Dennis Wise interviewed on NUFC.co.uk (page 23)

Guest Toon83
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest elbee909

I just think a massive deal is being made out of staff that aren't necessarily "Keegan's" hirings being appointed, when he agreed to join an organisation full of staff that he didn't appoint but has no qualms about working with.

However, Keegan - who is also thought to be close to handing Newcastle legend Alan Shearer a role at St James' Park - confesses he is in the dark regarding Wise's arrival.

"I am reluctant to tell you all I know as I really do not know anything." Keegan told reporters ahead of Newcastle's Premier League clash with Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday.

keegan should've been informed beforehand, i think?!

If it doesn't directly affect his role I don't see why he should've been told.

Presumably Ashley and Mort told Keegan of their plans to put in place a tiered management structure, but that none of the new staff would have any influence over or input into first team affairs unless Keegan wanted them to. He wouldn't have rejoined the club if he wasn't happy with the proposed new structure.

Is Keegan really the best qualified man to decide who takes up an executive management role at board level?

However, Keegan - who is also thought to be close to handing Newcastle legend Alan Shearer a role at St James' Park - confesses he is in the dark regarding Wise's arrival.

"I am reluctant to tell you all I know as I really do not know anything." Keegan told reporters ahead of Newcastle's Premier League clash with Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday.

keegan should've been informed beforehand, i think?!

It's one paper FFS. Are you really that stupid that you believe it is true, just because it's in a paper?

The quotes dont even back up the story. All he is saying is that he doesnt know the details of it, not that he wasn't informed.

Keegan is keeping much of the 20+ backroom that was inherited from Allardyce, isn't that correct?

Until Allardyce gets another job anyway...

We will make money off it so i'm not worried.

More concerned about having to find so many people in a short period of time tbh. The money/compensation doesn't really matter.

Why oh Wise!?

I can't see the logic in his appointment. I was hoping if we appointed a Director of Football that he would be someone who was a deep thinker on the game, someone respected throughout the game, and someone who had built up a huge network of contacts within the game, IMO Wise fails on all 3 counts.

His appointment smacks of jobs for the boys with that t*** Kemsley advising Mike Ashley.

Where's the link between Wise and Kemsley?

There isn't a strong one, they simply all know one another going back to Wise's Chelsea days when Jimenez was heavily involved. 

Relating to the original post, not so much jobs for the boys as jobs for the ones you trust.  Nor would I describe Kemsley as a t***, ruthless c*** maybe, just like Ashley.  Neither got seriously wealthy by being nice, two peas in a pod.

My swear filter is off. Why am I seeing stars?

I always type in stars.  If people here have youngsters, they want them to support the team but language blah blah blah etc.

Keegan is keeping much of the 20+ backroom that was inherited from Allardyce, isn't that correct?

Until Allardyce gets another job anyway...

We will make money off it so i'm not worried.

More concerned about having to find so many people in a short period of time tbh. The money/compensation doesn't really matter.

I doubt many people will be coming in for them, its not a worry imo.

SA would have to get a bigger club for starters, we've just nailed them down to massive contracts, a smaller club will find it hard to stump up the contract pay off, even Ireland won't pay those kind of monies for backroom staff, i guess they are staying unless we don't want them.

Kadar, Baheng and Tozer.

Were these signings really Sam's acquisitions or were the Triumvirate of Terror/Axis of Evil/Holy Trinity/Charmed Ones/Mike Ashley and Cockney Treble/Three Amigos/Triple Threat/Ashley's Angels truly responsible?

Kadar, Baheng and Tozer.

Were these signings really Sam's acquisitions or were the Triumvirate of Terror/Axis of Evil truly responsible?

:laugh:

As a serious answer, I actually hope the latter would be correct after how things have turned out!

Guest float one in

I just can't believe KK wouldn't have been told exactly what Mort's plans were regarding bringing Wise and these other two geezers in when they offered him the job, it would be absolute amtateur land and I reckon Mort and Ashley are a lot better than that. To think they'd give him a 3 million a year, 3 1/2 year contract without telling him these plans, which will have a massive effect on the club, is madness. Therefore he must have agreed and be OK with it. To me this whole restructuring mallarkey now means we've got the best of both worlds: 1) we're going to have a more modern set-up, with more attention being paid to scouting all over the world and all that carry on, which the best clubs seem to have, and 2) we've got KK in charge of the first team, hopefully doing what he does best and isnsipring our players into blitzing other teams off the pitch with irresistable attacking football, and lead us back to the good times!

I've got two possible problems: 1) as everyone knows, Dennis Wise was a complete horrible little welp when he was a player and it does feel a bit strange having him as part of the club, just as it did when we signed Bowyer and Barton, and 2) KK won't have players forced on him, or his judgement on players being doubted or overridden by Wise in anyway - if that starts to happen there'll be ructions and we could see another walk out. Its well known he likes to get what he wants, although I suspect that side of him might have mellowed a bit over the last 10 years.

If Mort's done all this properly and has made sure no-ones stepping on Keegan's toes, and we've not really got any reason to think he won't have done it properly, it could be the start of some serious improvements right through the whole club I reckon.

Just read this in the gruniad, still it makes no sense to me at all except that it is jobs for the boys. Nothing more nothing less. But think on after the Uncle Robson debacle, sourmess, roeder the motivator and BSA it is good to see that we are still a laughing stock. Can this be good for business and hence success?

Continuous Belly Laughing, and £10m For Alan Hutton

Scott Murray and Sean Ingle

Tuesday January 29, 2008

Guardian Unlimited

DENNIS WISE: A TIMELINE

[Ambient note - the following story should only be read while listening to this piece of music]

Monday January 28, 2008: 11.59am

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley goes to lunch.

3.17pm

Mike Ashley finishes lunch.

3.18pm

Mike Ashley decides to put on his replica shirt.

3.19pm-3.27pm

Mike Ashley squeezes into his replica shirt.

3.28pm

The replica shirt restricts Ashley’s lungs to such an extent that the blood supply to his brain is cut off.

3.37pm

Tragedy is thankfully averted as Mrs Ellen Shearer, the suspicious-looking Newcastle tea lady, pops round with Ashley’s mid-afternoon buns, finds a distressed Ashley thrashing about, and cuts him out of the replica shirt (using the sword of Damocles she was on her way to hang in the manager’s office).

3.38pm

It transpires Mrs Shearer did not in fact arrive in time to avert tragedy totally, as while the blood supply to Ashley’s brain was cut off, he phoned Leeds manager Dennis Wise, giving him a £1.5m-per-year rolling contract and a seat on the board as an “executive director on football-related matters”.

3.39pm-11.59pm

Continuous belly laughing can be heard from the south-east, approximately 12 miles away.

Tuesday January 29, 2008: 9am

A new morning. Kevin Keegan insists he is “very happy” about the Wise affair, despite having said, upon being asked three months ago if he would assist then-manager Sam Allardyce as director of football, that Allardyce “would be a fool to let it happen and the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it. The chairman, who is not a fool, would be a fool to go and do it, too. It doesn’t work.”

9.01am

Keegan disappears from view for the entire day - absolutely not, y’know, to draft, y’know, a resignation letter, y’know, just in case - in a large puff of smoke which blasts from his lugs.

9.02am-12.13pm

Continuous belly laughing can be heard from the south, approximately 100 miles away, where not only has never-popular ex-Chelsea legend Wise left Elland Road for good, Dave Bassett - blamed by many Leeds fans for a dreadful run of form which is jiggering their automatic promotion push - ends his stint in charge as caretaker boss after 36.73 seconds.

12.14pm

Someone at Newcastle - Wise? Keegan? Shearer? Ashley? Cobley? - makes a verbal offer to Derby County for highly-rated 19-year-old winger Giles Barnes.

12.15pm-1.32pm

Continuous belly laughing can be heard from the south, approximately 167 miles away, in the Pride Park manager’s office.

1.33pm

Paul Jewell wipes a tear from his eye and gathers his composure long enough to explain: “When I see other players leaving for £4m or £5m what we want is not unreasonable. He is not going to leave here on the cheap because he is a player we would like to keep. But if Giles wants to go and play somewhere else, he wants to play in the Premier League, we won’t stand in his way, as long as that is right for the club.”

1.34pm

Back up north, Newcastle suit Chris Mort tries to reassure Keegan and explain why the club have employed Wise: “Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the club, were that the club would benefit from having a football person involved at board level. Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence ...”

1.34pm and 17 seconds

Continuous belly laughing can be heard from around the country, in 360-degree surround sound.

5.04pm

Surround-sound laughter suddenly moves up an entire octave in pitch thanks to increased wave oscillations in the Leeds area, where guffawing becomes increasingly manic due to managerial appointment of Gary McAllister, a former fans’ favourite and more importantly Not Dennis Wise.

Wise will help us follow Arsenal, claims Keegan

Comment

Newcastle's new executive director, Dennis Wise

KEVIN Keegan last night claimed Dennis Wise's appointment as Newcastle's new executive director would help the Magpies emulate the model of recruiting and developing players that has transformed Arsenal into the most successful club side in the country.

Wise was at the Emirates Stadium yesterday to watch Newcastle's second 3-0 defeat to the Gunners in the space of four days.

He was officially confirmed as part of Newcastle's new managerial structure less than 24 hours after he stepped down as manager of Leeds United.

Tony Jimenez was also confirmed as the club's new vice-president (player recruitment), and former Real Madrid scout Jeff Vetere was appointed technical co-ordinator.

The trio of appointments has created a tier of management that will be responsible for overhauling Newcastle's Academy system, as well as scouting and development of emerging talent from all corners of the world.

Arsenal have profited from such a system since Arsene Wenger was appointed more than a decade ago, with last night's victory taking them three points clear of Manchester United at the top of the Premier League table.

advertisement

With Keegan retaining sole responsibility for Newcastle's first-team affairs, critics have claimed that Wise's appointment will create inevitable tension.

But after again insisting he was aware of Wise's likely arrival when he agreed to succeed Sam Allardyce, Keegan has claimed the former England international will help Newcastle emulate Arsenal's successful blueprint for spotting and nurturing talent.

"I'm fine about all of this," said the Magpies manager. "I pretty much know from conversations we had what Dennis is going to do.

"The idea in principle is very good - to go and look for young players and bring a lot of youngsters in to shore up what we haven't got enough of in our Academy. It's really for my benefit.

"Newcastle is a great club and it's all there - it's just not packaged quite right at the moment. The reason Arsenal are doing well is that they are packaged in a way that all the people know what they're all about.

"I don't think we're there yet, and that's why these changes are necessary. I think they're right, and you know I'd be the first person to tell you if I didn't."

Having been taken somewhat by surprise by the speed of this week's developments, Keegan intends to hold a face-to-face discussion with both Wise and Jimenez before Sunday's game with Middlesbrough.

The Magpies manager worked with Wise during England's ill-fated campaign at Euro 2000, and feels confident the former Leeds manager will be a success in his new position.

"I'm all for the changes," he added. "It's not a problem, I approve of them. We had this discussion when I took the job.

"I didn't know who would be the director, but they want someone on the board who understands football.

"Whatever people want to write about Dennis Wise, he does understand football. I know Dennis and I think it will work very well. But time will tell.

"People are entitled to write what they want but, from my point of view, I see it as a positive thing. As long as I can get on with my job, and I get all the help I need - and that's the way it's been put to me - you would be a fool to say, 'Well, I don't want that'."

One of Wise's chief responsibilities will be the scouting of new players, but with the transfer window due to close tomorrow evening, Keegan has all but accepted that he will not be welcoming a new arrival this month.

Derby turned down Newcastle's £2m offer for Giles Barnes this week.

But while Rams boss Paul Jewell has admitted the teenage midfielder will be allowed to leave if the price is right, Keegan does not anticipate an increased bid being lodged within the next 48 hours.

"I don't think it'll happen," he said.

"If we'd got two players in, which was the original intention, someone like him would have been perfect to slide in as one for the future.

"I don't think we'll do it in this transfer window, but we might do three or four of those types of signings in the summer.

"That's what this new set-up is all about. It could be a very interesting to club to be at. I think it will be."

Interesting article but the transfer bit sounds a bit shite!  3 or 4 in the summer Kev? How about 10 or 12 FFS