Villa favourites in race to recruit troubled Martins

Thespence

He'd do well at Villa with their counter attacking football.

Yepp! I love Obafemi as a player. But his carreer will soon be ruined if he stays with NUFC. I would love to see some magic from Martins in the future. So far Sam sticks with the S*** tactics, it won't happen in NUFC. So it's allmost I hope - but that doesn't mean I like it - Martins gets a club where they play attacking football. He deserves to show his qualities  :undecided:

you'll all be kicking yourselves if he moves to another club in england - put martins in a team with (a) a coach that can drill some runs into him, remind him how to make the best of his pace and (b) have the players/tactics to best exploit that pace and he WILL score a lot of goals and be dangerous

does no-one think coaching is necessary any more?  he's patently not had any since he left inter so is it any surprise his game is getting poorer?

martins needs to be put through the middle and his sole purpose needs to be using his pace to unsettle defenders with better runs, stretching defences and creating space for others...he'd gain confidence and start scoring again

right now he's being asked to play like a winger and the only time he sees the ball it's going over his head, flying at him at chest height on the wing, or he's got his back to the goal on the touchline

the best thing for martins would be to leave NUFC if allardyce stays, if allardyce goes we need to keep him and get a coach who can improve players, not just piss and moan because those players can't play his "system"

10m too much, get a fuken grip man...we paid 6m for smith for christ'ss sake, is someone trying to tell me 10m is too much for martins in this climate?  clowns

Yepp! I love Obafemi as a player. But his carreer will soon be ruined if he stays with NUFC. I would love to see some magic from Martins in the future. So far Sam sticks with the S*** tactics, it won't happen in NUFC. So it's allmost I hope - but that doesn't mean I like it - Martins gets a club where they play attacking football. He deserves to show his qualities  :undecided:

you'll all be kicking yourselves if he moves to another club in england - put martins in a team with (a) a coach that can drill some runs into him, remind him how to make the best of his pace and (b) have the players/tactics to best exploit that pace and he WILL score a lot of goals and be dangerous

does no-one think coaching is necessary any more?  he's patently not had any since he left inter so is it any surprise his game is getting poorer?

martins needs to be put through the middle and his sole purpose needs to be using his pace to unsettle defenders with better runs, stretching defences and creating space for others...he'd gain confidence and start scoring again

right now he's being asked to play like a winger and the only time he sees the ball it's going over his head, flying at him at chest height on the wing, or he's got his back to the goal on the touchline

the best thing for martins would be to leave NUFC if allardyce stays, if allardyce goes we need to keep him and get a coach who can improve players, not just piss and moan because those players can't play his "system"

10m too much, get a fuken grip man...we paid 6m for smith for christ'ss sake, is someone trying to tell me 10m is too much for martins in this climate?  clowns

I agree that coaching IS important, but in that case, what are those among the 20 back-room staff Allardyce has signed doing for their cash..??

I have long thought that the team as a whole plays as if there is NO coaching other than HOOF IT & Chase...

A top coach could improve ANY player, but I doubt that Martins will ever be in the really top bracket of strikers - he's not aware enough. Would swap for Ashton.

Could get a better player than Obafemi Martins for £13m. Easy. Or at least one with half a brain.

Altho I'd prefer him to Crouch (who I presume would command a similar fee) he's not someone I would want at City...I find Vassell frustrating enough, but he is shite so he has a good excuse, with Martins I'd be tearing me hair out watching some of the shite performances I've seen from someone who is actually capable of doing something half decent. :tickedoff:

So. erm. Good luck in this alleged race Villa.  ???

Guest teepee

we wont be able to replace him, and i rate martins very highly, so unless we are certain that we can strike a deal for an adequate replacement

if he was to leave for spurs a swap deal with either bent or defoe could be interesting, given sam will change his system, which is really what is needed, the only attacking player we have who fits in to this system is duff

Guest The Libertine

its pretty useless selling him now. at least wait till the summer so we can get a proper replacement in, if we are indeed selling him.

i think he's a good player, he's just hasnt got a "footballing brain" and is also a bit thick.

Sell, if we can get a decent replacement. If this is true, I think those other clubs are over-estimating Martins' ability.

and the decent replacement would be....?

Please, no one say Anelka. You might as well say Ronaldhino.

He'd frustrate the hell out of them. They're used to the silky running of Agbonlahor & Young, then little Oba bobbles along.

I was going to say, i think he'd completely ruin Villa's system. The counter-attack is as much about dribbling, quick passing and awareness as it is pace. Martins is such an average footballer he struggles to be effective outside of a standard 4-4-2.

I'd accept £13m.

save the forward save the world ,martins is low on confidence atm due to being used in positions  and doing jobs that do not suit him ,his first touch and decision making are shocking for a top flight player .We need a manager who can get the best out of him and fat sam cannot do this due to us being shite all over the place and martins has different strike partners or being put wide right which doesnt help .but my main problem with him is having great chances and not putting them away and thats what we need

Guest MaetihS

Our only player that can rival others....sigh. This is quite understable clubs are after him..honestly too good for us. He deserves to play for better teams that play football like Villa or Man City. Like i said before, this is coming soon; as we are no longer a top 6 or even top 10 club, bigger clubs will come to get our players at lower prices espeacially the footbal we dished out make them look bad. Good managers like Sven will see quality when they see one..no surprise. expect Emre to follow out soon. my god, our team is start to look like relegation material with no flair and creativity.

Guest MaetihS

spot on.

While Martins has showed very little this season, and missed a fair few sitters, i reckon his confidence is shot to shit. If we played him under a decent manager with decent tactics I think he'd get 15 PL goals a season.

I think he'd do well at Villa.

Edit: £13m is a fuckin lot for him like.

Hmm... Martins hasn't been playing well this season, but neither has most of the team really.

£13million is tempting, but who can we get with that money that will make a difference? - I can't see many strikers wanting to come here unless its from a lower club/league, and the chances of a player coming here from a lower league and making a difference is very hit and miss generally.

I'm going to say stick with Martins, sell Ameobi and bring in someone else to replace him (Dave Kitson?).  Can't see anyone signing Martins til end of January incase he is injured badly for Nigeria.

If we sell him we'll only replace him with a Kevin Davies type player. Sam has no imagination, we'll end up with some utter utter utter utter utter shite in his place.

Be careful what you wish for.

The only sensible post in this thread.