Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Houllier's transfer record is absolutely abysmal in English football - compare it to Mark Hughes (who i'm not overly excited about either and it's ludicrous).

Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Sinima Pongolle (and that other lad who came with him)

Smicer

Cisse

Traore

He wasted so much on those players as well, they weren't cheap buys. He made allardyce look like a genius!

Can someone please prove me wrong with a list of all the decent players he brought to Liverpool (under 35, so Litmanen and McCallister don't count!) and kept there (failing to secure anelka when they had him on loan, another error). I'm genuinely asking here, as i'd like to have my mind changed if it's likely he'll come in

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

With all the work he put in helping develop Clairefontaine I think Houllier would be perfect for the criteria the club have set.

I can see him running the club and Shearer taking charge on the training ground everyday, that's if they work together that is.

But what about the style of play?! Did you guys not watch Houllier's Liverpool team?!

Houllier's Lyon looked brilliant though.

no. Le Guen's Lyon looked brilliant and Houllier inherited that.

So Houillers Liverpool won the Champions league, Benitez inherited that?

i disagree that only great managers can combine winning and stylish play-its great players that really matter. The best passing teams are those with the best technical players.A good Manager can get more out of this squad but there will be no challenge for the top 4 until we invest in the playing squad.

Also the new Manager wont have time to spend on the youth set-up-that should be a Director of Football's job.

Managers who prefer that type of football will better identify the players who excel at playing this way though surely?

Houllier's transfer record is absolutely abysmal in English football - compare it to Mark Hughes (who i'm not overly excited about either and it's ludicrous).

Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Smicer

Cisse

Traore

He wasted so much on those players as well, they weren't cheap buys. He made allardyce look like a genius!

Can someone please prove me wrong with a list of all the decent players he brought to Liverpool (under 35, so Litmanen and McCallister don't count!) and kept there (failing to secure anelka when they had him on loan, another error). I'm genuinely asking here, as i'd like to have my mind changed if it's likely he'll come in

Diouf too :lol:

Houllier and Thompson didn't last long a Liverpool

Didn't it?

Is Mick not thinking of Houllier/Evans?

Maybe, there was no number one with them two was there? Evans was manager and the Liverpool board brought Houllier in to work with him as a joint manager, that was never going to work tbf, it would be like bringing in Houllier to work with Allardyce if he was still here.

I can't see what problem Shearer would have working under him, it's a great learning experience and he'll know that the foundations are down for him to step in when Houllier retires or moves upstairs.

Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Smicer

Cisse

Traore

Le Tallec came in with Pongolle.

As for Smicer, even though he was widely considered a failure, surely a goal in the second-half and the winning penalty in the Champions League final made him worth the money alone?

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

With all the work he put in helping develop Clairefontaine I think Houllier would be perfect for the criteria the club have set.

I can see him running the club and Shearer taking charge on the training ground everyday, that's if they work together that is.

But what about the style of play?! Did you guys not watch Houllier's Liverpool team?!

Err no... Lyon won the league for 3 or 4 seasons prior to Houllier's arrival, by some stretch. He inherited a title winning team. Benitez did not inherit a team that had previously won the champions league!

Didn't it?

Maybe, there was no number one with them two was there? Evans was manager and the Liverpool board brought Houllier in to work with him as a joint manager, that was never going to work tbf, it would be like bringing in Houllier to work with Allardyce if he was still here.

I can't see what problem Shearer would have working under him, it's a great learning experience and he'll know that the foundations are down for him to step in when Houllier retires or moves upstairs.

Right on the first bit, and I agree on the second. Wonderful.

By the way ... what evidence do we have that Shearer will not be happy to be a number 2?

You hear it all the time from everyone except him. Is he really that arrogant? If so why?

He's never managed anyone before, and I really can't see why he would be against starting off as the number 2 to an older experienced guy like Houllier who he would know for certain that he would eventually take over from. Especially as he would be jumping straight into premier league management, which even Roy Keane didn't do, with no contacts or anything.

I think we ought to give Shearer a bit more credit. I think he would be happy with that.

Alan Shearer is a great personality even when he does nowt. He's one of those people who has a massive aura around them regardless. He's the kind of person who would have stood out in any line of work had he not been a pro athlete. I think it's something he was born with. Shearer simply IS the way he is. Dont think it has anything to do with arrogance, or him being a cunt, or a nice fella.

Guest Pavel Is A Geordie

Martin Jol maybe?

Played decent attacking football with Spurs, focused on youth, bought plenty of young English players for the future and speaks English (albeit in a shexhy Dutcsch achhhent). Admittedly lacks experience in the Champions League, but worth a shout surely?

Wouldn't be too unhappy with Houllier.

Anelka was average when at Liverpool, i wouldn't of paid £13m for him either.

He said no at the last minute to a £9m Bowyer as he felt there was something wrong with him.

Smicer help win Liverpool the CL likes so many of Houlliers signings, i think that goal was worth the money.

Cisse he never got to play, at the time Cisse was shit hot, Rafa and injuries ruined that one.

Pongolle is a great player, made a profit IIRC.

Taore, Cheyrou were sold at a minimal loss.

Lost the lot on Diao though.

Good signings:

Henchoz

Hyypia

Hamman

Heskey

All i can think of right now without doing a google.

I can't help but feel that a Shearer as manager and Houllier as DOF would be a good balance.  However it would be important for the roles to be defined.  I don't see Houllier as the type of DOF that does all the signings, i see it as he will be firstly a mentor to Shearer, working very closely with him for advice on tactical decisions, secondly he will develop our youth development as he is very good at this apparently.  Thirdly and finally we can cash in Houllier's name in football, especially in French football to perhaps attract some players (something that Shearer's name might be able to do as well).

This was Shearer can be incharge of the signing of players, motiviation and training (perhaps his mate Newell who has management experience would be a good Assistant). 

I'm not a football expert, far from it, but my heart beats a bit faster at the idea.

Didn't it?

Exactly!

Completely different situation where Liverpool obviously didn't feel like Evans was doing enough and so brought in Houllier to 'support' him. That was just crappy.

This way however, they both come into it at the same time to work together as a team.

It would be a great next step for Shearer to learn while having a chance to make a contribution.

Houllier is also very experienced now and has achieved pretty much everything and so I feel he will be more open to this. He really doesn't have much else to prove to anyone and so he will be more willing to play this role. I think he will be more receptive to Shearer and won't feel it would have to be his way and his way only.

Err no... Lyon won the league for 3 or 4 seasons prior to Houllier's arrival, by some stretch. He inherited a title winning team. Benitez did not inherit a team that had previously won the champions league!

But it was Houllier who got them in the Champions League in the first place, apart from Luis Garcia and Alonso the team that won it were all there under him.

If we're talking dream tickets that may be realistic (slightly) and fit in with what the chairman has said, then Houllier as manager to the end of the season and then as DOF with Scolari as manager after the Euros sounds good to me. Scolari wants to play the correct type of football, his teams also have good defence. He has experience, but not of the premiership (and not of club euro) but Houllier could give him all the help he needs without stifling scolari's tactical ideas.

If we had this combination managing us, i think there would be some genuine looks of fear and envy throughout the premiership. It would be like the sudden intake of breath when one sees a dark sillhouette of a man walking up their stairs at night time with a knife-like shape in his hands, only to find that their husband/son has come home late with a half-empty can and a newspaper. (in other words, fear of unknown potential, suspected to be possibly devastating!)

I can't help but feel that a Shearer as manager and Houllier as DOF would be a good balance.  However it would be important for the roles to be defined.  I don't see Houllier as the type of DOF that does all the signings, i see it as he will be firstly a mentor to Shearer, working very closely with him for advice on tactical decisions, secondly he will develop our youth development as he is very good at this apparently.  Thirdly and finally we can cash in Houllier's name in football, especially in French football to perhaps attract some players (something that Shearer's name might be able to do as well).

This was Shearer can be incharge of the signing of players, motiviation and training (perhaps his mate Newell who has management experience would be a good Assistant). 

I'm not a football expert, far from it, but my heart beats a bit faster at the idea.

Excellent shout

But it was Houllier who got them in the Champions League in the first place, apart from Luis Garcia and Alonso the team that won it were all there under him.

And Benny fucked up selling thier one unpredictable player Garcia imo. Now they've got Kuyt (running in treacle) and missing the target instead.

So if Houllier inherited a class Lyon side who played great football from Le Guen and kept them playing great football despite losing some of their most important players, that should stand in his favour shouldn't it? He didn't inherit Le Guen's class Lyon side and try to get them playing defensive football.

Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Smicer

Cisse

Traore

In

Date  Player              From              Fee

July  Vegard Heggem        Rosenborg        £3.5m

Nov  Jean-Michel Ferri    Istanbulspor      £1.5m

Jan  Frode Kippe          Lillestrom        £700,000

Rigobert Song        Salernitana      £2.72m

Feb  Djimi Traore        Laval            £550,000

May  Sami Hyypia          Willem II        £2.6m

June  Titi Camara          Marseille        £2.6m

Stephane Henchoz    Blackburn        £3.75m

Sander Westerveld    Vitesse Arnhem    £4m

July  Vladimir Smicer      Lens              £3.75m

Erik Meijer          Bayer Leverkusen  Free

Dietmar Hamann      Newcastle        £8m

Mar  Emile Heskey        Leicester        £11m

June  Markus Babbel        Bayern Munich    Free

Bernard Diomede      Auxerre          £3m

July  Pegguy Arphexad      Leicester        Free

Gary McAllister      Coventry          Free

Nick Barmby          Everton          £6m

Aug  Christian Ziege      Middlesbrough    £5.5m

Sept  Gregory Vignal      Montpellier      £500,000

Nov  Danny Sjoland        West Ham          £1m

Dec  Igor Biscan          Dynamo Zagreb    £5.5m

Jan  Jari Litmanen        Barcelona        Free

May -

July  John Arne Riise      Monaco            £4m

Milan Baros          Banik Ostrava    £3.4m

Aug  Chris Kirkland      Coventry          £6m A

Jerzy Dudek          Feyenoord        £4.85m

Nothing really jumps off the page at you.

Sounds good to me too, Houlier as Dof/adviser with Shearer as manager.