Dennis Wise interviewed on NUFC.co.uk (page 23)

Guest Toon83
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's the number 2 going to be?

Terry Mac again?

Does it matter? Pearson, Terry Mac and Steve Round are all going to contribute, I'd be surprised if he named a No.2 I think he'll just leave it as it is.

Why oh Wise!?

I can't see the logic in his appointment. I was hoping if we appointed a Director of Football that he would be someone who was a deep thinker on the game, someone respected throughout the game, and someone who had built up a huge network of contacts within the game, IMO Wise fails on all 3 counts.

His appointment smacks of jobs for the boys with that twat Kemsley advising Mike Ashley.

Obviously we're not going to agree. You're right about the other clubs having better scouting set ups and getting players from all over the world but if you look at Arsenal they sign a lot of French players, Liverpool Spanish and Man U Portuguese. That's not coincidence, they just have a lot of contacts there who they can trust in those countries! Also good to have these ties to help players settle at the club.

look at how long it has been since queiroz worked in portugal and after an initial flurry rafa eased on the spaniards (even i could spot torres as a talent. right about wenger and french players but not just french he just has a very good knack of finding talent.

you're part right about the advisors as some are like that,as are a lot of ex players who talk s**** about the game and know less that you or me (ever listened to steve claridge ?).

agree with you about wise personal decision to move being slightly odd.

Doesn't really matter how long someone has been out the country as long as they have contacts there. I imagine queiroz could ring a few people in Portugal, people he knows and find out what is happening any emerging players. . Also imagine if Keegan was working abroad in say Italy, he would have a much better knowledge contacts in the UK compared to his Italian counterparts on emerging players in England. Anway just my thinking on how it works.

Also and this is not directed at you, another point I'd make on the role of advisers is how much different is the role the new guys are playing to that of Stretford under Shepard? Is this not just all about repackaging a role and presenting it in another light? Im just very dubious of people who have never played or managed a club being so high up the chain of command!

People might think I'm going over the top, but I'm pig sick of saying give people a chance/time! I'm all for that but I'd want them to have a track record to go off. I really think we should be doing much better than we are! I really thought things had changed under the new regime but everything that has happened has just left me feeling really deflated. As I said in my first post, if Ashley had got his way our manager would be Redknapp with Wise thrown in! I just hope that who ever comes in as the No.2 to Keegan has something about him.

Why oh Wise!?

I can't see the logic in his appointment. I was hoping if we appointed a Director of Football that he would be someone who was a deep thinker on the game, someone respected throughout the game, and someone who had built up a huge network of contacts within the game, IMO Wise fails on all 3 counts.

His appointment smacks of jobs for the boys with that twat Kemsley advising Mike Ashley.

Where's the link between Wise and Kemsley?

This strikes me as strange as Keegan has always been able to pick a good player.

Nobody has a 100% record but Sellars, Cole, Albert, Lee, Ginola, Gillespie, Beresford, Bracewell and countless others all came in from nowhere and did fantastic jobs for the club. This for me was always one of Keegan's strong points, and to have players foisted upon him by men upstairs scares me a bit.

What are we leaving Kev to do - Sort the tactics out on match day? "Go out there and score shitloads!" :lol:

the funniest thing about this is that its got the mackems in "hate overdrive".

They hate "the scum" and they also hate "dirty little cockney wanker Dennis Wise".

Therefore their poor brains can't fathom the mathematical equation of hate+hate = enough hate to go on a murderous rampage and are instead just foaming at their slack-jawed mouths.

.....if you get what I mean.

Wow ... having read the article in the Times I am very impressed with the setup.

Wise's role isn't even that major as he will be working for Vetere and Jimenez basically.

The major catches we have made here are clearly the appointments of both Jimenez and Vitere who both appear to have major contacts in the game, which will be vital for us.

Also the fact that jimenez will now be in charge of closing the deal on signing players we will be in a far stronger position when it comes to getting players in. Mort clearly isn't the most experienced at this and he could do with some help.

This is brilliant guys it really is. Here's hoping it all pans out.

It looks like we will definitely be after some big time players this summer :thup:

This strikes me as strange as Keegan has always been able to pick a good player.

Nobody has a 100% record but Sellars, Cole, Albert, Lee, Ginola, Gillespie, Beresford, Bracewell and countless others all came in from nowhere and did fantastic jobs for the club. This for me was always one of Keegan's strong points, and to have players foisted upon him by men upstairs scares me a bit.

What are we leaving Kev to do - Sort the tactics out on match day? "Go out there and score shitloads!" :lol:

hopefully it wont be "foisted" but more people covering more ground to find the players with keegan having overall say regarding the first team

I'm pretty certain Kev's suggestions will still be taken into account and discussed thoroughly before a final decision is made.

However, in addition to this we have people out there whose sole job it is to find the best players they can, and they can then discuss these players with Keegan too.

Win, win situation in my opinion.

Why oh Wise!?

His appointment smacks of jobs for the boys with that t*** Kemsley advising Mike Ashley.

There isn't a strong one, they simply all know one another going back to Wise's Chelsea days when Jimenez was heavily involved. 

Relating to the original post, not so much jobs for the boys as jobs for the ones you trust.  Nor would I describe Kemsley as a t***, ruthless c*** maybe, just like Ashley.  Neither got seriously wealthy by being nice, two peas in a pod.

Why oh Wise!?

His appointment smacks of jobs for the boys with that t*** Kemsley advising Mike Ashley.

There isn't a strong one, they simply all know one another going back to Wise's Chelsea days when Jimenez was heavily involved. 

Relating to the original post, not so much jobs for the boys as jobs for the ones you trust.  Nor would I describe Kemsley as a t***, ruthless c*** maybe, just like Ashley.  Neither got seriously wealthy by being nice, two peas in a pod.

My swear filter is off. Why am I seeing stars?

Overall KK must have the final say on first team signings, everybody else must search the globe for young talent.  Then KK can cast his eye over the youth players and decide if they are good enough for his first team or not.

Not as strange as I first thought, Jimenez and Vetere also seem to have key roles, and also a good knowledge of world football. I think Wise might prove to be a decent appointment as well, being young and fresh rather than already jaded and 'been there done that'.

We'll see what happens, but I'm more positive after reading the Times website this morning.

Move for Wise had Keegan’s blessingJan 29 2008

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

DENNIS Wise’s arrival at Newcastle United will receive the full backing of manager Kevin Keegan as the former England international’s role will see him have no influence on first-team affairs.

Wise will take up a newly-created position at St James’s Park this week, in which he will be expected to oversee improvements in the club’s Academy – as well as help in identifying potential transfer targets – and the increasingly time-consuming business of player contract negotiations.

But the former Leeds United manager, who has quit Elland Road to become part of a new management structure under chairman Chris Mort, will not hinder Keegan’s decision-making or impinge on his power.

Keegan will retain control of first team recruitment and will have sole responsibility for developing and running the first team squad after he agreed to the appointment of Wise during the initial talks which led to his return as manager a fortnight ago.

There were some suggestions yesterday that Wise’s arrival could undermine Keegan, but The Journal understands the appointment has been frequently discussed between manager and chairman and that there is no split on the thinking behind the decision. Indeed, Mort hinted at the Press conference at which Keegan was unveiled as Newcastle manager for a second time earlier this month that such an appointment would be made.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

He said: “I think it’s a bigger business and we’re a bigger club than when he was here last. We don’t want to overburden him with responsibilities. We’re not going to say, ‘Kevin – go and sort out the Academy or go and sort out international recruitment’. We wouldn’t expect Kevin to have that on his plate.

“What I’ve said to Kevin is that it’s his call in terms of who comes in. Some managers have a reputation for wanting to bring their own people in, but Kevin said he wanted to come and see what there is. He might want to work with those guys.

“We’re going to leave it up to Kevin. We’re going to be guided by him and we’ll be comfortable with whatever he decides.”

And it appears as though Keegan is satisfied with developments which mean he will be able to concentrate on the first team, while Wise deals with more general matters involved in the running of the football side of the club.

Although increasingly resigned to the fact he will not be able to sign any new players before the close of the transfer

window on Thursday night, Keegan hinted he would soon receive some help in the recruitment process.

“I don’t see the need to panic,” said Keegan, who saw chief target Jonathan Woodgate complete his move to Tottenham Hotspur yesterday despite a late bid from Newcastle last week.

“When we get the players back from the African Nations (Cup) we will have the sort of size of squad you need to succeed in the Premier League. We’ve got to get through to that point.

“This squad is the best I’ve had and I mean that 100%. Bringing players in to better these, you have to be more selective.

“We’re looking at both ends of the market, three or four certainties (who can play straight away in the Premier League) and three or four young chances. That’s what the club are trying to do and I think you’ll see that by some of the things that are being done.”

Wise has been one of the most colourful characters of English football’s modern era, as well as one of its most unpopular during an illustrious playing career with Wimbledon and Chelsea. The 41-year-old has a mixed record as a manager, taking Millwall to an FA Cup Final in 2004 before losing his job as a result of poor league form in the Championship.

He was appointed Swindon manager in May 2006, but left when he was given the chance to become Leeds boss just five months later.

He could not save the Yorkshire club from relegation to League One last year, but has successfully established them as promotion candidates this season despite a 15-point penalty for going into administration.

However, Wise is believed to have become increasingly weary of day-to-day football management and was keen to take on a different type of role.

Leeds chairman Ken Bates said: “I wasn’t surprised. There had been a story a while ago which we ignored, but it mentioned the person who engineered Gus Poyet’s move (to Tottenham) from the club.

“Newcastle approached us last Friday and after we got the assurances we wanted I told Dennis he could talk to them. He rang me and told me he would like to take it and in football you don’t stand in the way of people who want to better themselves.

“He apologised for giving us such short notice but said it was too good an opportunity to miss. He’s leaving the club on a stronger footing than he found it when he came here.”

Newcastle are also looking to recruit the former Rushden and Diamonds youth team coach Jeff Vetere as their European scout after he performed a similar role for Charlton Athletic and, most recently, Spanish giants Real Madrid.

The new senior management team could also include businessman Tony Jimenez, an acquaintance of owner Mike Ashley, as Newcastle look to recruit experts in all football-related matters.

Guest criminalz

seems that the board is moving forward. Looking for youngers players to nuture than during Sam time, looking for past prime players to revive their career.

"This squad is the best I’ve had and I mean that 100%. Bringing players in to better these, you have to be more selective.

“We’re looking at both ends of the market, three or four certainties (who can play straight away in the Premier League) and three or four young chances. That’s what the club are trying to do and I think you’ll see that by some of the things that are being done.”

Hmmmmm so when do we get these 3 or 4 premier players kev?

I can't see us getting anyone this window, but that doesn't mean Kev should be criticised for that aim. He only had a couple of weeks... and premier leage teams normally don't let their quality players move on in the middle of the season.

Summer will be very interesting.

On teletext they are trying to suggest that he knew nothing about wise coming in. There are not quotes or anything, it's just the predictable media trying to make something out of nothing.

On teletext they are trying to suggest that he knew nothing about wise coming in. There are not quotes or anything, it's just the predictable media trying to make something out of nothing.

His quotes in the Journal article are reassuring

"This squad is the best I’ve had and I mean that 100%. Bringing players in to better these, you have to be more selective.

Hmmmmm so when do we get these 3 or 4 premier players kev?

when he said "certainties" he meant as in they are certainties to fit straight in if we can get them, not we are certainties to sign them.