managing. He is very canny in that he is one of those people who would rather preserve their hero status than stick their head above the parapet and be shot down.

Why go back to a club and destroy your legacy when you can keep it intact and increase your profile? Glenn Hoddle went to Spurs and did that and it was never the same for him afterwards. But at least he went there in his early forties.

Shearer is not even 40 yet. The worst-case scenario is that he goes to Newcastle, makes very little impact and then everyone sees him as a managerial also-ran. A good No.2 but not quite good enough to be the top man.

Look at the damage going to Wycombe did to Tony Adams. Adams wouldn't get a Premier League job now by virtue of what happened at Adams Park.

Shearer knows as much as anyone that the Newcastle fans don't take five minutes to turn on a manager - no matter who he is - if he is not doing the business.

So let's see how Shearer responds to what Southgate has said. Let's see if he really has the bottle to put his career on the line. I, for one, will be watching with interest.

I agree with some points and do wonder if Shearer would take over he management when he's potentially on a hiding to nothing.

mackems.gif

What good would Shearer stating his intentions do? If he doesn't want the job, and says it now, he may never be welcome. What if he changes his mind? And I can think of no better way to undermine the manager than to say he does want the job. He's on a hiding to nothing here, best off keeping quiet.

What good would Shearer stating his intentions do? If he doesn't want the job, and says it now, he may never be welcome. What if he changes his mind? And I can think of no better way to undermine the manager than to say he does want the job. He's on a hiding to nothing here, best off keeping quiet.

He could come out and say he isn't ready...Which is the truth basically.

How do you know though?

How do you know though?

Know what?

How do you know though?

Know what?

That he isn't ready, although if he was i'm sure FS would of had him in this season instead of SA.

How do you know though?

Know what?

That he isn't ready.

How do you know though?

Know what?

That he isn't ready.

I can't know can I. Nobody can predict the future we can only look at the information in front of us and give an opinion.

If you want him to take over tell us why...Feel free.  :razz:

How do you know though?

Know what?

That he isn't ready.

I can't know can I. Nobody can predict the future we can only look at the information in front of us and give an opinion.

If you want him to take over tell us why...Feel free.  :razz:

2 great reasons, if he took the job he'd only do it if he was backed, if he fails at least he's out of the way and our next manager would get more time.

Its not that bad a thing tbh. I'd rather be failing under Shearer than failing under SA.