Spurs sign Jonathan Woodgate

Leazes1986

Basically, my moral of the story is, we still need to be careful even if we do have a colossal pit of money. Things can go up the shit creek quite quickly.

Agree. I still don't want us to waste money, no matter how rich the owner is. Not saying Woodgate is a waste of money btw.

Argh, this is my exact point though, how can we say we've "wasted money" until after the event?

None of us are intelligent enough/know enough to accurately call every transfer, unfortunately.

Add: If we did pay £9M for Woodgate, then it would mean that the club (Keegan, chairman, etc.) thought he was worth it, and those are the blokes that matter and those are the blokes you'd expect to know best.

Guess I'm referring to the Owen transfer. That was pretty fucking obviously a silly move. :razz:

Everyone likes to debate transfers and fees, I just wouldn't want us to spend so much on a player that has such a history of injury problems. Same with Barton and his disciplinary issues. If we'd paid £8m or whatever for him I'd have been gutted, even if it's pocket change to Ashley.

Speculate to accumulate by all means, but don't go daft just because you can.

Guess I'm just used to seeing things fail for us, that's all. :(

There weren't that many people calling the Owen move that at the time were there? I remember Wullie being unimpressed, but most others were delighted with such a signing, even for the money we paid. It's proven to be a bad transfer so far though, and he's going to have to go some way to turn that around now.

That end point is the crux of it, and it's understandable. So many people have been embittered by the numerous "failed" transfers over the years that they instantly declare an amount "too much" without a second thought. I'm far too optimistic for that sort of approach though. I'd rather give the blokes running the place a fair chance, give the players they sign a fair chance and THEN berate them all when things go tits up.

Before we get a new manager in and the cycle starts over again, of course.

For the minute I trust Keegan and Mort to do the right business for the club, and I trust Ashley to provide the necessary funds without endangering the club. What would he have to gain from that?

Apologies for the topic swerve, anyway, but to get things back on track: if we were to sign Woodgate for £9M (which I reiterate is probably an overestimated guess) then I just hope more people would judge the deal in time, rather than immediately and be waiting for it to fail just to say "I told you so". Which a lot of people love to do on here.

More people were bothered that the Owen deal financially crippled us rather than him not being worth £16 million tbh.

In fact if Owen had come here and continued his Newcastle career the way he started it then £16 million would have been decent value.

I'm worried about this potential move, even though I think Woodgate's the best Centre Half we've had in decades, his injury record is poor and the last thing we need is a player in and out of the back four disrupting any consistency or cohesion.

Guest pete in bahamas

Woodgate played 30 games last season for Boro, only Milner and Martins had more for us.

This season he has 16 starts, only four of our players have made more starts.

source Macbeth

notbbc

fact

Well imho he is the best centre half we had and in the games he played for us he kept people out virtually on his own. He also made the defence stronger as a unit. Bramble was not half as bad.

He has a horrific injury record but I don't think has been that bad at boro. I would take him like.

Jack how does ya source know like is he the mole at the club ?

Well imho he is the best centre half we had and in the games he played for us he kept people out virtually on his own. He also made the defence stronger as a unit. Bramble was not half as bad.

He has a horrific injury record but I don't think has been that bad at boro. I would take him like.

Jack how does ya source know like is he the mole at the club ?

Beauty spot!! be nice

Guest toonlass

to be unveiled tomorrow if all goes to plan.....don't shoot the messenger, but a pretty reliable bloke has told me that it will happen....

Heard this too, from a friend's cousin who works at the training ground. He sounded pretty certain, but I take it with a pinch of salt cos normally I hate these ITK things.

Not sure on this one. Great player but poor injury record. Some have mentioned he's played quite a few games for Boro but does that mean he's over his problems or he's just been really lucky lately? Lets just hope if this is true we don't blow to much money on him.

Magpies move for Woodgate

Keegan looks to bring in defender

By Graeme Bailey   Last updated: 23rd January 2008

Skysports.com understands that Newcastle have opened talks about talking Jonathan Woodgate back to Tyneside.

In news that will shock many Middlesbrough fans, Boro seem set to let the England defender depart The Riverside.

Woodgate rejected the chance to re-join Newcastle in 2007 when he opted instead to pen a permanent deal with Boro - where he had spent the previous season on loan from Real Madrid.

However, Woodgate is understood to have become increasingly unsettled with life under Gareth Southgate at Boro and he could now be set to depart his hometown club.

With David Wheater and Roberth Huth performing admirably, and with Chris Riggott and Emmanuel Pogagtetz, also available to him - Southgate has seemingly decided that he can do without Woodgate.

Woodgate spent 18 months with Newcastle up to August 2004 - when Madrid paid more than £13million to secure his services.

Advanced

Tottenham are also thought to have expressed their interest, but a deal with Newcastle is much further advanced and Woodgate is reported to have met Magpies officials in the last 48 hours.

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan handed Woodgate his England debut and he has remained a firm fan ever since, with the player still popular with the Toon Army following his earlier stint.

Boro paid around £7million last summer to take Woodgate from the Spanish capital and they are set to make profit on the 27-year-old with a fee of up to £9million being suggested.

Despite the fact Boro are well stocked in central defence, and they would make money, the move is likely to be met with dismay by many sections of the Boro faithful who are still licking their wounds from Mark Viduka's decision to swap Teesside for Tyneside last summer.

We arnt Boro, we are NUFC and if he came here he WOULD get injured long term, it would have to happen to him here like it has to most of our other players.

QFT. Have we learnt nothing from Owen?