The Magedia Thread - Sunderland suck trollolololol

Rocker

Is their any chance that Sky TV, BBC, Tyne Tees TV and various publications may offer a public apology for the confusion and anger they caused yesterday due to reporting rumours and lies , and their ridiculing of Newcastle United and it's supporters ?

On the contrary, you can guarantee that they will all be digging deeper than ever to find any traces of unrest and no doubt fabricating internal frictions where they can't find any.  They've all been made to look stupid and they'll do anything they can do to prove they were right all along. 

If anything we are in for a rougher ride than ever from the media now.

You may be right, but after yesterday's press debacle it's hard to see how they could sink any lower. But there again .....................

Is their any chance that Sky TV, BBC, Tyne Tees TV and various publications may offer a public apology for the confusion and anger they caused yesterday due to reporting rumours and lies , and their ridiculing of Newcastle United and it's supporters ?

On the contrary, you can guarantee that they will all be digging deeper than ever to find any traces of unrest and no doubt fabricating internal frictions where they can't find any.  They've all been made to look stupid and they'll do anything they can do to prove they were right all along. 

If anything we are in for a rougher ride than ever from the media now.

Lets wait until the whole episode is over first and we can say for definite that they were wrong

They were wrong though, Keegan wasn't sacked and didn't walk out. They were reporting as if it happened there and then. He may have walked out at one point on Tuesday, but for Sky to be reporting it in that manner is apauling, without any official word from the club, they were reporting what was a rumour for atleast 2/3rd's of the news cycle.

But they used the safety net phrase.... "sources tell us" Its like avoiding a libel claim by stating 'allegedly' - you are saying something which would seem to be fact, but then covering yourself.

The BBC blog article says as much...

"The BBC and almost every other outlet received information from the most reliable and informed sources that Keegan had left his position. This would not have been reported had there been the slightest doubt."

If he ends up staying, its just more reason not to belive the press in future, until things come direct from the club/people concerned.

Maybe from now on we should treat any report using unnamed sources as fabrication.

If someone has said something which can create such confusion and end up being the main story on certain news channels then the "source" should be bloody well named.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Michael Owen to lead a player revolt for answers over Kevin Keegan's future

The crisis gripping Newcastle United took a new militant twist when it emerged that club owner Mike Ashley was set to face a player revolt at St James' Park as dressing-room support for beleaguered manager Kevin Keegan hardened.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2677225/Michael-Owen-set-to-lead-a-player-revolt-over-Kevin-Keegans-future---Football.html

I've got to say, the media I was listening to as the whole saga unfolded, fairly explicitly stated that it was NOT a fact, and that it was merely likely he was to leave, which was a fairly sensible conclusion to make. Of course there's a furore around it and whilst the media are quick to encourage anarchistic hysteria, if you look behind the general sense of craziness of the past 36 hours, the actual reporting of it generally isn't too bad. The problem is centered on the individual journalists who are linking this saga into a general tirade of abuse focusing on Newcastle.

I've got to say, the media I was listening to as the whole saga unfolded, fairly explicitly stated that it was NOT a fact, and that it was merely likely he was to leave, which was a fairly sensible conclusion to make. Of course there's a furore around it and whilst the media are quick to encourage anarchistic hysteria, if you look behind the general sense of craziness of the past 36 hours, the actual reporting of it generally isn't too bad. The problem is centered on the individual journalists who are linking this saga into a general tirade of abuse focusing on Newcastle.

But there again Sky did say Keegan had been fired and BBC radio 5 did say "Kevin Keegan has parted company with Newcastle after just 8 months in charge" hours before the club made any kind of statement.

They should admit they were wrong and were sold down the river by some other journalist's rumours, they should apologise for reporting rumour as fact and the confusion and anger it subsequently caused.

Shearergol, i presume you are referring to Gemmill who I will vouch for as a 100% sound lad and reliable as they come. However, he pm'ed me what he knew about events on the morning and my first reaction was that 'keegan leaving the club in these circumstances is far more likely than him being sacked' because of history and because of his known need to do things his way. I was hopeful at the time because its easy to see how 'keegan has gone' in the english language can mean a lot of things, including just having a massive hissy fit. He probably walked out, or started to demand changes to the situation on threat of leaving the club and it took them completely by surprise. Where that shite comes from about a press conference already lined up, i've no idea.

The question is, considering who the source was in our case, who were the real "sources" that had people all over the town, skysports, the bbc and every newspaper claiming 'keegan had gone'. Someone within the club put that information out, it was completely believed, otherwise the veracity of attention wouldnt have been there. Was it Keegan? Was it the board?

Who gained from the situation?

But there again Sky did say Keegan had been fired and BBC radio 5 did say "Kevin Keegan has parted company with Newcastle after just 8 months in charge" hours before the club made any kind of statement.

They should admit they were wrong and were sold down the river by some other journalist's rumours, they should apologise for reporting rumour as fact and the confusion and anger it subsequently caused.

Regarding Sky, I have to say I never saw them say anything more than that their sources were telling them things. In contrast, BBC News 24 was repeatedly reporting it as a signed and sealed fact in headlines etc.

Was the source from the 'keegan camp' who gave the quotes to Oliver today, the same source who let it out that Keegan was leaving on tuesday morning?

Terry Mac?

Was that a yes though?

I dont think the identity is that important if that is the answer.

Was that a yes though?

I would guess that few people would have originally known what was going on so I wouldn't be surprised.  Who had something to gain from this news breaking?  I don't see how the club could have gained too much, if anything.

Was that a yes though?

I would guess that few people would have originally known what was going on so I wouldn't be surprised.  Who had something to gain from this news breaking?  I don't see how the club could have gained too much, if anything.

Exactly. It makes you think anyway.

Shearergol, i presume you are referring to Gemmill who I will vouch for as a 100% sound lad and reliable as they come. However, he pm'ed me what he knew about events on the morning and my first reaction was that 'keegan leaving the club in these circumstances is far more likely than him being sacked' because of history and because of his known need to do things his way. I was hopeful at the time because its easy to see how 'keegan has gone' in the english language can mean a lot of things, including just having a massive hissy fit. He probably walked out, or started to demand changes to the situation on threat of leaving the club and it took them completely by surprise. Where that shite comes from about a press conference already lined up, i've no idea.

The question is, considering who the source was in our case, who were the real "sources" that had people all over the town, skysports, the bbc and every newspaper claiming 'keegan had gone'. Someone within the club put that information out, it was completely believed, otherwise the veracity of attention wouldnt have been there. Was it Keegan? Was it the board?

Who gained from the situation?

Spot on. Only one person actually has anything to gain from this. The same person who is either going to get a huge payoff, or get his way with how the club should be structured.

The crisis gripping Newcastle United took a new militant twist when it emerged that club owner Mike Ashley was set to face a player revolt at St James' Park as dressing-room support for beleaguered manager Kevin Keegan hardened.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2677225/Michael-Owen-set-to-lead-a-player-revolt-over-Kevin-Keegans-future---Football.html

There's no way that's true, if there was a 'revolt' (which there isn't) can you imagine Michael Owen 'leading it'? Laughable.

There's no way that's true, if there was a 'revolt' (which there isn't) can you imagine Michael Owen 'leading it'? Laughable.

Certainly is laughable, but no more so than most of the other tripe written recently.

Certainly is laughable, but no more so than most of the other tripe written recently.

Preaching to the converted there my friend.

Its because its all gone quiet at the club, they are desperate to keep the story running so are just making up the expected stories.

How to write a player revolt story is on page 666 of the tabloid writers bible under the chapter heading "Manager and owner dont get on"

Anyone write on Phil McNulty's blog, regarding the whole situation?

Mine along with other people's comments that criticised the biased reporting of Mr McNulty were deleted. Fairly pathetic from the BBC imo.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1054714/Newcastle-suffer-viral-attack--Toon-comedy-club-targeted-email-pranksters.html?ITO=1490

Nice.

Now I'm sure toon fans sending those in dont feel and look like twats now.

Feed the monster and watch it grow. Just like tmrw, the only one thats going to gain anything is the general public and the press, having yet another side splitting laugh at the club we love.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1054714/Newcastle-suffer-viral-attack--Toon-comedy-club-targeted-email-pranksters.html?ITO=1490

Nice.

Now I'm sure toon fans sending those in dont feel and look like twats now.

Feed the monster and watch it grow. Just like tmrw, the only one thats going to gain anything is the general public and the press, having yet another side splitting laugh at the club we love.

ileft them a comment, but im not sure if they'll put it up.