Newcastle United 4 - 1 Stoke City - 16/01/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

Song name needed:

Kevin Keegan on the bench, Alan Gowling, Terry hibbert... an N, an E, a double-U, C....

Just search for Harry Palmer, or Toon Army Tunes i think it was on, apologies if this has already been answered later on

Harrys Geordie Melody its called on Toon Army Tunes, if its the one i think it is

Thanks mate, had a memory block.

I actually thought the Eustace tackle was worse... That said, who cares, we won 4-1, with 10 men, fucking ace!

Surely it will be Butt and Zog in CM against Bolton? Or is it more than a 1 match ban for his latest batch of yellows?

I think Keegan will get the best out of Milner. He's a bit Gillespie-esque.

Seen his goal, but how did he play tonight?

To be honest, when we get the trio of Duff N'Zogbia and Milner roaming, we look outstanding, especially on the counter.

I actually thought the Eustace tackle was worse... That said, who cares, we won 4-1, with 10 men, fucking ace!

Surely it will be Butt and Zog in CM against Bolton? Or is it more than a 1 match ban for his latest batch of yellows?

2 match for 10 cards, i think.

He gets a motor home or a speedboat for 15.....

Firstly Stoke were shit, but we went out and stuffed them. Zog milner duff (even emre before he started karate) played really well. Owen and the Duke did well up front. Even Carr had a decent game Taylor and Cacapa were solid and Enrique played some quality cross field passes, only think he got beaten once.

Given 7 - Nowt to do really

Carr 7 - Nothing amazing but better than he was last time I saw him.

Taylor 7 - Solid not really much to do.

Cacapa 7 - Great header, hope injury isnt to serious.

Enrique 7 - Awesome range of passing, solid defending.

Milner 7 - Great run and finish, crossing was a bit iffy at times but good game.

Zog 9 - Brilliant, great quick feet good passing and tracking back.

Emre 6 - Did well from the start shouldnt of reacted but he did.

Duff 8 - Really good movement linked up well with enrique, much more like the Duff of old.

Viduka 7 - Some great touches and his hold up play was very good as well.

Owen 8 - Actually looked like he was bothered for a change, did well dropping wide whne emre went off as well.

Subs

Roz 7 - Some good interceptions, no major screw ups.

Lualua 7 - Didnt really create much but did well tracking back and made an execellent tackle.

Carroll 7 - Didnt really do much but didnt get much of the ball

Yea I like the number 7, but who care Keegan's back  :celb:

I was at the game and dare I say it - Carr actually had a pretty good game. Zog is not a centre midfielder, but overall and bloody good performance.

If the ball was passed / switched / released just that little bit quicker it could have been so much better - but with Keegan's focus on attack I'm sure that'll come.

Exciting times ahead!

Milner was very good tonight - as were Duff and Charlie. I know it was only Stoke we were playing, but you can only beat what's put infront of you. I thought it was a good response by the players, after last Saturday.

I reckon we are gonna be struggling for CM's, for the Bolton game. Emre, Butt and Smith all banned. Roz in there with Charlie, perhaps ?

Milner was very good tonight - as were Duff and Charlie. I know it was only Stoke we were playing, but you can only beat what's put infront of you. I thought it was a good response by the players, after last Saturday.

I reckon we are gonna be struggling for CM's, for the Bolton game. Emre, Butt and Smith all banned. Roz in there with Charlie, perhaps ?

As long as we don't pretend decent performances against shite makes the likes of Carr etc good enough.......

Still can't stomach the idea of Roz inthe midfield, after he was found so badly wantng in defence.

Just got back....

Mental couple of hours since 4:30 like...head is still spinning.

What a club...totally mental, suprising, daft, loveable and infuriating at times...wouldnt change it for the world haha.

Anyhow...

Zog was amazing tonight.  Tracked back, provided depth, but most importantly went at them.  MOTM for sure, and that should be HIS position.

Owen had a good game, tracking back when Emre was sent off...to be honest, look dubious when i was at the game...totally bizarre decision, but saw it again on SSN, think Uriah made the correct decision then...shame about pretty much all the other decisions.  C*nt.

Anyhow...KK...alot of work to do...but more of the same Vs Bolton...athankyou!

I think Keegan will get the best out of Milner. He's a bit Gillespie-esque.

Seen his goal, but how did he play tonight?

Milner played well - but again not releasing / crossing the ball quick enough. I think you are right though, keegan likes his wingers and will get the best out of him. I just hope he plays Zog on the wing cause I thought he wasn't very commanding in centre mid tonight - don't get me wrong zog play well but he's definately not a centre mid fielder.

Don't usually bother with match reports, but I've read a couple of good un's tonight.

Martin Samuel in the Times is particularly good and keeps up the positive mood around the place, and Henry Winter does much of the same in the Telegraph. For all that we say the media are against us, there are some writers out there (not necessarily Toon fans, either) who would love it if Keegan could do the business here.

Given - 6 - decent enough, tho poorly positioned when stoke lobbed him, only to see ball bounce just wide. suggestion of the same for their goal.

Carr - 6- kept lawrence pretty quiet

Cacapa - 8 - dominated stoke's striker, perfect glancing header from zoggy's corner

Taylor - 8 - solid

Enrique - 7 - strong performance, used possession well

Milner - 8 - quiet first half, looked dangerous on the break in the 2nd, super goal

Emre - 6 - started the game very brightly, silly challenge for the red, tho perhaps ref was a tad harsh

N'Zogbia - 9 - class, very mature midfield performance, tracked back, ran with the ball, threaded through balls, always available to receive passes. one of his best games in a newcastle shirt.

Duff - 8 - mesmerised his stoke opponent with mazy runs, sometimes lacked the pace to go on the outside but was just as dangerous cutting in. well taken finish.

Viduka - 6 - struggled a bit at times and generally had two men on him when he received the ball, fought harder than usual.

Owen - 7.5 - very crisp performance, didnt get much luck playing on the shoulder so dropped deep, especially when down to 10 men, to help us move the ball about. poacher's goal.

Rozehnal 7 - played a bt like a sweeper chasing down stoke's runners.

Carroll - 6 - didnt have a great deal to do, some of his first touches were a tad slack, imposed himself when fighting for aerial balls

Lua Lua - 6 - started well, played in a canny through ball for his first touch on the ball, tho let stoke pour down our right too much

As long as we don't pretend decent performances against s**** makes the likes of Carr etc good enough.......

Still can't stomach the idea of Roz inthe midfield, after he was found so badly wantng in defence.

Been a bad day all round for you Monkey eh ?

Guest Ridzuan

I did not get the chance to watch the match yet but its certainly is a good result especially after coming off from the 6-0 drubbing at the weekend especially with Owen scoring.The only negatives would be Emre's sending off,its the last thing we want to see happening ahead of our game against Bolton this weekend.

Great game, only stoke of corse but the 1st game we looked out of our depth against them today with 10 men we outclassed them all over the pitch. how great was it to see our team line up without a heap of defensive midfielders!!

N'zogbia man of the match!

Fucking mint. As I was saying the other day, we have good players and getting the spark back into the club is half the battle - Keegan's presence alone managed that. The players looked like a massive weight had been lifted off their shoulders for the first time in a long time.

Only Stoke it may be, but this time last year we got slaughtered by a team in the same position when we had 10 men. Tonight we simply stepped up a gear upon losing a man and played some superb stuff second half. We've played worse teams than Stoke this season and looked woeful.

Don't usually bother with match reports, but I've read a couple of good un's tonight.

Martin Samuel in the Times is particularly good and keeps up the positive mood around the place, and Henry Winter does much of the same in the Telegraph. For all that we say the media are against us, there are some writers out there (not necessarily Toon fans, either) who would love it if Keegan could do the business here.

Strange to see (and I know it was only Stoke) such praise lavished on our lot.

Liked this bit

Pumped up with anger, Emre went looking for revenge, and launched himself into Eustace, flying through the air like a slightly plump pigeon.

from Winter's piece. :lol:

I've just back from them atch too, only my 2nd EVER toon match - last was in the 36k and it was fantastic for me  :celb:

MINT match and a great buzz around the stadium tonight!

We destroyed them from start to finish, special mentions for Duff, Zog and Milner who were immense. All could've had MotM.

Everyone played well. I was so pissed off when Emre was sent off because from my position it looked alright and never worthy of a straight red but I'd need to see replays of course

The work starts here Kev and we're all behind you!

(god I've lost my voice after shouting all night, hah)

What a day :) Was really sceptical paying £20 after the first game but very happy to have done now!

Atmosphere was class from start to finish, a real buzz about the place again and the players all looked like the shackles of long ball football had been released and they were allowed to play expressive football again.

I was in SJH Middle Tier so couldn't really see the first goal, saw the good work from Viduka and it got bundled in, poachers goal I guess from Owen. The Emre red had everybody up in arms because from where we were it looked like a cheeky trip to stop a counter attack, so when it was red...well Uriah was even less popular. Having seen it again, it was a stupid thing to do with Rennie Henry as the ref so I'm not overly surprised it was red, there's certainly a case for it. I think everybody feared the worst following this but fair play to Pearson, he left the 2 up front and went to 3 narrow in midfield and it paid off. Getting the 2nd so quickly obviously helped.

Duff, Milner and N'Zogbia, as Willow the Wisp said, could all have got  MotM - all absolutely brilliant, basically played with the freedom of the pitch, and it always seemed to work. Stoke never seemed to overrun them either, which probably says more about them than it does about us. Milner's goal was well taken, and Duff's was a lovely counter attack, something we haven't done enough in recent times. He busted a gut to get there and took it so so well. Zog got Man of the match officially and I can't really argue with that.

Owen looked better than he has but still looked a bit off the pace - he doesn't really seem sharp to flick ons, maybe it's the whole lost his pace argument but he just doesn't seem to see them coming anymore. Carr and Enrique did well as what effectively was wing backs, Carr is still fatter than holy hell but did a good job. Shame we didn't get the clean sheet but it's quite fitting really, and it had to be that tit Lawrence who scored...

But of course the best part of my day was my 30 second grumpy conversation with PM about how much of a terrible match it would be. I've never been happier to be wrong :)  (That was before we knew Keegan had been appointed!)