Arsenal

Gash

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Happy I'm not the only one who can't think of anyone! Are the coaches out there really that poor at the moment?

The issue with Wenger and Arsenal is separating what he has done for them in developing them as a club, and their recent lack of achievements.

Wenger will be - and should be - seen as a revolutionary for Arsenal Football Club. But I'm not sure how you can see past their consistent failures in recent years. This isn't one bad patch. It is over 6 years without a trophy and more alarmingly for them, they don't look like winning one anytime soon. They've seriously regressed and as much as Wenger should be praised for what he's done for the club, you can't just magically look past him when they're struggling. Consistent stubbornness and poor signings - those are his responsibilities, not to mention an insane loyalty in mediocre youngsters.

Thank you Mr Wenger for helping to deliver some superb football to watch for the netural, but for Arsenal, a parting in the ways is long overdue.

Who would you have replace him?

I've thought about it several times, and while I'll admit my knowledge of foreign coaches is somewhat limited, I can't picture anyone to come in and do a good job.

Where would Wenger go from here? Technical role with French National Squad?

Think someone mentioned PSG on here which seems a good shout. National squad as well would be viable. As for who to replace him - not a clue!

Has to be the main thing in Wenger's favour for not getting booted out tbh. Fear of the unknown, as to who might come in. Can't help but feel there'll be a good couple of seasons of transition where they still won't challenge. Will they be patient enough for that?

Happy I'm not the only one who can't think of anyone! Are the coaches out there really that poor at the moment?

http://thetreble.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/1278926124-sam_allardyce_laughing_.jpg

I can think of someone who'll probably be available soon.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3493/unledkef.png

The issue with Wenger and Arsenal is separating what he has done for them in developing them as a club, and their recent lack of achievements.

Wenger will be - and should be - seen as a revolutionary for Arsenal Football Club. But I'm not sure how you can see past their consistent failures in recent years. This isn't one bad patch. It is over 6 years without a trophy and more alarmingly for them, they don't look like winning one anytime soon. They've seriously regressed and as much as Wenger should be praised for what he's done for the club, you can't just magically look past him when they're struggling. Consistent stubbornness and poor signings - those are his responsibilities, not to mention an insane loyalty in mediocre youngsters.

Thank you Mr Wenger for helping to deliver some superb football to watch for the netural, but for Arsenal, a parting in the ways is long overdue.

Disagree massively. Arsenal only fell out of the top two (Man Utd and Arsenal) when Abramovich came along. Since then, he's over-achieved with the resources he's had available to him. He almost always has. That's not to say he's been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and his reluctant to recognise/inability to mend their defensive issues is a massive black mark against his name and an area where he does not cover himself in glory - but if you weigh that against his record of competing in and around the top four consistently for the six years given the heavy-spending bit hitters which have emerged around them, it's a blemish.

Another manager may have come in and sorted their defence, but they would not have got the best of players, prolonged and nurtured the careers the same was Wenger has been able to, much less get them playing as attractive football.

Arsenal aren't a poor club, of course, but if you compare their spending to Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/Man City(/Spurs to a lesser extent) you realise how remarkable what he's doing is in the broad scheme of things. They've had a dire start to this season (and didn't end last season too pretty, either!) but to write them off from being in and around the top 6 is as silly as saying Newcastle will certainly be in and around the top 6. [Not that you personally have, Neil]. At the very least, deserves the benefit of the doubt to be given until he has a poor league finish IMO.

The no-trophy issue is an interesting issue - and I'd say they've come close to getting trophies a couple of times, but that freak Birmingham match aside - they've generally been competing with teams with far superior resources.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wenger should make the move onto the international stage.

I'm not sure it'd really be to his strengths though. Maybe if it was something similar to what Houllier was doing with France, or working at the Clairefontaine Academy.

Disagree massively. Arsenal only fell out of the top two (Man Utd and Arsenal) when Abramovich came along. Since then, he's over-achieved with the resources he's had available to him. He almost always has. That's not to say he's been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and his reluctant to recognise/inability to mend their defensive issues is a massive black mark against his name and an area where he does not cover himself in glory - but if you weigh that against his record of competing in and around the top four consistently for the six years given the heavy-spending bit hitters which have emerged around them, it's a blemish.

Another manager may have come in and sorted their defence, but they would not have got the best of players, prolonged and nurtured the careers the same was Wenger has been able to, much less get them playing as attractive football.

Arsenal aren't a poor club, of course, but if you compare their spending to Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/Man City(/Spurs to a lesser extent) you realise how remarkable what he's doing is in the broad scheme of things. They've had a dire start to this season (and didn't end last season too pretty, either!) but to write them off from being in and around the top 6 is as silly as saying Newcastle will certainly be in and around the top 6. [Not that you personally have, Neil]. At the very least, deserves the benefit of the doubt to be given until he has a poor league finish IMO.

The no-trophy issue is an interesting issue - and they've come to getting trophies a couple of times, but that freak Birmingham match aside - they've generally been competing with teams with far superior resources.

Totally agree with all of this.

Everybody seems to think Wenger is the one who is being stubborn and doesn't want to change his ways, but wasn't it reported this summer he was at loggerheads with the board about the level of ambition/investment? Apparently he felt the club's wage structure didn't allow it to compete with Chelsea and the Man U clubs for the signings he wanted to bring in, and he wasn't willing to pay over the odds for players like Cahill whom he perceived as overpriced and overrated.

It appears to me that for some reason or another Arsenal have been extremely frugal in recent seasons despite vastly increasing their crowds and probably revenue, and in today's football world you can only go so far without significant investment.

Perhaps Wenger's "problem" is that he would rather develop players he believes have the potential to be world class but are not quite ready yet (and get poached once they are) than to bring in established players who are decent Premiership players but not quite good enough in his mind to take the club forward. If given the choice to spend more and have a real go at the Premiership title I don't doubt for a second he would take it, and I don't think there would be many better managers to make it happen too...

Do arsenal fans not realise the only reason they are not mediocre is because of him.  Where were they when he joined?

Nowhere is the answer, we where better and higher (in league etc) than you before wenger joined, you wont see us asking for pardew to be sacked if he gives us champions league football for more than a decade but fails to win trophies because he transformed our club.

You have a bigger stadium than spurs and a bigger fanbase.

Why is that?

Fkin Wenger thats why. (and a great board which was assembled largely after wenger joined, probably due to wengers success)

They'd just finished 5th, level on points with 4th.

PMSL - cracking Tucking that.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What's

http://benkammy.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/phil-brown-tache.jpg

up to these days?

His mouth reminds me of this:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ACKEIfhRvtUW/Vacuum-Cleaner-Nozzle-6-.jpg

:o

Everybody seems to think Wenger is the one who is being stubborn and doesn't want to change his ways, but wasn't it reported this summer he was at loggerheads with the board about the level of ambition/investment? Apparently he felt the club's wage structure didn't allow it to compete with Chelsea and the Man U clubs for the signings he wanted to bring in, and he wasn't willing to pay over the odds for players like Cahill whom he perceived as overpriced and overrated.

It appears to me that for some reason or another Arsenal have been extremely frugal in recent seasons despite vastly increasing their crowds and probably revenue, and in today's football world you can only go so far without significant investment.

Perhaps Wenger's "problem" is that he would rather develop players he believes have the potential to be world class but are not quite ready yet (and get poached once they are) than to bring in established players who are decent Premiership players but not quite good enough in his mind to take the club forward. If given the choice to spend more and have a real go at the Premiership title I don't doubt for a second he would take it, and I don't think there would be many better managers to make it happen too...

Pretty much agree, I think he has sadly failed to develop a great crop which has led to this drop, and with City's muscle forcing way in there's some inevitability to the small spenders eventually losing out to clubs with big money, and particulaly since the massive influx of money hasn't really lead to the best league in the world, and one has to suspect the bubble will burst sometime. TV revenues are going to fall sometime due to the recession limiting peoples ability to pay for Sky, and what happens when Sheik Mansour gets bored with it?

Think someone mentioned PSG on here which seems a good shout. National squad as well would be viable. As for who to replace him - not a clue!

I'm sure I've read articles in the last couple of years mentioning Rémi Garde and Dragan Stojkovic as coaches who had been earmarked to take over from Wenger when he retires.