The One Thing We Need, Above All Else...

Shak

Guest assyriantoon

I still think midfield playmaker is priority but I agree that we really need the kind of centre forward that can come deep and still score a few. Pandev could definantly do this if he could be signed but I doubt it will happen.

Darren Bent for me.

Yes Spurs paid well over the odds for him, but you could build a midfield and supporting striker around him, he will run the channels and always looks for the ball.

Probably would be available too.

gash

Yes, we need a striker badly and Defoe is definitely not the answer.

Unless we sold Owen, i'd do a straight swap with them tbh.

I want a brick shithouse of a player who'll ruffle defenders, get in the air and present a threat from above, some to bully space for Martins to run in to.

Big man little man combo, Shearer/Bellamy, i want it back asap.

Owen's shite, he's not even worth the shirt he wears on his back these days. Sack him.

A top class striker isnt good enough if he has no quality service to feed off, the one thing we need about all else is a good midfield with quality play makers.

We could sign Bentley and Diego tomorrow and we'd still struggle for goals with our current strikers.

Martins or Owen would both be very effective with a really top class CF to work off, but both are generally a bit lost without one.

I think the situation up front is the same as the situation throughout the team. We have players that many other teams would want; they are better than they have shown this season.

Until we get the time/money required to transform the squad, Keegan needs to focus on getting the best out of the players we have. And I think that will be good enough for top eight (not this year, clearly). Obviously from there we need upgrades.

As I said in the other thread we need fitness levels improved - to the standard Keegan had us in the first season in the Premiership. Our relaive success then was being as dangerous in the 95th minute as we were in the 1st.

We ran out of steam today.

A top class striker isnt good enough if he has no quality service to feed off, the one thing we need about all else is a good midfield with quality play makers.

We could sign Bentley and Diego tomorrow and we'd still struggle for goals with our current strikers.

Martins or Owen would both be very effective with a really top class CF to work off, but both are generally a bit lost without one.

I disagree with that - we do have good strikers. And we'd score more goals as a team.

Is a top class Center-Forward.

Not a CB, not a holding midfielder, not a midfield playmaker, not a right-winger.

As it stands we have nobody, absolutely nobody, that really worries opposing teams up front. Someone that can give us that little bit of magic in the penalty area and drop off and succesfully link the play between midfield and attack and create space and chances for his teammates, along with chipping in with a few goals of his own. It's the main reason why today, despite playing some really tidy stuff and putting a bit of pressure on Arsenal in the first half, we didn't actually look all that likely to actually score.

As it stands, these are our striking options.

Owen : The new Filippo Inzaghi. Offers almost nothing in terms of general build up play, but will score you bags of goals if he's surrounded by a team that will give him top service, as his movement in the box and finishing are quality.

Martins : Has the potential to score a goal from absolutely nothing, but his vision, touch and teamwork are all dreadful. Can't play through him at all as the ball is as likely to ricochet high into the stands as find it's way to a teammate.

Viduka : Actually the closest thing to what I'm talking about. But he's inconsistent, injury prone and at the tail end of his career. Would make a great back-up to whoever we bring in though.

Smith : Just supremely average at the end of the day. Does a half-decent job of dropping off from the front and getting involved, but just doesn't have the class or ability to open teams up or score enough goals to justify a regular place in the team.

Shola : Not good enough, sadly.

I think both Owen and Martins would benefit tremendously from a player like this alongside them, someone who will do the bulk of the work and allow them to come into the game sporadically rather than try and get heavily involved, which they struggle at.

Unfortunately, the odds of getting such a player at this time of the year are minimal. But come the summer time this has to be our number one priority, and if Keegan has the transfer kitty he's rumoured to have to bring in players, I'd be heavily in favour of spending a sizeable portion of it on one top class center-forward.

We can bring in all the playmakers and wingers we want, but we'll never beat teams consistently until we have this type of player at our disposal.

Suggested this at the start of the season and was roundly shot down by the way, let's see how it goes this time.  :lol:

:clap:

I wonder how many people are left that still think we need defenders and have been saying so for the last 18 months or so .......

I wonder how many people are left that still think we need defenders and have been saying so for the last 18 months or so .......

Aye, I'm sure Ramage, Bramble and friends would have done us much prouder today. :idiot2:

Do you post anything that's not trying to score points?

In part I agree that a new striker is needed, particularly for the short-term. In an ideal world if KK could bring a striker in next week of the calibre we are talking about then that's great but I think the long-term priority has to be an attacking CM, a midfielder that can spray the ball about and feed both the wingers and strikers.

At the moment we have no-one that can do this, we are devoid of creativity and therefore our current strikers are left with no service and no opportunity to score goals.

Darren Bent for me.

Yes Spurs paid well over the odds for him, but you could build a midfield and supporting striker around him, he will run the channels and always looks for the ball.

Probably would be available too.

I agree. My opinion of Bent has changed massively. I think him and Martins would be a devasting strike force TBH.

I disagree with that - we do have good strikers. And we'd score more goals as a team.

When Viduka doesn't play we have nobody up front with any class whatsoever on the ball.

Obviously Diego and Bentley would improve us, but someone like Torres would improve us much more.

(Not suggesting Torres is a realistic target before some people go into histrionics)

Aye, I'm sure Ramage, Bramble and friends would have done us much prouder today. :idiot2:

Sometimes. Its a fact Dave, that for all the 7 defenders or so that have came into the club, we aren't performing any better. You can't really blame me if people refuse to see obvious things.

I think shaks post is excellent BTW.

Sometimes. Its a fact Dave, that for all the 7 defenders or so that have came into the club, we aren't performing any better.

I think shaks post is excellent

We needed cunting defenders. Whether they're defending any better is down to the manager; we still fucking needed defenders.

Guest toonlass

If it were up to me I would ship out Owen, Smith and Ameobi right now and get them replaced by Bent, Bentley and Kris Boyd.