Spurs sign Jonathan Woodgate

Leazes1986

Boro fear United bid for Woodgate

Jan 23 2008

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

MIDDLESBROUGH are bracing themselves for a bid from Newcastle United for their England centre-half Jonathan Woodgate.

Jonathan Woodgate

That was the news coming out of Teesside today as Kevin Keegan and his right-hand men Terry McDermott and Arthur Cox scour Europe for a top central defender.

And on his day – and when he is fit – they do not come any better than Woodgate who, of course, had a short spell at St James’s Park after Sir Bobby Robson paid £9m to bring him from Leeds United in January 2003.

It was Keegan who gave Woodgate his England debut against Bulgaria in 1999, and there is no doubt that he rates the Middlesbrough defender who celebrated his 28th birthday yesterday very highly indeed.

The word coming out of Teesside is that Woodgate is disenchanted with life at the Riverside Stadium, and that he would be interested in a move back to United.

Woodgate was Middlesbrough vice-captain, but when regular skipper George Boateng lost his place Gareth Southgate has been reluctant to throw him the armband.

United striker Shola Ameobi has a lot of fans among managers both in the Premier League and the Championship.

Southgate is one of them and if he gives in on his fight to keep Woodgate at Middlesbrough, then he is likely to insist on the United striker going in the opposite direction.

Obviously, Middlesbrough would fight to keep Woodgate, just as they did when United and Glenn Roeder first wanted Mark Viduka in the summer of 2006.

Woodgate only started 28 games for United in the Premier League, but he is still the best central defender I have seen in a black-and-white shirt in the last 30 years.

As far as signings are concerned Keegan could hardly have picked a worse time to return as United manager with the transfer window slamming shut again a week tomorrow.

But today was a big day for United central defender Steven Taylor who chalked up his 22nd birthday.

And Taylor will be relishing clashing with Emmanuel Adebayor on Saturday – if Arsene Wenger plays the Togo striker.

But Taylor will not have any inferiority complex when he heads for The Emirates after scoring United’s goal in the 1-1 draw with Arsenal at St James’s Park early last month.

Meanwhile, United fans are really showing their support for Keegan.

For the club announced today that they have sold out their full allocation of 5,000 tickets for Saturday’s tie at The Emirates.

And they will have another 3,000 of the travelling Toon Army for the Premier League game on Tuesday night.

:: AUSTRALIA coach Pim Verbeek has named 39 players in his preliminary squad for their World Cup qualifier against Qatar on February 6 – including United’s James Troisi, but not – Mark Viduka.

Magpies forward Viduka is considering international retire-ment, but has yet to make a final decision.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=boro-fear-united-bid-for-woodgate%26method=full%26objectid=20384045%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Boro fear United bid for Woodgate

Jan 23 2008

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

MIDDLESBROUGH are bracing themselves for a bid from Newcastle United for their England centre-half Jonathan Woodgate.

Jonathan Woodgate

That was the news coming out of Teesside today as Kevin Keegan and his right-hand men Terry McDermott and Arthur Cox scour Europe for a top central defender.

And on his day – and when he is fit – they do not come any better than Woodgate who, of course, had a short spell at St James’s Park after Sir Bobby Robson paid £9m to bring him from Leeds United in January 2003.

It was Keegan who gave Woodgate his England debut against Bulgaria in 1999, and there is no doubt that he rates the Middlesbrough defender who celebrated his 28th birthday yesterday very highly indeed.

The word coming out of Teesside is that Woodgate is disenchanted with life at the Riverside Stadium, and that he would be interested in a move back to United.

Woodgate was Middlesbrough vice-captain, but when regular skipper George Boateng lost his place Gareth Southgate has been reluctant to throw him the armband.

United striker Shola Ameobi has a lot of fans among managers both in the Premier League and the Championship.

Southgate is one of them and if he gives in on his fight to keep Woodgate at Middlesbrough, then he is likely to insist on the United striker going in the opposite direction.

Obviously, Middlesbrough would fight to keep Woodgate, just as they did when United and Glenn Roeder first wanted Mark Viduka in the summer of 2006.

Woodgate only started 28 games for United in the Premier League, but he is still the best central defender I have seen in a black-and-white shirt in the last 30 years.

As far as signings are concerned Keegan could hardly have picked a worse time to return as United manager with the transfer window slamming shut again a week tomorrow.

But today was a big day for United central defender Steven Taylor who chalked up his 22nd birthday.

And Taylor will be relishing clashing with Emmanuel Adebayor on Saturday – if Arsene Wenger plays the Togo striker.

But Taylor will not have any inferiority complex when he heads for The Emirates after scoring United’s goal in the 1-1 draw with Arsenal at St James’s Park early last month.

Meanwhile, United fans are really showing their support for Keegan.

For the club announced today that they have sold out their full allocation of 5,000 tickets for Saturday’s tie at The Emirates.

And they will have another 3,000 of the travelling Toon Army for the Premier League game on Tuesday night.

:: AUSTRALIA coach Pim Verbeek has named 39 players in his preliminary squad for their World Cup qualifier against Qatar on February 6 – including United’s James Troisi, but not – Mark Viduka.

Magpies forward Viduka is considering international retire-ment, but has yet to make a final decision.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=boro-fear-united-bid-for-woodgate%26method=full%26objectid=20384045%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Surely a much worse time to come would be a week today

Very bitter from The Smog Gazette:

Rumour Alert.... Woody Wanted?

Posted by on January 23, 2008 10:37 AM | Permalink

SUGGESTIONS on Tyneside are that Kevin Keegan is poised to make a bid for Jonathan Woodgate.

Those good old "sources close to the club" up there have let it be known that far from all out attacking football, cavalier Keegan's priority is to shore up the defence and - no doubt encouraged by Mad Mike Ashley's five thousand strong away day focus group that is now running the club - Woody is the number one target.

A good transfer rumour has to tick a lot of boxes. It has to make some sense for both clubs to be believeable and develop a life of its own in a lot of ways this one does that. Woodgate is a cultured defender with international experience and so much quality he made Titus Barmble look good last time he was there. He is still very highly rated by the fans at Sid James' Park, he played under Keegan for England, they are a club with money to better his Boro wages, he has some good friends already in the team up there and could commute easily.

Meanwhile Boro are well endowed in central defence with Huth-Wheater-Pogatetz and while a fully fit Woody is the crown jewel of the backline he has struggled to reach a state on injury-free efficiency this term. And if, as we have discussed before on here, some of the higher value chips must be cashed in to fund Alves then some may calculate that it should rather be Woody than Downing. It would leave Boro needing a left back but arguably that is a priority area for cover already and a reshuffle may just bring that investment forward.

And it should be remembered that for all the emphasis on attacking, Kamikaze Keegan's first signing at Newcastle last time was a shaggy haired central defender too. He splashed out £250,000 to snap up footballing grebo Brian 'Killer' Kilcline, a purchase that stemmed the flow of goals against and helped build a platform for the all out attacking football that was to follow.

Of course, this all just conjecture. There has been no bid, nor yet even any formal inquiry. But it is a word from sources that are usually very well informed. So on a par with Downing to Spurs stories then, although not yet with the persistence. There may be nothing in it but we are fast approaching the witching hour, transfer window wise and anything can happen.

Guest Ridzuan

I would be happy if Woody decided to come back here but he has a serious fitness issues so if I dont think Keegan should pay more than 5m for his service if he is indeed going after Woody.

I think I'm in the same opinion as most people when I say I'd love him here as long as he can stay fit (I wouldn't pay more than £4m)

Although we have some good defenders here so if he was injured we'd most likely have a player good enough on standby. So I support this bid fo sho!  :thup:

Would rather have Sol Campbell, simply because of Woody's fitness issues, although he did manage 40 games or so last season, and has played in 20+ this term as well. It's obviously a big, big gamble, but it could turn out to be a masterstroke - especially if Ameobi goes the other way.

Consistency at the back is absolutely vital, though.

Worth it for a cheap price, no more than £5m but i doubt Boro would accept less than they paid, especially off us.

Would be my 1st choice captain as well.

The problem with Woodgate last time was our over reliance on him. When he was injured we had nothing, Woody would be great with at least two other half decent CB's, Faye & Taylor are them, if we could loan Van Buyten as well then we'd have our best ever choice of CB's in history.

Cacapa & Rozy, the door is thatta way ->

Worth it for a cheap price, no more than £5m but i doubt Boro would accept less than they paid, especially off us.

The problem with Woodgate last time was our over reliance on him. When he was injured we had nothing, Woody would be great with at least two other half decent CB's, Faye & Taylor are them, if we could loan Van Buyten as well then we'd have our best ever choice of CB's in history.

What's your problem with Cacapa btw TT? As you don't seem to rate him at all.

He's shite that's my problem.

Complete liability, i just wish some of these famous injuries would kick in so we can keep him out of the team. Should go back to France, this league is fa too rough for him, same goes for Rozy, the pair are soft fannies.

Ca

Cacpa should stay definitely we need his experience, but unfortunately he hasnt been good of late since the Portsmouth match hes looked shaky alot of times, and although better then Rozy hes not better then Faye or Taylor. Dont get me wrong im a huge Cacapa fan and i was happy when he came, especially to see a player from my own country come play at Newcastle, but who signs a brazilian defender who doesn't play fo rthe national team like my father says? They're not good, although Lucio is an immense player.

Ca

Cacpa should stay definitely we need his experience, but unfortunately he hasnt been good of late since the Portsmouth match hes looked shaky alot of times, and although better then Rozy hes not better then Faye or Taylor. Dont get me wrong im a huge Cacapa fan and i was happy when he came, especially to see a player from my own country come play at Newcastle, but who signs a brazilian defender who doesn't play fo rthe national team like my father says? They're not good, although Lucio is an immense player.

Was my MOM on Saturday.

Cacapa's a very good footballer. Every now and then he seems to get caught out by pacey players but he's by far from poor and i would certainly not be embarrassed about having him in the squad.

For me Faye and Taylor are very good.

Taylor and Faye yes, Cacapa NO!

He's a big liability who only plays in fits, Titus mark 2 IMO!

Woodgate and Taylor would be an ideal pairing, allowing Faye to cover/prove his worth in DM while taylor could grow and grow beside Woody!

I think he would come back too as he now realises that football is a short carrer and its best to try and win something/be part of something special!

Get him in!

I love the knee-jerkism on football forums like. Cacapa a couple of months ago was top drawer, best defender we've had since Woodgate etc and Taylor was gash. Now everyone seems to be overrating Taylor and saying how bad Cacapa is.  :rolleyes:

trust me I have NEVER complimented Cacapa on here, I took a good look at him after reading the early season rave reviews of him and was never impressed!

Think he is slow, tries to play out of defence but cant, has moments of poor judgement and has cost us goals as such!

I have always rated Tayls as I believe, albeit at the moment raw, he has the talent to go right to the top, and I think someone like Wooodgate, or even Campbell, would aid this development.

Faye, after a slighty slow start, has impressed me but I see him long term as a good covering squad player, not a starter!

I love the knee-jerkism on football forums like. Cacapa a couple of months ago was top drawer, best defender we've had since Woodgate etc and Taylor was gash. Now everyone seems to be overrating Taylor and saying how bad Cacapa is.  :rolleyes:

Good job i;ve never rated him then isn't it, you can go back and check all my posts on him, at most i've given him time to settle in, that's about it.

Taylor i've always rated and stuck up for, but been realistic about at the same time.

So who are these kneejerkers you talk of?