Spurs sign Jonathan Woodgate

Leazes1986

The Daily Mail are saying:

Spurs switch focus to £7m Woodgate

Last updated at 22:15pm on 24th January 2008

Comments

Tottenham are ready to make a £7million offer for Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Woodgate as they prepare to pull out of a move for his team-mate Stewart Downing.

Although Gareth Southgate insists he is in no rush to sell either player, the Boro manager is keen for their futures to be resolved quickly after losing striker Yakubu in a £13m deal to Everton right at the end of the August transfer window, leaving him little time to find a replacement.

Newcastle's interest in their former centre-back Woodgate has cooled with new boss Kevin Keegan only prepared to offer £4m.

Tottenham are close to matching the £7m Woodgate cost Boro from Real Madrid in the summer, but are unlikely to meet Boro's £10m asking price for Downing. Spurs have set a Sunday deadline for agreement to be reached on Tiago's £9m move from Juventus.

A fee has been agreed between the two clubs, but Tiago's inflated wage demands are proving to be a stumbling block with the former Chelsea player demanding around £50,000-a-week and Spurs reluctant to go above £40,000.

If the midfielder refuses to bend by the weekend then boss Juande Ramos will pursue other targets, with Valencia's out-of-favour Spanish midfielder David Albelda one option.

Spurs goalkeeper Radek Cerny admits he would be interested in a move to QPR — even though he has just become first-choice at White Hart Lane.

Cerny's loan deal from Slavia Prague expires in the summer and his agent Pavel Paska is believed to have held talks with QPR's co-owner Flavio Briatore.

"Considering that my contract in Tottenham expires in the summer, I must be looking for a different club," said Cerny. "If QPR were it, then I would go there."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=510225&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Don't think Spurs are after Woodgate, they're chasing after Garay.  Can't believe that KK would only offer £4m, Boro would never sell him at that price.  The bit in the article about Woodgate seems to me to be well off the mark

The Mail are now saying a Spurs offer of £7m has been accepted!!  Not happy tbh if it's true.

Spurs and Middlesbrough agree £7million fee for Woodgate

Last updated at 23:09pm on 24th January 2008

Comments

Tottenham have had a £7million offer for Jonathan Woodgate accepted by Middlesbrough, who have given the defender permission to talk with the London club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=510225&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate at the same club, brilliant when both fit, a nightmare most of the time.

What a partnership that would be, though, if both were at the top of their fitness/game.

I love the knee-jerkism on football forums like. Cacapa a couple of months ago was top drawer, best defender we've had since Woodgate etc and Taylor was gash. Now everyone seems to be overrating Taylor and saying how bad Cacapa is.  :rolleyes:

Good job i;ve never rated him then isn't it, you can go back and check all my posts on him, at most i've given him time to settle in, that's about it.

Taylor i've always rated and stuck up for, but been realistic about at the same time.

So who are these kneejerkers you talk of?

obviously the posters a couple of posts above you :lol:

i've got a lot of time for cacapa. he has a great pedigree, so i'm willing to give him time and he has had some really good games.

Cacapa may have a "pedigree", but he's in the premiership now. He's weak as horseshit. You are right, people made a kneejerk reaction and some people were wetting their pants about him. Well, he's a foreigner  bluelaugh.gif

Taylor is a homegrown lad, with rough edges certainly, but he'll be one of the top defenders in the premiership, give me Taylor over Cacapa anyday

Would the David Dickinsons of this forum suggest £7M as a fair price for Woodgate, then?

Aye, it's fair. Boro paid that for him a year ago. If he was worth £7m then, then he'd probably be worth a bit less than that today. But the inflation comes into it. Aye, i know i'm being pretty statistical, but i'd be frustrated if we were to go over the odds and pay £9m for a player that has declined in fitness and quality over the last 12 months.

Would the David Dickinsons of this forum suggest £7M as a fair price for Woodgate, then?

Aye, it's fair. Boro paid that for him a year ago. If he was worth £7m then, then he'd probably be worth a bit less than that today. But the inflation comes into it. Aye, i know i'm being pretty statistical, but i'd be frustrated if we were to go over the odds and pay £9m for a player that has declined in fitness and quality over the last 12 months.

Your self-awareness has made me smile. ;D

he's worth what somebody is prepared to pay for him.

For me, yeah £7m is a fair price for all parties

Exactamundo.

The Mail are now saying a Spurs offer of £7m has been accepted!!  Not happy tbh if it's true.

Comments

Tottenham have had a £7million offer for Jonathan Woodgate accepted by Middlesbrough, who have given the defender permission to talk with the London club.

Wonder if we'll match that now or not?  If Ashley wants to give Keegan a blank cheque,  it'd seem a bit silly not to use it to outbid/match another clubs offer for a supposed target.  If given the choice,  i'd like to think Woodgate would choose us.

Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate at the same club, brilliant when both fit, a nightmare most of the time.

What a partnership that would be, though, if both were at the top of their fitness/game.

Already being suggested on a Spurs forum that Ledders and Woody could job share!!  That's the problem though, two top class CD's but both are made of glass.  I'm hoping that if it is true, Woody is the backup deal should Garay all fall through.

Comments

Wonder if we'll match that now or not?  If Ashley wants to give Keegan a blank cheque,  it'd seem a bit silly not to use it to outbid/match another clubs offer for a supposed target.  If given the choice,  i'd like to think Woodgate would choose us.

No doubt in my mind that if he did have the choice, Woody would choose Newcastle.

Comments

No doubt in my mind that if he did have the choice, Woody would choose Newcastle.

££££££££££

Is that a compliment? ;)

Is that a compliment?

Aye, it's good to be self aware.

:lol:

I ought to start paying you for classes.

Fine by me, I give you good price.

To return to Woody though, if Keegan genuinely wants the lad, then I do hope we match Spurs' offer and that Woodgate comes here, naturally. Howay man Woody, you can even keep that daft number "8" you've been wearing on your back if you come here.

Fucking Jenas has it at Spurs... but their 27 is free *gasp*.

Comments

££££££££££

No, location.

Northern lad, played for Newcastle before, wouldn't have to move.  If he did have the choice I can't think of one good reason why he would opt for Spurs.

Europe? Bright lights of London? Jermaine Jenas? The #27 jersey?

Is this a trap, MJ?

Dunno tbh.  There isn't an ITK who's called this, at least one would normally see this coming, it's only in the Mail.  I'm not convinced about its accuracy tbh.