Newcastle v Middlesbrough Sun 3rd Feb @ 13:30

Skirge

Enrique's out till the 15th according to physioroom, which if true means Zog at left back I assume. Emre is the key, I've just got that feeling. And when I get that feeling, it's a sexual healing.

Honest question? Where does physioroom get its info from? It often seems like estimates made from college text books to me, and is often wrong.

KK hasnt said he is out, and all signs point to him having a chance to play.

keegan is a regular at disinformation. he'll regularly say someone is out for three weeks and play them the next day

Ive always got the idea with that site that if a injury is reported as say a "hamstring tear" they give a general doctors opinion of it, and put the comeback date in line with it. So I dont think anyone officially tells them a comeback date.

Unless they know a lot of ITK's.

Canny story in the biggest dutch paper. It suggests that Alves is lying about his age. They say he has two passports.

He's 27, quality laugh if he turns out to be 36 :iamatwat:

Isn't that what some people claimed about Martins..!??

Guest wuthering ballsack

Aricle from the tosser at The Times:

THE BOARD of Newcastle United must have been watching that old comedy film, Airplane. There’s a scene where the stricken plane, flown by a troubled novice, is approaching the airport and in the control tower they are debating how best to help him land it. “Let’s turn the lights on the runway,” one advises, and the boss says darkly: “No, that’s just what he’ll be expecting us to do.”

I assume a similar conversation took place at St James’ Park as the board considered the best way to undermine their new manager. Who should we bring in that would really screw him up? they thought. Suddenly, as one, they all said: Dennis Wise! “Perfect. But let’s not tell Keegan we’re appointing him until after the deed’s done. And then insist to him – this is genius – that he has to pretend to the press that he did know about it and is really, delighted. That’ll make him look even more of a dick. And have the players confused and dismayed just as they start their relegation battle against Middlesbrough.”

The Tyne-Tees derby is an interesting affair, in a sort of state-of-the-game ironic sense. If Middlesbrough were Newcastle, Gareth Southgate would have been sacked in September and the team would be on their fifth manager of the season by now, and no better off for it. But Middlesbrough are not Newcastle; their fans, board and chairman are more rational, accustomed to being regarded as the third-string side of the northeast – despite regularly outperforming their hubris-stricken neighbours.

For Boro, and their likeable manager and selfless chairman, Steve Gibson, avoiding relegation while playing attractive football with the best crop of youngsters in the Premier League would be a great achievement. And much though I thought it unlikely at the beginning of the season, an achievement that is beginning to look as if it might be realised. Newcastle, meanwhile, burdened with delusions, with intimations of greatness unfulfilled, expected a place close to the Champions League, as they always do. And, again as they always do, they’ve failed. Relegation would be a disaster, unthinkable, because they’re Newcastle. But they might pull it off. It’s happened before.

Newcastle United wanted a manager who fitted with the image they have of themselves. If they’d wanted a manager who fitted in with the image the rest of us have of them they’d have swooped for Henry Conway, the homosexual fantasist son of the Tory MP Derek Conway, as soon as the story broke. Fur coat and no knickers. But their image of themselves is of latent magnificence, of Wor Jackie and Bobby Moncur and Supermac.

Frankly, nobody is good enough for Newcastle United; if they’d appointed Jesus Christ as manager they’d have whined about him playing with a flat back four and quickly brought in Judas Iscariot to act as a “director of football”. A rational perusal of the long list of those they have employed to drag their team towards the heights of the Premier League would suggest Glenn Roeder has been by far the most successful in recent years, and against all the odds, too. But quiet, likeable, decent Roeder didn’t fit in with that image they had in their heads.

It’s not so long ago I reported here that the disaffected Geordie fans were chanting “Roeder out, Roeder out!” – and on cue, there were anguished missives to this paper from the eastern end of Hadrian’s Wall. But within four weeks, Roeder was out. What, exactly, did he do wrong? He did better for you than you could have expected, at the time.

Or better than any sane, rational, human being could have expected, which maybe isn’t quite the same thing. Bizarre though it might seem, the players seem to have a better grip on reality at St James’ Park than the fans or the board. None are interested in going there, as the January transfer window amply demonstrated. Those who do go there do so at the point of a gun, like poor Michael Owen. The long-serving, such as Shay Given, know they are in for a relegation battle. The rest do their damndest to get the hell out.

Football’s thoroughly agreeable personalities are rare but, you have to say, Kevin Keegan is one of them. His return to Newcastle, I reckon, was motivated by a laudable romanticism. Every neutral supporter would wish him well, while musing that things don’t look too promising. Three games played, one goalless draw, at home to Bolton, and two heavy defeats. No goals scored, six against. I daresay a home defeat to Boro will end with the Keegan Out! chants ringing around the ground, Wisey smirking in the stand.

Meanwhile Boro will continue with the admirable Southgate; the smallest of those three great towns of northeast football and likely, once again, to finish top of the pile. Come on, Boro.

KK should pin that up on the dressing room wall and make them all read it. If that doesn't get them up for the game, nowt will.

Looking forward to seeing Wheater play, see if he matches the hype. Don't get this confused with looking forward to seeing Wheater, even his own mother doesn't look forward to that.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/gazettelive/sep2006/9/8/8754A26B-9853-E063-CE48AD1229F470BD.jpg

Anyone see Bernie Slaven on SSN saying that there has never been an atmosphere at St James reckon he will get one today

This game is one of the biggest games for NUFC in a long long time

a must win

Hopefully Viduka will strike a dagger through Slaven's heart by scoring the winner.

Anyone see Bernie Slaven on SSN saying that there has never been an atmosphere at St James reckon he will get one today

a must win

Hopefully Viduka will strike a dagger through Slaven's heart by scoring the winner.

If he is playing??

a must win

If he is playing??

He was talking about being involved in one of the papers yesterday FWIW.

Guest optimistic nit

its amazing that they can continue to write this stuff without criticism. they're trying every concievable angle, even roping in phrases such as "club insider" and "wise said privately" (essentially code for we're making this stuff up lads) followed by pure keegan bashing, its quite sad. :lol:

Guest Stephen927

Huge game.

Would love to be able to sit here with confidence and say we'll win 2-0 and pick up the three points. Looking at our next 4 games, this and Blackburn at home are where we should be picking up maximum points. Lose here and it heaps pressure on for Villa away and the visit of Man United.

I don't think we're in any danger of being relegated, but if we lose this game there won't be many more points for maybe 4 or 5 games until Birmingham away, and who knows they may have closed the gap.

On a positive note, it's a derby game, so I have a considerable amount of faith in Keegan to get the players motivated for it.

1-0 Newcastle

(Duff, 59 mins)