Manchester City (h) Pre-match thread

James

1-2.

Although we have a better chance if Smith is out, and we have to play a competent player in his place.

Heaven knows what Sam will do if we end up playinig well and winning without Smith. Goinig to open about 100 cans or worms that will

Guest Stephen927

That's why I want Duff to be central behind Martins, he's got enough about him to be able to dribble in the centre of the field, and I'd fancy him to score if a chance fell (even though he looked like he couldn't shoot for all the tea in China last season)

We'll get torn to shreds if we don't at least attempt to play it on the floor and get some decent movement. Previous matches have seen teams enjoy a great deal of attacking pressure because our only outlet is the long ball. I'd rather see us go down while playing actual football and giving it our best shot rather than the lazy and predictable option of hoofing it to the little man wearing number 9.

That's why I want Duff to be central behind Martins, he's got enough about him to be able to dribble in the centre of the field, and I'd fancy him to score if a chance fell (even though he looked like he couldn't shoot for all the tea in China last season)

We'll get torn to shreds if we don't at least attempt to play it on the floor and get some decent movement. Previous matches have seen teams enjoy a great deal of attacking pressure because our only outlet is the long ball. I'd rather see us go down while playing actual football and giving it our best shot rather than the lazy and predictable option of hoofing it to the little man wearing number 9.

:thup:

Sorry for being a bit pessimistic but I think Sam will be happy to keep Elano out of the picture and scoreless so draw is the absolute max we'll be getting :blush:

I can't see City scoring either so a boring 0-0 could be close. It's very tough job for any team to score against City's defence at the moment and especially Micah Richards. Even Fernando Torres looked average against this wonderkid

Sorry for being a bit pessimistic but I think Sam will be happy to keep Elano out of the picture and scoreless so draw is the absolute max we'll be getting :blush:

I can't see City scoring either so a boring 0-0 could be close. It's very tough job for any team to score against City's defence at the moment and especially Micah Richards. Even Fernando Torres looked average against this wonderkid

Thought Richard Dunne had more to do with that, personally.

We're going to struggle to score here, 1-1?

We will be our own worst enemies again and make super hard work of playing this compression football again.  We'll hoof the ball as much as possible and surrender possesion easily.  Man city will move the ball much better than us and will win 1-0 on the night.

Guest michaelfoster

From The Telegraph, a story with a opening line just begging to be lampooned:

Alan Smith, the Newcastle United striker, was sent to hospital on Saturday night suffering from amnesia.

Smith suffered a blow to the head during Newcastle's 2-1 defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge following a collision with team-mate Abdoulaye Faye.

The England international, 27, received treatment and managed to play on for a short time before he was substituted with 20 minutes remaining.

Smith, who moved from Manchester United to Newcastle for £6 million in the summer, flew back to the North-East with his team-mates but complained of feeling unwell on the plane.

Checks were made on his condition after he was sent to hospital on the advice of the club doctor.

Smith was kept in hospital overnight before he was allowed to leave yesterday.

Alex Black, Smith's agent said: "Alan couldn't remember much after getting hurt and the club felt he should have a proper examination.

"He was allowed out on Sunday morning when he was feeling a lot better."

Smith hopes to be available for Newcastle's game against Manchester City at St James' Park on Wednesday.

---------------------------

Mon Smith being dropped on Wednesday

However, despite their troubles, Newcastle have only lost twice on home soil this season. Allardyce desperately needs that statistic to still be intact on Thursday morning.

He added: “Our game plan for Manchester City at home will be completely different to Chelsea. We have to be more creative when we play a home game, rather than playing the kind of containing game we played at Chelsea, where we tried to hit our opponents on the break.

“We sucked them in and hit them in the spaces they left behind. It was very effective. They scored a scrappy goal, but we came back tremendously well. Then of course we were dealt a massive blow with the goal that was blatantly offside.”

well looks like sam will be going for it and a more attacking team .Fingers crossed milner right ,duff left and emre in for smith will do me or enrique in and the zog moved up field for smith and lets go for it .I will be at work and im more hopeful about this one .

Given

Beye Cacapa/Roz Taylor Enrique

Butt/Faye --- Geremi

Duff  ------------------------  Zog

Owen     Martins 

Is what id love to see, 442/424

but

I think we'll see

Given

Beye   Cacapa  Faye  Zog

Duff   Butt Emre     Milner

Viduka Owen

From The Telegraph, a story with a opening line just begging to be lampooned:

Alan Smith, the Newcastle United striker, was sent to hospital on Saturday night suffering from amnesia.

Smith suffered a blow to the head during Newcastle's 2-1 defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge following a collision with team-mate Abdoulaye Faye.

The England international, 27, received treatment and managed to play on for a short time before he was substituted with 20 minutes remaining.

Smith, who moved from Manchester United to Newcastle for £6 million in the summer, flew back to the North-East with his team-mates but complained of feeling unwell on the plane.

Checks were made on his condition after he was sent to hospital on the advice of the club doctor.

Smith was kept in hospital overnight before he was allowed to leave yesterday.

Alex Black, Smith's agent said: "Alan couldn't remember much after getting hurt and the club felt he should have a proper examination.

"He was allowed out on Sunday morning when he was feeling a lot better."

Smith hopes to be available for Newcastle's game against Manchester City at St James' Park on Wednesday.

---------------------------

Mon Smith being dropped on Wednesday

Lets hope he's forgotton that he's actually a shite footballer!

Guest sicko2ndbest

I am travelling up from the midlands for this one. Last time i came up around christmas time was for the Charlton game 2 seasons ago when it was called off!! I have just looked at the forecast for tomorrow and again its snow. If this one is called off i am going to be amazingly pissed off  :rant:

Sam The Man, Says Sven

With Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce under increasing pressure from fans and the media, Manchester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson has been the latest in a series of fellow Premiership managers to come to his defence...

Sam Allardyce (pictured) was appointed as successor to Glenn Roeder at Newcastle towards the end of last season.

Despite being a notoriously successful man at Bolton to the point he was even being backed to take over England, Allardyce has failed to get the results in order to win over the Newcastle faithful.

The board have been patient with Allardyce, at least publicly remaining behind their man; but sections of fans and media alike are calling for his exit already, despite being touted as the man to bring Newcastle back to their former glories.

Sven Goran Eriksson, former England manager himself and now in charge of Manchester City, has come to the defence of Big Sam, insisting that all he needs is time to turn things around at St. James' Park.

"Every time you have a team or a club which is not doing exactly what the fans and media expect, the pressure is there," he said. "I think we have to live with that.

"I don't know how much pressure Sam Allardyce is under but I do know he has a very thick skin and I don't think anyone will break him down.

"Everyone knows he is a very good manager and if they give him time, I know he will change things for Newcastle.

"I am quite sure he is the right man for that big job."

Allardyce has taken over a fragmented squad who didn't look like challenging for Europe in the first place, and though some of his transfers were rightly criticised, injuries have not helped his cause, none more severe than the recurring appearance of Michael Owen on the treatment table.

Sven, a man who centred his England forward line around Owen, sympathises with Big Sam's predicament.

"Michael Owen is one of the best English goalscorers of all time, which tells you everything you need to know about him," he declared.

"A fit Michael Owen is a danger for everyone. He is very clever and in the box he is outstanding.

"No matter what team you manage, if you have a fit Michael Owen you know you are gifted.

"Your team can play averagely for a half, or an hour, or even for 90 minutes, but you know the first chance he gets, he will probably score.

"If you have three chances in one game, he will score two goals. He is ice cool."

Despite Sven's compassion for Big Sam, there will be no love lost when the two sides meet tomorrow as City will be looking to improve on their poor away form so far this season, while Big Sam will be looking to give the 50,000 strong on Teeside something to cheer about.

"It has been a long time since we won away from home, so we are looking forward to the day when we get another," said the Swede.

"But if you look back over what we have done so far, we should be happy.

"We have 36 points after 20 games, which is a good return.

"If we can keep up the work in the second half of the season, it would be perfect."

Didn't realise Sam was looking to help the Boro like.

Not looking forward to this, think we will struggle to get a result tomorro, i just hope it rains all night and day so the game is abandoned to a time when hopefully we will have put a few results together and confidence will be up.

So tempted:

Given

Beye  Cacapa  Taylor  N'Zogbia

Milner    Faye  Emre    Duff

Owen  Martins

Am I mad? Yes actually I am :lol: