Spurs sign Jonathan Woodgate

Leazes1986

Guest johnson293

Woodgate has spoken...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3107850,00.html

Woodgate - Spurs have ambition

Defender hails 'proper manager' Ramos

Last updated: 4th February 2008

Jonathan Woodgate believes Tottenham Hotspur are 'going places' under manager Juande Ramos.

The centre-back joined Spurs from Middlesbrough during the January transfer window, ending an 18-month stay with his hometown club.

Woodgate is delighted to be at White Hart Lane, and is pleased to be playing under a 'proper manager'.

"I could have stayed at Middlesbrough and had the easy, comfortable life, but I wanted to come to Spurs and play for a team who are going places," he said in the Daily Mail.

"I want to play for a club with ambition who are trying to win trophies. With this manager and with these players, you can see what they're trying to build.

"Being at Spurs reminds me of when I was at Leeds and we had all these new players coming in - I was excited.

"The fans are good at Spurs, the manager has won silverware, he looks the part and he knows what he's doing - he's a proper manager.

"I'm playing with good players here. Fabio Capello will come and watch a lot. It's just down the road for him, but it's four hours to Middlesbrough."

The 28-year-old could feature for England on Wednesday after being named in Fabio Capello's 23-man England squad for the game against Switzerland.

Maybe a little paranoia creaping in, but is this another Sky/Daily Mail attempt at having a go at us?

Woodgate turns us down, and now he's saying he wanted to play for a 'proper' manager ,and a club that are 'going places'??

Woodgate has spoken...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3107850,00.html

Woodgate - Spurs have ambition

Defender hails 'proper manager' Ramos

Last updated: 4th February 2008

Jonathan Woodgate believes Tottenham Hotspur are 'going places' under manager Juande Ramos.

The centre-back joined Spurs from Middlesbrough during the January transfer window, ending an 18-month stay with his hometown club.

Woodgate is delighted to be at White Hart Lane, and is pleased to be playing under a 'proper manager'.

"I could have stayed at Middlesbrough and had the easy, comfortable life, but I wanted to come to Spurs and play for a team who are going places," he said in the Daily Mail.

"I want to play for a club with ambition who are trying to win trophies. With this manager and with these players, you can see what they're trying to build.

"Being at Spurs reminds me of when I was at Leeds and we had all these new players coming in - I was excited.

"The fans are good at Spurs, the manager has won silverware, he looks the part and he knows what he's doing - he's a proper manager.

"I'm playing with good players here. Fabio Capello will come and watch a lot. It's just down the road for him, but it's four hours to Middlesbrough."

The 28-year-old could feature for England on Wednesday after being named in Fabio Capello's 23-man England squad for the game against Switzerland.

Maybe a little paranoia creaping in, but is this another Sky/Daily Mail attempt at having a go at us?

Woodgate turns us down, and now he's saying he wanted to play for a 'proper' manager ,and a club that are 'going places'??

Probably a little paranoia tbh.  My guess is that his words were more directed at Southgate and Boro.

I was told on Saturday that Newcastle wasn't seen as a credible option at this point in time.  Woody is comfortable with Spanish thinking on training and nutritional aspects and Spurs have now resolved their problems and are moving forward.  Woody thought more time was needed to get Newcastle to where Spurs are now, he still thinks there are more ripples in the pond to come with Newcastle.

The bit in italics was how it was put to me but I'm not offering it as word for word accuracy. 

Being at Spurs reminds me of when I was at Leeds

We can but hope...

Until recently Spurs had the attitude that they wouldn't pay big wages until they were a top 4 side.  Now they're prepared to pay a crock £65,000 a week and pushing through transfers despite failed medicals (I can't see why Hertha would lie about this).  So I'd say you have reason for more then hope :D

We can but hope...

Until recently Spurs had the attitude that they wouldn't pay big wages until they were a top 4 side.  Now they're prepared to pay a crock £65,000 a week and pushing through transfers despite failed medicals (I can't see why Hertha would lie about this).  So I'd say you have reason for more then hope :D

Reading between the lines the supposed "failed medical" was Spurs pulling a stunt to get the fee knocked down with Hertha knowing it was too late to set up a deal elsewhere and that they'd lose the  player for  nothing in the summer if they didn't sell now.

It  makes sense if you put it together with Hertha Berlin saying they were "disappointed with Spurs conduct" or words to that effect

We can but hope...

Woodgate isn't on £65k pw, he's 4th highest earner behind King, Berbatov and Keane.  There will be performance bonuses on top but if he was on £65k before, he's taken a significant pay cut.  Spurs had Hertha by the balls, accept a reduced fee or he'll go on a Bosman in the summer.  When it was announced Gilberto had failed the medical, I said here the deal will go ahead and it did.  The Janitor said "Don't think he actually failed the medical, or if he did then Spurs have got him cheaper.  For once the Spurs ITK's got this one right, as MJ was on here much earlier today saying the deal would still go through but at a reduced price. They had Hertha by the short and curlies apparently."

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48098.msg1187589#msg1187589

We can but hope...

Woodgate isn't on £65k pw, he's 4th highest earner behind King, Berbatov and Keane.  There will be performance bonuses on top but if he was on £65k before, he's taken a significant pay cut.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48098.msg1187589#msg1187589

I knew I'd get some kind of Spurs ITK reply :D  Tell me, how is it that every Spurs fan knows exactly what's going on at Spurs (and most other clubs usually)?....  Every report I've seen says £65,000 a week, which is slightly more then he was on at Boro, pay cut?, you must be mad.

Guest kingdawson

We can but hope...

Woodgate isn't on £65k pw, he's 4th highest earner behind King, Berbatov and Keane.  There will be performance bonuses on top but if he was on £65k before, he's taken a significant pay cut.

I knew I'd get some kind of Spurs ITK reply :D  Tell me, how is it that every Spurs fan knows exactly what's going on at Spurs (and most other clubs usually)?....  Every report I've seen says £65,000 a week, which is slightly more then he was on at Boro, pay cut?, you must be mad.

Erm that bit right there is BS.

Well one can assume that Woodgate isnt on anywhere near 65k p/w when it's common knowledge we have a strict wage cap and were even reluctant to break it for Berbatov. Your "I cant see why Hertha would lie about this" line, was pretty funny actually (Thanks for clearing it up 1878 :thup:).

Guest elbee909

Woodgate himself told me he's on 79k you dont get anymore ITK than that

Unless you're a Spurs fan, you can't possibly know, apparently :lol:

Woodgate himself told me he's on 79k you dont get anymore ITK than that

Unless you're a Spurs fan, you can't possibly know, apparently :lol:

he also told me he gets a extra 11k per week when injured.

Why would he go to a so called glamour club in London and leave his comfort zone for a sizeable wage. Chances are that he is on at least what he was on at Boro. He was not forced out of Boro so he had the comfort of being in a good position to negotiate. He and his agent would need to learn a few things if he is going all the way down to London on the same money.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23440346-details/London+is+a+complete+rip-off,+blasts+Spurs'+Woodgate/article.do

London is a complete rip-off, blasts Spurs' Woodgate

Spurs defender Jonathan Woodgate might earn £60,000 a week but house prices in London have left him stunned. In a week when tonight's UEFA Cup tie at home to Slavia Prague followed by his first Wembley final in the Carling Cup against Chelsea are uppermost in Woodgate's mind, it seems the North- South divide is also providing the former Middlesbrough defender with cause for concern.

Revealing his and his girlfriend's living arrangements, Woodgate said: 'I'm still living in a hotel. We need to find a place to live.

'We've seen apartments, we've seen houses and all the prices and it's a lot more expensive down here than it is up north.

'I think you could buy 10 penthouses up north for the price of something down here.

'House prices are a joke, they are. It's unbelievable. When you are looking about and you see some of the houses, you think “What?”

'But that's London and that's the way it is. Hopefully, I can find a house and get settled.

'You just want the right place for you and you want to get it at the right price. You don't want to end up getting ripped off in any way, do you?

'It's expensive for everyone, isn't it? You don't want to be blowing stupid money on a house.'

4 times your salary doesn't go far in London obviously  :thefinger: