Manchester City (h) Pre-match thread

James

Yorkie: Same here! Although it still has N'Zogbia at LB...

If Smith and Faye are out, then he doesn't have too many other options! Just like Glenn Roeder, we could get our preferred team due to injuries more than anything.

I'm not sure if Owen is fit enough to start, Rozehnal would appear to be out of favour, Enrique getting on the bench this time would be seen as progress... Geremi is the key, along with the fitness of the players who've appeared in 90 minutes of all our Festive games, could see him selected ahead of Milner or Emre.

I do have a feeling however that we might see a 4-4-2.

I'd like to see this:

Given

Beye   Taylor   Caçapa   Enrique

Milner    Faye   Butt     N'Zogbia

Martins   Viduka

Subs: Harper, Rozehnal, Duff, Emre, Owen

Which is exactly the same team that Nate selected, aside from Butt being in the midfield rather than Emre. I think Butt's really good at home and he fought for everything at Chelsea. It's quite a defensive centre-mid, but both players will battle and charge and the defense will need a lot of protection with the likes of Elano and Bianchi (who i rate) in the side.

And, again as Nate said, Beye's obviously going to be in the team cos he could give Petrov a difficult game, which is very i mportant.

Most importantly, i really think it's time to see N'Zogbia on the wing. The fact that Sam brought on another defender against Chelsea, so as to allow N'Zogbia to push up permanently, is very encouraging for me. Maybe, just maybe, Sam will have 'listened' to us. What's crucial then though, is that there are two strikers in the team, or it's a bit of a waste. Viduka and Martins ftw.

I initially put Duff on the right-wing, but changed my mind because i think Milner will be better at rear-guarding the defense, with the threat of Petrov in mind.

I desperately hope that Faye's fit, and i desperately hope that Smith isn't - as awful as that is. It'd be typical of Faye to be out, and Smith to make it though. In which case, if i had to put him somewhere, i'd put him in midfield alongside Butt and have him battling away against City's impressive midfield. He doesn't work up top with Martins imo, Martins awareness isn't good enough.

Fucking hope we win. I'm off to it. 2-1 Newcastle, N'Zogbia double. :razz:

Guest toonlass

Given

Beye        Cacapa      Moley        Zoggy

Milner    Butt      Faye          Duff

Smith

Viduka

Subs

Harper

Rozy

Owen

Martins

Geremi

2-1 to  us+is it on Setanta does anyone know?Cant believe sky are shown Bolton vv derby

Not on UK TV, according to .com. Sport TV2, Supersport 4, Supersport 3SA showing it, not sure which countries. Scandinavian Canal+ Sport has it as well.

Apparently Elano is on somewhat of a bad patch, here's to hoping he won't pick it up again against us. Just subbed out in City's game vs Liverpool, haven't done alot, but to be fair City have been defending for most of the game, 10 men behind the ball most of the time.

Given

Beye        Cacapa    Faye    N'Zogbia

Milner        Butt    Emre    Duff

Viduka    Martins

subs: Harper, Geremi, Owen, Smith, Rozehnal

Nice, simple 442...won't happen though

Guest Lefty Toon

Given

Beye    Cacapa    Taylor    Enrique

Milner            Butt                Duff

N'Zogbia

Martins            Smith

I can assume Sam is going to play

Given

Beye Taylor Rozehnal NZogbia

Smith Butt Emre

Milner Viduka Duff

That if Faye is injured although i think to win we would need a more offensive team looking more like this

Given

Beye Taylor Cacapa Enrique

Milner Butt/Faye/Smith Emre NZogbia

Viduka Martins..

Guest Stephen927

Given

Beye Cacapa Taylor Enrique

Butt Faye

Milner---------------------N'Zogbia

Duff

Martins

Doubt Sam would go with it though as it means no long ball because of the lack of height in the front two.

Can see him playing two defensive midfielders because of the threat from Elano and Ireland breaking forward. He might also start to feel that N'Zogbia will be able to support Enrique effectively after his stint at left back.

...The Manager also confirmed that Castillo would not be available for selection until after Wednesday night’s game away to Newcastle. Premier League rules state that a new player must be registered by midday of the previous working day, and with the Premier League’s offices being closed on January 1st the Mexican’s paperwork cannot be processed until ahead of the FA Cup tie with West Ham.

Work shy twats.  >:(

Saw their game with L/Pool on Fox today(recorded last night).

They were largely outplayed by the Scousers but battled grimly for a point ; if they perform similarly at SJP I reckon it will be a tough job to get 3 points. Dunne and Richards were very strong at the back..

An early goal for Newcastle is the best hope of winning (so they have to come out), but if they get in front this Newcastle side will find it hard to get past them.

For all the talk about Elano and Petrov, City's season has been built on their defensive solidarity. Dunne in particular was an absolute rock against Liverpool. I'm really not sure how we'll break them down.

For all the talk about Elano and Petrov, City's season has been built on their defensive solidarity. Dunne in particular was an absolute rock against Liverpool. I'm really not sure how we'll break them down.

Well, bearing in mind Allardyce has one tactic, I think "hope the long ball works" is the answer there.

Despite my concerns about breaking them down, I wouldn't be too surprised if we nicked this. Can see it being a very low scoring game, 1-0 either way or 1 a piece. Covering all my bases there :lol:

Neck out: 1-0 Toon. Blind optimism.