Manchester City (h) Pre-match thread

James

Sadly Allardyce is persisting with this 'stop the opposition playing' s****. In the paper today he blames the Wigan defeat on them having a days extra rest...

I think what he is trying to do is making us a counter attacking team, but we do not have the pace or directness in our midfield or attack to play this way at the moment. We need at least one player with these attributes to use as an outlet. Martins has the pace but isn't direct enough.

For example Villa have Young and Agbonlahor who set up most of their attacks. Man City use Petrov a great deal in this respect. Portsmouth have the likes of Benjani and Utaka. At Bolton Sam had the likes of Diouf and Anelka.

We currently do not have the personnel for this style of football. If we could just add the right kind of playeer or two with these attributes we ccould see a great deal of improvement.

Sadly Allardyce is persisting with this 'stop the opposition playing' s****. In the paper today he blames the Wigan defeat on them having a days extra rest...

I think what he is trying to do is making us a counter attacking team, but we do not have the pace or directness in our midfield or attack to play this way at the moment. We need at least one player with these attributes to use as an outlet. Martins has the pace but isn't direct enough.

For example Villa have Young and Agbonlahor who set up most of their attacks. Man City use Petrov a great deal in this respect. Portsmouth have the likes of Benjani and Utaka. At Bolton Sam had the likes of Diouf and Anelka.

We currently do not have the personnel for this style of football. If we could just add the right kind of playeer or two with these attributes we ccould see a great deal of improvement.

if he's trying to play counter attacking football why the hell did he buy Barton, Smith and Viduka

these players plus Owen shouldn't be anywhere near the team if that's what we're trying to achieve

if he's trying to play counter attacking football why the hell did he buy Barton, Smith and Viduka

these players plus Owen shouldn't be anywhere near the team if that's what we're trying to achieve

I agree completely. I think it is safe to say that the summer transfer window was a bit of a disaster and I think a lot of it had to do with the change in ownership. Barton and Smith could actually work in such a system, in the same way Hamaan and Johnson do at City i.e. as the hard working central midfield paie, but where we failed miserably was adding pace and guile to the wings and attack. Viduka was a poor signing for an Allardyce set up.

"The reality is that you can't play every game and go out just to attack and open yourself up," Allardyce said.

"When you go out and see the Premiership in its entirety, and you go and watch a game like Manchester City-Liverpool and see City set up at home and say we are not going to get beaten.

"Well, Sven is getting the headlines, and he is putting up a 4-5-1. I watched the whole game live and he didn't let his side go out to attack. Apart from Martin Petrov down the left, Simon Ireland down the right, Darius Vassell up front, no one else got anywhere near the Liverpool 18-yard box.

"But he had got nine wins and two draws at home. So you know the balance of play in many occasions is that he sets up a team not to get beaten against a Liverpool side that if you try to attack, will punish you and win you the game."

What he fails to mention there is that Sven's team don't hoof the ball 50 yds upfield as soon as they win posession. They attempt to move the ball accurately and quickly to the front men to hit on the counter which is a million miles from Sam's direct football philosophy.

"The reality is that you can't play every game and go out just to attack and open yourself up," Allardyce said.

"When you go out and see the Premiership in its entirety, and you go and watch a game like Manchester City-Liverpool and see City set up at home and say we are not going to get beaten.

"Well, Sven is getting the headlines, and he is putting up a 4-5-1. I watched the whole game live and he didn't let his side go out to attack. Apart from Martin Petrov down the left, Simon Ireland down the right, Darius Vassell up front, no one else got anywhere near the Liverpool 18-yard box.

"But he had got nine wins and two draws at home. So you know the balance of play in many occasions is that he sets up a team not to get beaten against a Liverpool side that if you try to attack, will punish you and win you the game."

What he fails to mention there is that Sven's team don't hoof the ball 50 yds upfield as soon as they win posession. They attempt to move the ball accurately and quickly to the front men to hit on the counter which is a million miles from Sam's direct football philosophy.

I can't believe he has the temerity to have a little dig at Sven. What a muppet.

Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees. Remember Robson's excellent counter-attacking team of a few years back? The only attacking players we had when playing from defence were Robert, Bellamy and Dyer (all lightning fast) but master tactician Allardyce doesn't seemed to have twigged how that worked either  :idiot2:

Sorry guys, i'm going to the game tonight...

don't think we've ever won a league game that i've attended. We beat Mansfield once... I think thats it.

(i am no soopafan.)

Oh, and if that quote is 100% accurate... Sam can't even get "Simon Ireland"s name right.

Fact is we do not seem to be able to sit back and defend for 90 mins, in our case attack is definitely the best for of defence. We won't have to worry tp much about breaking down City today though as they won't be coming here to sit back and try and hold us.

Owen to score tonight.

Owen will look like he is walking in quicksand against Micah Richards.

I think this is a game where we ought to play Martins up front. He scored a great goal up at City.

Play both Martins and Owen, Viduka is a statue and Smith is an injury doubt..

4-4-2

Given

Beye

Cacapa

Faye

Enrique

Milner

Butt

Zoggy

Duff

Martins

Owen

BENCH

Harper

Taylor

Emre

Geremi

Viduka

Sorry guys, i'm going to the game tonight...

don't think we've ever won a league game that i've attended. We beat Mansfield once... I think thats it.

(i am no soopafan.)

Oh, and if that quote is 100% accurate... Sam can't even get "Simon Ireland"s name right.

Don't worry, i'm off too, and i've never seen us lose (in normal time). :razz:

I'm really curious to see what happens if we lose this.

I'm more curious to see what the reactions will be if we win, or if we turn them over.

Sam needs more than just this game to get the support he needs.

Guest LucasUnger

Given

Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique

Milner Butt Emre Duff

Viduka Owen

Subs: Harper Taylor Geremi Zoggy Martins

you would start duff instead of zoggy?`????

Tough game tonight but at home I see us doing alright if we keep a clean sheet until half time

Really hope Enriques doing alright, we really need him back there so Zog or Duff can focus on their real games. I also want to see Duff come in for Zog tonight, give Charlie a rest.

Given

Beye  Faye Cacapa Enrique

Milner  Butt  Emre      Duff

Viduka Owen

I say it'll be 2 - 1 to us tonight..............COME ON!!  :cheesy: